Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

16 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

There aren't that many options; Verizon is garbage, Sprint merged with T-Mobile, and might or might not be garbage - Sprint was alright, T-Mobile was borderline - and I've heard little good of AT&T. 

Where we are, coverage is garbage regardless, admittedly...

I think Cricket still exists, but I have no idea what they offer and whether it's any use.

Pick your poison is unpleasantly accurate, unfortunately. :/

It’s even worse where I live. Verizon is basically the only provider that has coverage for large parts of the area around here. 

17 hours ago, Crowley said:

BWAHAHAHA! That's amazing!!

Okay, finding daycare options is... there are so many, and the websites aren't nearly as informative as I'd like. Please, make it easier for me to compare places...

You’re going to have to talk to people. If you have friends or coworkers or relatives in the area with kids, ask them about their experiences. If you can, take a tour of the center. Make sure the place you pick has the correct accreditation’s, and that the staff is well trained. With your first child it’s very important that you feel comfortable leaving your baby with the daycare you choose, otherwise your baby will pick up on your unease and start out not feeling comfortable. 

Also, be prepared for waiting lists. 

• Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My homebrew club had our March virtual meeting last night and the results of the only club competition we were able to hold this year (the club year being defined as September through May) were announced. This competition was held back in the mid October and was something called Iron Kettle. Usually it's kind of like the show Iron Chef where everyone shows up with their equipment and gets a bunch of the same ingredients as everyone else and then is expected to make a beer out of them on the spot with no more than about 15 minutes to write a recipe. Ingredients are usually a little weird just to add some fun to the contest. We've brewed with everything from whole coconuts, to donuts, to corn flakes. This year it was a little different in that we all knew what beer we were brewing in advance (a clone of Weathered Souls' Black is Beautiful Imperial Stout) and then got to bring our own secret ingredients to change it up a bit. 

Usually judging is done at either the summer picnic or our holiday party by other club members. This year we had intended to do the judging at a holiday get together in December at a brewery with a nice outdoor area with a couple of nice fire pits and heaters to keep guests warm and responsibly distanced from one another. Unfortunately, Covid cases began spiking after Thanksgiving so the group decided to cancel the in person get together out of an abundance of caution (wise choice in my opinion). Of course this means we had no way of judging the Iron Kettle and everyone just assumed it would be a wash this year. Then, at the end of February, the club president said they found a way to judge them and to drop off your entries at a local homebrew supply store. Turns out they found a head brewer of a place about an hour north of us who also lives with a cicerone (professional beer snob) and they were able to judge the beers without violating any social distancing rules. 

Well, to get to the point, my wife and I won! Our secret ingredients were about 6 ounces of chicory and a couple of pints of cold brewed coffee added in at the end of fermentation for 10 gallons of beer. The head brewer fellow said he hated it the first time he tried it, but the cicerone apparently loved it and kept voting for it to keep it from being eliminated. In the meeting he said that after he tried it a few times it kept growing on him and that he really liked the flavor of the chicory after it warmed up a bit. He also admitted to never having tasted chicory or even knowing what it is, so I can see why he wouldn't like it at first - it has a fairly bitter up front flavor. This has got me really happy for a number of reasons. First, this is our first time winning a brewing competition, I've placed a few times but never won. Second, there's this really annoying and arrogant guy in the club with a popular youtube brewing channel and he's always talking down to anyone who doesn't brew on a $10k minimum setup. He even took the time at the competition to come over to and criticize and laugh at our setup. Well his beer didn't even place. I'm sure he'll be complaining about it for the next couple of weeks on our club forum and that brings a little smirk to my face. And finally, I'm super happy about this because we brewed another 5 gallon batch of this recipe a couple of weekends ago and it should be ready to share with the club at our first expected in person meeting since the pandemic coming up in May (masked and distanced of course). Already getting emails about folks wanting to try it!

Anyways, cheers all and hope you get a chance to enjoy a unique beer in the near future!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I found this on YouTube last night when I was trying to decompress from work. 

Robo-sumo! In which teams of talented Japanese engineers build a self controlling tiny robot warrior whose sole purpose is to punt another tiny robo-warrior out of a predetermined mini sumo ring. 

sumo2-809x445.jpg.84124afbdf7bd144341d2ba72893564a.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice, so here's the video. I lost it at 0.30 mins and was almost in tears by the end. It's awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

"Before there was Gundam, there was Sumo. Before there was Sumo, there was nothing." :lol:

19 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

There aren't that many options; Verizon is garbage, Sprint merged with T-Mobile, and might or might not be garbage - Sprint was alright, T-Mobile was borderline - and I've heard little good of AT&T. 

Where we are, coverage is garbage regardless, admittedly...

I think Cricket still exists, but I have no idea what they offer and whether it's any use.

Pick your poison is unpleasantly accurate, unfortunately. :/

I have Cricket, and I think they're part of AT&T? I pay $63 a month for unlimited data...

You know they're going to do this at some point:

1279096629215.thumb.jpg.d993798ff233f0be40f49c2d6db945bb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Ok, Skynet is starting to get a little creepy. I was searching some stuff this weekend related to a hobby project; I started seeing ads relating to what I searched over the weekend this morning at work. These are 2 totally and separate computers with no connection between them besides the guy behind the keyboard.

Are you certain you didn't log in your webmail or something similar during a break?

You really didn't log in onto the Reaper Forum while at work?

Stuff like that....

Or you used your cell phone containing bluetooth...etc?

I mean, nothing to worry about citizen..nobody is tracking you, it's all in your head.

In your heeeaaad in your head...

image.png.d8967dadd3001c65c627dfd346381798.png

• Haha 15
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:

My homebrew club had our March virtual meeting last night and the results of the only club competition we were able to hold this year (the club year being defined as September through May) were announced. This competition was held back in the mid October and was something called Iron Kettle. Usually it's kind of like the show Iron Chef where everyone shows up with their equipment and gets a bunch of the same ingredients as everyone else and then is expected to make a beer out of them on the spot with no more than about 15 minutes to write a recipe. Ingredients are usually a little weird just to add some fun to the contest. We've brewed with everything from whole coconuts, to donuts, to corn flakes. This year it was a little different in that we all knew what beer we were brewing in advance (a clone of Weathered Souls' Black is Beautiful Imperial Stout) and then got to bring our own secret ingredients to change it up a bit. 

Usually judging is done at either the summer picnic or our holiday party by other club members. This year we had intended to do the judging at a holiday get together in December at a brewery with a nice outdoor area with a couple of nice fire pits and heaters to keep guests warm and responsibly distanced from one another. Unfortunately, Covid cases began spiking after Thanksgiving so the group decided to cancel the in person get together out of an abundance of caution (wise choice in my opinion). Of course this means we had no way of judging the Iron Kettle and everyone just assumed it would be a wash this year. Then, at the end of February, the club president said they found a way to judge them and to drop off your entries at a local homebrew supply store. Turns out they found a head brewer of a place about an hour north of us who also lives with a cicerone (professional beer snob) and they were able to judge the beers without violating any social distancing rules. 

Well, to get to the point, my wife and I won! Our secret ingredients were about 6 ounces of chicory and a couple of pints of cold brewed coffee added in at the end of fermentation for 10 gallons of beer. The head brewer fellow said he hated it the first time he tried it, but the cicerone apparently loved it and kept voting for it to keep it from being eliminated. In the meeting he said that after he tried it a few times it kept growing on him and that he really liked the flavor of the chicory after it warmed up a bit. He also admitted to never having tasted chicory or even knowing what it is, so I can see why he wouldn't like it at first - it has a fairly bitter up front flavor. This has got me really happy for a number of reasons. First, this is our first time winning a brewing competition, I've placed a few times but never won. Second, there's this really annoying and arrogant guy in the club with a popular youtube brewing channel and he's always talking down to anyone who doesn't brew on a $10k minimum setup. He even took the time at the competition to come over to and criticize and laugh at our setup. Well his beer didn't even place. I'm sure he'll be complaining about it for the next couple of weeks on our club forum and that brings a little smirk to my face. And finally, I'm super happy about this because we brewed another 5 gallon batch of this recipe a couple of weekends ago and it should be ready to share with the club at our first expected in person meeting since the pandemic coming up in May (masked and distanced of course). Already getting emails about folks wanting to try it!

Anyways, cheers all and hope you get a chance to enjoy a unique beer in the near future!

First off, CONGRATS!  Second, that sounds delicious!!

Baby is down for a nap, hopefully longer than the first 2 of the day. I did manage, with Mrs. Hamster's help, to get a batch of lactation oatmeal raisin cookies done. The Hamsterling woke up just as I was about to start spooning the cookies onto the sheet and put them in the oven Timing...

Time to have some more COFFEE! It's such a cold grey day today, I might need more...

Oh, and for anyone looking for something to do for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow, Dropkick Murphys are doing a "Still Locked Down" concert starting at 7pm eastern.

DKM.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

My homebrew club had our March virtual meeting last night and the results of the only club competition we were able to hold this year (the club year being defined as September through May) were announced.

Well, to get to the point, my wife and I won!

Congratulations! And for sticking it to the elitist brewing snob. Never had chicory before, or knew that it could go into beer. Learn something new every day.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:
6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

My homebrew club had our March virtual meeting last night and the results of the only club competition we were able to hold this year (the club year being defined as September through May) were announced.

Well, to get to the point, my wife and I won!

Congratulations! And for sticking it to the elitist brewing snob. Never had chicory before, or knew that it could go into beer. Learn something new every day.

As I understand it, if it ferments, it can be made into alcohol. And if you can figure out how to get it into the brew...

If you can make beer out of milk... why not?

It doesn't sound very nice to me, but.. I'm... wary of beer recommendations these days. ^^;

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, unexpected reaction. I showed these two to my bus driver -

image.png.9000f58863cd4d1a1f01aa5c1a331a02.png

Dunn - Ogre

and

image.png.893922f5a224dfb48459f52d1277d1b0.png

Fraia - Dwarf

And her immediate reaction was that they are a couple.

The exact same reaction I had, when I decided to put them in my cops game. :lol:

I'm not the only one that looks at them as a pair of scoundrels!

*EDIT* It's the facial expressions.

The Auld Grump

She's seen us together, right? :lol:

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Baby is down for a nap, hopefully longer than the first 2 of the day. I did manage, with Mrs. Hamster's help, to get a batch of lactation oatmeal raisin cookies done. The Hamsterling woke up just as I was about to start spooning the cookies onto the sheet and put them in the oven Timing...

Time to have some more COFFEE! It's such a cold grey day today, I might need more...

Oh, and for anyone looking for something to do for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow, Dropkick Murphys are doing a "Still Locked Down" concert starting at 7pm eastern.

DKM.jpg

Know what we are doing tomorrow. ::):

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

congrats on the win!

Thanks all!

4 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

As I understand it, if it ferments, it can be made into alcohol. And if you can figure out how to get it into the brew...

If you can make beer out of milk... why not?

The chicory actually isn't a fermentable and doesn't add anything to the alcohol level of the beer. I'm using the dried root of the plant, which is pretty common across the US and related to dandelions. You just throw it in the beer kind of like a giant tea bag and let the flavor infuse it for a couple of days. As for fermenting milk... yes! The drink you're looking for is called Kumis and is made from fermented mare's milk (or supposedly donkey's milk according to a friend). I have not tried it but it is supposed to be very unpleasant! I'd probably give it a shot if someone else were buying. But I'm guessing it's not something I'd enjoy. But the iron kettle can get pretty weird, so if I'm ever presented with mare's milk to make alcohol from, I'm prepared!

• Like 9