Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Cool. The Red Cross is going to be testing me for plague antibodies and I'll get the results in 7-10 days.

Makes sense. If I have the antibodies my blood will be shipped directly to some plague victim instead of to the children's hospital where it usually goes.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, Kangaroorex said:

I grow them in Sphagnum moss or medium bark medium.  the best improvement I have found over the years is to grow phalenopsis with a plastic pot with holes in the bottom in a  second glazed pot that is water tight.  the plants need high humidity but don't like having their feet wet.  this leaves a puddle of water in the bottom of the glazed pot to keep the roots moist without letting the roots rot by sitting in standing water.  Don't know if it will help you but it worked well for me 

Sweet, I stumbled upon that method for the orchid I got in May!  

• Like 8

Today was going to be a productive day, full of painting, tidying of the living room, doing some work on terrain items (I want to finish assembling my backlog before my magnets eventually show up), but uhm.... All I've done so far is watch eighteen episodes of Food Wars *laughs nervously*

On the flipside, it's been nice to just relax and watch something, so definitely not complaining ^_^

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Map making, and restocking, painting, chatting with friends from Baltimore, and 2 good beers... I'd call that a pretty good Saturday. Plus all the good food. Picked up an eclair from the bakery that was the perfect desert.

• Like 9

Work has finally started to lighten up and I managed to work normal hours on Friday and none today...  Work-related stress is dropping along with the hours and I was feeling much better...  until a good friend visited today after a recent stint in hospital where he was informed that he has very slim chances of making it to 50 (he's 43) and that's IF he gets the liver transplant he needs that he's likely not going to due to his age and other health issues.  :down:  Managed to stay positive and supportive for him, but have been gloomy since...  This getting old business is no fun. 

• Sad 23

17 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

I've gone down the rabbit hole of binging Time Team on Amazon Prime. This may have been a mistake.

OOh, good choice.  So much buried history. We're on season 12, I think. 

• Like 6

On 6/19/2020 at 7:36 AM, Cygnwulf said:

Technically, Mesquite Metro has enough runway for an MD11 , which UPS does use, though it's the only one of their fleet that could. (737 is next, needing at minimum 500 more feet than they have, the rest of the fleet appears to prefer a lot more,) however they probably lack any sufficient loading facilities.  In this area, what doesn't go through one of the major commercial airports, (most of UPS's traffic actually flies in and out of DFW airport.)

I did look at Mesquite Metro, then I compared its runway to the wingspan of a 767.   153 foot wingspan versus 100 foot wide runway… :blink:  That same round of searching pulled up a video of a 767 making a short field take-off somewhere in Africa… 4000 foot -ish dirt strip, full power, no cargo/passengers/payload, and light on fuel. The pilot did get it outta there with a few hundred feet to spare.  Might be the operational record for short take-off distance for that aircraft.

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Anyone got tips for getting rid of voles? 

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

My cousin who is a landscaper says that the best thing he's found is to pour vinegar down their holes.  Evidently it will drive them away.  I've tried most everything else to get rid of the moles in my yard, I'm going to the vinegar next.

Guys…

Voles or Moles?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I unexpectedly caught a vole in a sticky trap I put down for bugs when I first moved into my current place. I don't recommend it. For known fuzzy visitors, I have successfully used live catch traps that then get released away from people. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I have found  fritillaria imperialis to be very effective at driving away moles.  I have wild foxes and kitty cats who make sure voles are not a problem

• Like 8