Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

6 minutes ago, Inarah said:

The people calling aren't able to give me that info.  They are predominately non-native english speakers doing scripted call center work from home (very likely for scandalously low pay) and have no contact with anyone who actually runs things. 

I did look up and call customer service to complain after the 4th call in 24 hours.  I very firmly told them DH is WFH and the repeated sales calls are interrupting his tele-work conferences and it needs to stop now.  That seemed to get through to the guy.   If that fails I know a couple of lawyers. 

Not an option on my landline AFAIK.  (The handset is so old it has a Bell Telephone symbol on it)

Hopefully tomorrow is quiet. 

If they are unwilling or unable to give you the requested information then you have an ever stronger case against the newspaper for harassment.  Make sure you document the date and time of every call, what it interrupted, the name of the person calling, and their refusal to give you information that is required by law to be provided upon request.

The newspaper employing people who aren't trained and are ignorant of the law isn't a defense for or of their actions, quite the opposite.  The fact that it is interfering with and interrupting another family member who is in a WFH status only piles on when it comes time to assess damages.  Now that they have been informed of the interference, any further calls that interrupt work flow are no longer an annoyance but an actual and actionable act of calculated harassment.

Best of Luck

GEM

1 minute ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Nice video on the ship stuck in the Suez Canal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws3BtZ7mma8

That thing is so huge that every possible solution turns into another problem.  As in: Where would you get a crane with enough reach  enough to unload the containers to lighten the ship?

Another problem that hasn't been mentioned much is that the US 5th Fleet is being denied access to the Mediterranean Sea.  The same may be stated for the navies of every maritime nation with a fleet in the area.

The longer this goes on the more it is turning into a world class catastrophe.

IKEA has already announced that they will be experiencing shortages of certain items for an indeterminate time.  We're also looking at [another] toilet paper shortage [you might want to lay in a little extra supply before the general panic sets in].

IMNSHO they are going to have to start dragging containers off of the ship in a desperation move to lighten it enough to refloat it and then deal with the containers as salvage after the shipping lane is cleared.  It's going to be the fastest method of unplugging the shipping lane.  Evergreen isn't going to like the resultant bills, but they will be smaller than the sueball they have crated by blocking the shipping lane.  Every delayed ship is accruing delay charges at the rate of $3000[US]+ per hour they have to wait and there are approaching 100 vessels stacked up waiting to get through the canal.

GEM

• Like 9

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Another problem that hasn't been mentioned much is that the US 5th Fleet is being denied access to the Mediterranean Sea.  The same may be stated for the navies of every maritime nation with a fleet in the area.

IKEA has already announced that they will be experiencing shortages of certain items for an indeterminate time.  We're also looking at [another] toilet paper shortage [you might want to lay in a little extra supply before the general panic sets in].

IMNSHO they are going to have to start dragging containers off of the ship in a desperation move to lighten it enough to refloat it and then deal with the containers as salvage after the shipping lane is cleared.  It's going to be the fastest method of unplugging the shipping lane.  Evergreen isn't going to like the resultant bills, but they will be smaller than the sueball they have crated by blocking the shipping lane.  Every delayed ship is accruing delay charges at the rate of $3000[US]+ per hour they have to wait and there are approaching 100 vessels stacked up waiting to get through the canal.

GEM

ABC news tonight said it like costing 9 billion a day having those ships just sitting there. Craaazy!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

57 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Nice video on the ship stuck in the Suez Canal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws3BtZ7mma8

That thing is so huge that every possible solution turns into another problem.  As in: Where would you get a crane with enough reach  to unload the containers to lighten the ship?

Maybe a trebuchet can be helicopter’d in? 

• Like 5

Update, 8+ hours in: Kinda feel like I smoked a fat blunt tonight, but in neither a positive nor negative way. Foggy. Mild arm soreness. Minor gastrointestinal issues, possibly unrelated. No apparent sexual dysfunction though extensive testing has yet to occur. I'd say it's looking positive so far.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Well anther hour over this morning at work. It'll be allot more OT over the next few weeks as our 3rd freight guy is gonna be taking time off. Funny how his heart problems are pretty much only coming up for him. What I don't get is he taking family leave, ok np. Ummm to qualify you need to average 24 hrs a week & be here for so long. I'm pretty sure he's got the time in, but the avg doesn't work out. He gets 24 hrs a week but most of the time he's at least off a day or 2 each week since week before Christmas last year (when he had to take covid leave due to roommates). Whatever, all I know is the guy is dead to me & my co-worker. He's no longer reliable & tbh, I don't like working with people that aren't.

I told my boss (who hired him) that with summer coming & co-worker needing vacation time (4 weeks before July 11th) & me still needing 2 weeks before August 2nd (I'm not taking 2 weeks after the 11th of July), might be time to start looking for someone & just put him in a different department, one less physical. I already told the big boss of the store that he really should try & find a work at home job. BBoss got a chuckle out of that one, my boss was just confused (totally went over his head, as are most things, as he is a company "tool" kinda person). He responded with something, oh we can't do that, bla bla. So basically we are going to just put up with this until he decided to quit....lovely!!!

I have to admit, it must be a side-effect of being on this forum for so long that I had to turn off Dark mode. It just didn't look right to me. I've already have a "eye saver" mode on my monitor & it tones down the brightness already. I may re-explore the Dark side in the future.

On happier news, saw in the Oregonian that frontline workers will be eligible for vaccine shots on April 5th!! (about frickin time, govnah!!!). Still don't understand why we were so far down the list, too many non-essential groups before us, but again beekeeper territory). I'm thinking of seeing if I can get my shot set up now & when the 5th comes around I'll be ahead of the timeline.

In my county, you were ahead of me. Grocery store clerks were way higher up than "other essential workers" here.

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If they are unwilling or unable to give you the requested information then you have an ever stronger case against the newspaper for harassment.  Make sure you document the date and time of every call, what it interrupted, the name of the person calling, and their refusal to give you information that is required by law to be provided upon request.

The newspaper employing people who aren't trained and are ignorant of the law isn't a defense for or of their actions, quite the opposite.  The fact that it is interfering with and interrupting another family member who is in a WFH status only piles on when it comes time to assess damages.  Now that they have been informed of the interference, any further calls that interrupt work flow are no longer an annoyance but an actual and actionable act of calculated harassment.

Best of Luck

GEM

GEM

It wasn't Evergreen, it was the Suez pilots. From what I've been hearing, the Seuz pilots are not the best, having a reputation for being lazy and inattentive. That's what I'm hearing, I have no idea if it's warranted or not.

Also, the thing I find to be amazing is how no one died, or was seriously hurt, nor was the ship damaged significantly. Sure, it's going to cost money and disrupt the world more than it already has been but it's a near miracle it wasn't worse. If it had sunk, this would be worse. Much, much worse.

Time for an ancient meme:

58917153_BarrelRoll.jpg.5b9830cb9f042ad27f901e66acc3848e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

In my county, you were ahead of me. Grocery store clerks were way higher up than "other essential workers" here.

It wasn't Evergreen, it was the Suez pilots. From what I've been hearing, the Seuz pilots are not the best, having a reputation for being lazy and inattentive. That's what I'm hearing, I have no idea if it's warranted or not.

Also, the thing I find to be amazing is how no one died, or was seriously hurt, nor was the ship damaged significantly. Sure, it's going to cost money and disrupt the world more than it already has been but it's a near miracle it wasn't worse. If it had sunk, this would be worse. Much, much worse.

Time for an ancient meme:

58917153_BarrelRoll.jpg.5b9830cb9f042ad27f901e66acc3848e.jpg

This has yet to be determined.  According to the reports I've read it is resting with the prow buried in one bank and the stern in the other.  They don't know how much of the bottom it may have plowed over sideways or what the level of support is under the middle of the keel.  If there isn't enough support under the middle of the keel it may have suffered damage, anything from minor and easily repaired up to major structural damage to the keel itself.

In any case, it's going to require significant lightening of the ship before it can be refloated.  Even if they pump off most of the fuel and liquid ballast it won't be enough to lighten ship sufficiently.  Which means they have to remove cargo.  As quickly as possible.

GEM

• Like 9

I think I overdid it on the stuff I got for Sephy’s first real Easter. I started out with a modest sized basket. And then there were all these pretty eggs (they didn’t make these fancy eggs when I was a kid...), and I had to get toys and candy to fill the eggs, and oh she would love that silly ball, and why not that cute doll, oh and an Easter basket has to have a bunny...

I’m gonna need a bigger basket :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 4
  • Haha 12

12 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I honestly don't think it's a drive that's internal to IT people.  I think it's driven by users who want "just one more feature."

Problem is that when you have dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions of users who all want "just one more feature", eventually one of those features is going to break someone else's features. 

Yes.  I know that I am getting older and less flexible each year, but the net effect of feature creep in most IT applications is that it gets harder for me to do less with each iteration. :huh: My 1939 Corona typewriter doesn’t do as much as a computer, but at least it doesn’t take a haf an hour to log on in the morning or constantly become unavailable while the updates load.  

But, I am glad to see that the forums are back to some semblance of functionality this morning...I missed everybody this week.

I took the day off for my birthday yesterday.  Unfortunately, my plan to go for an extended bike ride was cut short by a blown tube, so I’ll head down to the bike shop this morning.  I’m sure they can replace it faster than I can, and, if the tube had lost elasticity and split as I expect (there being no major piercing to be found), the replacement tube I have is equally as old and therefore also suspect.  Better safe, etc. My wife was a good sport about driving out to collect me.

I ended up investing some time in actually counting my painted 25mm fantasy miniatures.  I had a feeling that my counts were pretty far off in my project description file, and it looks like the total is about 1600.  That’s the old school true/small 25s; I didn’t count the Reaper sized figures (yet).

• Like 14

Today's history trivia that occurred on March 27th:

• 1309 – Pope Clement V imposed excommunication and interdiction on Venice, and a general prohibition of all commercial interaction with Venice, which had seized Ferrara, a papal fiefdom.

• 1871 – The first international rugby football match took place, with Scotland defeating England in Edinburgh at Raeburn Place.

• 2004 – The HMS Scylla, a decommissioned Leander-class frigate, was sunk as an artificial reef off Cornwall, the first of its kind in Europe.

And don't forget to submit your RCL entries today!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I want to put together my minis but I can't remember where I left the clippers. This isn't good. I suppose I should get around to finishing cleaning up and organizing. I don't even want to deal with the mess from dropping that bowl of pasta from the other day. I mean, the stuff that got on the walls and stuff. I thought I got all of it but I clearly didn't. It looks like I killed someone... :ph34r:

Speaking of killing, here's today's rule:

010.jpg.655f35cd38d918ae4b9c1b53ffee1abb.jpg

• Like 8

It is a beautiful day here, so indoor hobbying feels like it would be spurning a gift. My bread goes into an extended rise phase in about half an hour, after which I’ll go do the bike errand. 

@CaptainPete, if it makes you feel any better, I spent over half an hour this morning trying to find the last unit of miniatures I had been working on (several months ago) and was considering completing.  After rearranging half the basement, I found them in a box next to the painting desk that I had overlooked underneath a bag of bottles of paint. :rolleyes:

• Like 10
  • Haha 1