Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All right. I'm just gonna say it.

Reaper could give Facebook a run for their money on who's the champ at getting ickier with each design iteration.

Lol srsly guys, just get an old proboards plug-in or something. It'll be fine.

• Like 2

For those who haven't heard, the Suez Canal is shut down due to an Evergreen Container Ship, the Ever Given, managing to run its prow into the bank and turn blocking the canal.  They are preliminarily blaming the accident on 30 mph cross winds.

Here's a full report from Lloyd's of London:

https://lloydslist.maritimeintelligence.informa.com/LL1136229/Suez-Canal-remains-blocked-despite-efforts-to-refloat-grounded-Ever-Given

If Reaper has any containers in transit from China to Europe they may be delayed by this plugging of one of the world's major shipping lanes.

GEM

Who doesn't really like the changes to the forums look and function.

But having Power Palette back is nice.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

For those who haven't heard, the Suez Canal is shut down due to an Evergreen Container Ship, the Ever Given, managing to run its prow into the bank and turn blocking the canal. 

From what someone said on the radio, to get an idea of the size of the ship, it's comparable to the Empire State building laid on its side.

That's a lot of minis worth. Like... two of everything.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

All right. I'm just gonna say it.

Reaper could give Facebook a run for their money on who's the champ at getting ickier with each design iteration.

Lol srsly guys, just get an old proboards plug-in or something. It'll be fine.

It was an invision update, not our choice.  It broke a lot of the themes, now it will take some time to sort it out and either find adequate replacements or construct new ones.  Not many forums have been around for 19 years and retained almost all of their content.  Preserving that content, which we believe is an important feature of this particular community, complicates our ability to quickly fix large mandatory updates replete with many different changes that alter or disable many of our established features.   It won't kill anyone to wait a few days while we re-establish functionality and then try to make things look prettier.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

I finally got a couple of pieces of pegboard to hang up in the hobby room. I figure if I'm stuck looking at the minis in blister packs I might paint them sooner than never. I currently have them in a box/bag...thing. I went upstairs this morning to evaluate the space that I'd decided on putting it. I only have half the space. Might have to shove the bookshelf into the corner to get it so I can put both panels up and still be able to reach things.

Other things I need to do this week.

• Hobby room curtains. It's starting to get warm up there and I don't want my bones to all droop on me. I've already got a few that have and not sure how to fix them currently as they are already painted.
  • Guest room curtains. The window that needs curtains faces out into some trees in the yard that are right between us and the main street. It's not wooded enough though to just go hangout in there without worrying if someone is watching me. This is probably 100% paranoia but I'd still like them up.
  • Break down the like million boxes we have sitting around and put them in the recycling bin. Tomorrow is recycling day so I want to shove as much stuff as possible into the bin.

And lastly, I want to keep mixing my paint. I may have mentioned I got some agitators and a vortex mixer. So I am slowly going through all of them. Pulling out duplicates in the process to put...somewhere else for the time being. I'm almost through the Pathfinder set, next will probably be the Bones paint.

ETA: Need to finish this blog I'm writing about said mixer and mixing process.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

It was an invision update, not our choice.  It broke a lot of the themes, now it will take some time to sort it out and either find adequate replacements or construct new ones.  Not many forums have been around for 19 years and retained almost all of their content.  Preserving that content, which we believe is an important feature of this particular community, complicates our ability to quickly fix large mandatory updates replete with many different changes that alter or disable many of our established features.   It won't kill anyone to wait a few days while we re-establish functionality and then try to make things look prettier.

I mean, I don't think anyone said they were dying? Forum layout simply has had a rather Facebookesque trajectory, and this amused me; I will abide it here as I have there, no doubt. By all means, carry on.

Also, RIP Jessica Walter. She was an absolute treasure, and her later career between original-run Arrested Development and Archer particularly was a gift.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Hope they find out what's wrong and get it fixed soon so he can start feeling better!

They've got him on higher end painkillers, and he's going to need to see a dentist.  They're thinking cracked molar. 

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

While I don't mind the pink, I do kinda wish that we could tweak the colors ourselves.... or at least get a dark mode. Ah well, good enough.

I'll second the desire for a dark mode, this is pretty much the only site I use regularly that doesn't have this feature. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I'm supposed to be doing last minute homework.

Instead I am starting a new print run because I clicked the wrong file to print.

I will use the accidental print to scandalize my husband. ::P:

What I meant to print is some orcs for my upcoming Eberron campaign.

What I actually printed was a naked chick on a radiation symbol.

Come on, your husband isn't that easily scanda... *sees figure*

*Head slowly tilts sideways*

:lol:

Don't be surprised if you ever play my Fallout: Florida campaign, and there is a cheesy strip club called Duke's..

Just me, or is the forum very... pink?

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 12

Yah, shades of red aren't my go to colors, but I can handle the forum the way it is.

Good game at the FLGS last night. We only had 4 people (down from 7 the week before). Hopefully not a trend. We played at 4th level & with current AL rules, you can take a new level or ignore it, next week's adventure is at 4th so no one is taking the new level. I may bring in a different character, but I like my artificer so I'll probably just keep him in the game.

More on the cargo ship blocking the Suez Canal:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/moving-stranded-cargo-ship-suez-canal-weeks-salvage/story?id=76677898&cid=clicksource_4380645_3_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

A lot of it is people just being resistant to change [raises own hand], especially when it is in the form of a surprise.

Another large component is the "Herding Cats" phenomenon, with the mods as the cat herders and the rest of us as the contentious felines.

All the mods do a heroic level job for which they receive too little thanks [thank you, thank you, thank you] and Kit and Company are actual heroes [hip hip hooray!] for what they do.

At least, that's my humble opinion.

GEM

Addendum:  There's a factor involved that those in IT aren't consciously aware of for the most part.

Part of the psychological makeup of the successful IT person is the drive to "improve" existing systems, whether they need improvement or not.  Very few in this area of tech adhere to the axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", and as a consequence will "fix it" to the point where it does actually break.

We've seen an example of this here, where, if I am understanding the tech explanations given, people outside of Reaper in their constant effort to "fix" what isn't broken, broke a lot of the Reaper Forums, and severely bent much of the rest.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Come on, your husband isn't that easily scanda... *sees figure*

*Head slowly tilts sideways*

:lol:

Don't be surprised if you ever play my Fallout: Florida campaign, and there is a cheesy strip club called Duke's..

Just me, or is the forum very... pink?

The Auld Grump

Yes it is. It burns the retina a bit, but hopefully they'll get it switched out SoonTM.

• Like 3