Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

Eeeeee! Grump and I are DISGUSTING! :lol:

I went and had lunch at Grump's job, and we started doing what we do, when one of his coworkers came over and said we are so lovey dovey it makes him sick!  ::D:

So Grump did a countdown on his fingers and we burst into a duet!

His coworker went stomping of to be grouchy somewhere else. ::P:

• Haha 18

Had a very interesting thought. What if the modern midlife crisis was the remnant of an ancient survivor trait in humans?

Think about it. Around age 40, the kids would have been grown, and if early man quite often got dissatisfied with his current surroundings and situation, then maybe that move two hilltops over might just be what happens. A productive yet genetically unnecessary parental set moves off, leaving the younger generation well established as a new homestead further afield is established with the excess genetic spawn in tow.

Anyway. I should try to finish something for work. Just had to get that out of my mind and i to writing somewhere.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Jack is a smart monkey... :rolleyes:

He recently purchased a miniatures lot on EvilBuy thinking that, among other things, he was going to be getting the wemics from the Ral Partha 11-494 official AD&D monsters blister.

He didn't quite look closely enough.

When they arrived, he discovered they were the 15mm wemics from the Battlesystem 11-993 Mindgulph Wemics blister... :rolleyes:

(To be precise, three of the four generic wemics with spears, and the leader figure with the standard, as well as two copies of the leader figure from the 11-992 Mindgulph Giff blister...)

Which... is still pretty damn cool.

(The 15mm AD&D Battlesystem stuff is hard to find.)

• Like 14

So my wife told me when she got home, that when she gets her second shot of Moderna, at the end of this month, work is giving the next day off as a precaution to possbile side-effects. Which is nice (for a change). When I get mine later this month, the next day is a Friday, hmmmmm that is a load night & with us being down a guy already. We shall see.

I'm probably gonna take my bday off next month anyways, so I may just start my time around my second shot anyways.

• Like 12
5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Gotta make myself do something today! I think I'll try making some milk buns to have with dinner. I've been sitting on the couch, claiming to be trapped by my cat.

Hey, that's a perfectly valid excuse.  When a cat sits on you they warp gravity so that it's impossible to get up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Had a very interesting thought. What if the modern midlife crisis was the remnant of an ancient survivor trait in humans?

Think about it. Around age 40, the kids would have been grown, and if early man quite often got dissatisfied with his current surroundings and situation, then maybe that move two hilltops over might just be what happens. A productive yet genetically unnecessary parental set moves off, leaving the younger generation well established as a new homestead further afield is established with the excess genetic spawn in tow.

Anyway. I should try to finish something for work. Just had to get that out of my mind and i to writing somewhere.

Oh, You know, that might be similar as to why I do that in video games too. Fresh maps always get me reinterested again.

I got off the couch to make and eat dinner, but somehow wound back up on the couch with the cat. This needs to stop. :lol:

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
11 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Hey, that's a perfectly valid excuse.  When a cat sits on you they warp gravity so that it's impossible to get up!

Especially if it's a Garfield Class Maine Coon, or similar.

3 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Found this rock left outside of the library I work at and immediately thought of a certain wolf.

@Glitterwolf

IMG_20210327_165642772~2.jpg

I would advise against moving or picking up this particular embellished rock.

It is most likely the marker for a pressure sensitive trigger for a Glitter Bomb.

GEM

:unsure: Report is out on today's measurement of the Sierra Nevada Snow Pack.  As suspected, it's a low water content report for the second year in a row.::(:

Which means Cali. is heading into another drought cycle.:down:

GEM

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Eeeeee! Grump and I are DISGUSTING! :lol:

I went and had lunch at Grump's job, and we started doing what we do, when one of his coworkers came over and said we are so lovey dovey it makes him sick!  ::D:

So Grump did a countdown on his fingers and we burst into a duet!

His coworker went stomping of to be grouchy somewhere else. ::P:

What can I say?

We're two lost souls,

On the highway of life....

That brightened my whole day. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I got off the couch to make and eat dinner, but somehow wound back up on the couch with the cat. This needs to stop. :lol:

If you end up doing the exact same thing tomorrow, you might be living a Groundhog Day scenario...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

April 2nd, let's take a glimpse at the history pages:

• 1800 – Ludwig van Beethoven led the premiere of his Symphony No. 1 in Vienna.

• 1912 – The ill-fated RMS Titanic began sea trials (the testing phase, usually on open water).

• 1972 – Actor Charlie Chaplin returned to the United States for the first time since being labeled a communist during the Red Scare in the early 1950s.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

So yesterday was the first day of field season for me at work. We skipped field season last year due to the pandemic, which was kind of tough - I love being outdoors for work - but was absolutely the right call. It ended up being the one day of the week to drop down to freezing temperatures, everything was deep mud from rain earlier in the week, there were some snow flurries, and at one point I sank in deep enough to get water in my muck boots. So basically an awesome day!

We were out to investigate a complaint, which I won't go into details on because this is likely to eventually turn into a giant legal mess, so not everything was perfect. But there were still a few nice sights to share. Like this little vernal pool we found. If you look really hard there's a pair of mallards way in the back there.

IMG_20210401_110502156.thumb.jpg.488a88d64b2cef5c4bfbd2a7026a04b5.jpg

Also found a nice little button bush and hibiscus marsh that I'll have to come back to later in the season to see what other things are growing in there. Not very impressive looking right now, but this is isolated from a lot of surrounding human landscape and doesn't appear to have been impacted in a long time, so it should yield some interesting flora and fauna. 

IMG_20210401_103238029.thumb.jpg.7fecd78888565aa92087aa02afc800f2.jpg

And one of the things I love about early spring is seeing all the new plants growing up among the dead stuff from the year before. Feels like the world is being rejuvenated, puts me in a happy and hopeful mood. Normally that means dead plants, but occasionally you find some sign of life among other kinds of decay.

1339573472_IMG_20210401_1029048602.thumb.jpg.ade3f297391752431c93baf1604bf6d2.jpg

Anyways, hope you all get the kind of weather that gets you out of the house soon.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5