Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

We tried having a container garden in front of my house one year. The canola-pillars came and ate all the cabbage and fancy lettuce. The cat thought they were great litter boxes and the dog dug them up. That was the end of that experiment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Whatdya mean the weekends over?

Oh, I feels it. I feels it. 

During the first two hours of horrid consciousness, I have misread and erroneously replied to an email, prepared myself to attend a meeting that’s actually next Monday, and put old contacts into the wrong eyes because I was still half asleep. I then had to work out why I still couldn’t see, and how to put things right.

I am not having the best of times, and need a vacation. Only a short one, say two or three decades. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
21 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Yeah, the Chessex containers definitely work better with the older figures... A lot of the figures waving swords around or with raised staves don't really fit well in either the horizontal or vertical positions. And larger monsters don't fit well at all - especially if they have wings.

I've been ripping out the things between the slots, turning two into one long one for minis with spears, staves, etc. The 40 does have those two larger spots, which fits him and her pretty well.

20 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I only have one case by Chessex (the small one that you can cut the foam to fit for a small RPG party) and I always found that the lid never closed properly if you use anything larger than 25mm/1 inch bases. Which was a problem because I started using 30mm bases. Are the larger cases deeper, or are they all the same depth?

Yeah, the 14 one has trouble closing all the way with the 30mm bases I have on the minis inside.

The 56 does not like bases at all, the foam is pretty thin. I have 25mm bases on the stuff in there and the bases stick out a lot. The 40 case is the best of 30mm bases, based on my experience so far.

I'm currently debating about buying another 56 to use for my Bones hero minis. Since the bases are smaller than most gaming bases, they should fit okay. However, I am concerned about them getting bent. We'll see how much I have to throw around on cases. And storage. These cases aren't small, which is a problem in my tiny apartment... :ph34r:

Have a picture:

4427.jpg.112fd06921bb30cd294236446b9ce67f.jpg

Edited by CaptainPete
I word good
  • Like 4

At some point, this:

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Whoever came up wih the phrase "dirt cheap" never had to buy 20 cubic yards of garden soil. 

The dirt currently sitting in our driveway cost roughly what we spent on the last 4 Bones KS combined. ...Okay, maybe the last 3.

...is going to work to your advantage. See below.

Them: How many of these figures do you have?! Did they cost a fortune??

You: Not a lot, we’ve spent more money on dirt for the garden...

:B):

• Haha 15

Hello All

I hope everyone is doing as well as they can be and got/getting  your morning/rest of the day coffee.

Things are not bad here.. just well I do not want to do anything. I do not want to go to work today, I do not want to work on minis, I d not want to work on my PbP, I do not want to fold clothes, I do not want to read. I do not want to play games..... so anything....... I have been fighting this for a while now.  The only real fun I have had in a while was Saturday when I went to my oldest daughters to take her some furniture. Her husband has a new xbox. and they have cyberpunk 2077. I have been toying with the idea of getting either a ps5 or the new xbox. cause sometimes i just want to lose myself in a world. I like the games where there is a story, but I can do and do what I want when I want to. basically causing chaos, death and destruction all over the map. I have been playing gta v for a while, but I have explored all of the map and pretty much only thing left to do to is to keep going on the story, which I can see a possible path and it is not pretty....  anyways.... I am now just rambling away. 

• Like 8

<sigh>

TL/DR: Do NOT leave your credit/debit card in the card reader! Take it out when the system tells you to. 

Explanation and rant hidden to spare those whom aren't interested in hearing another car wash story.  This does slightly relate to the previous conversation here about feature creep breaking things. 

Spoiler

So the reason I haven't been around much lately is due to a new product roll out for US sites - specifically, coin doors and tellers that can use the tap and chips on credit cards.  You know, the same stuff that the big box stores/restaurants had to implement a couple of years ago.  It's been harder for the car wash market because a) most car washes are small businesses, b) the upgrades are expensive, and c) chip card readers that can withstand the harsh car wash environment AND work with US merchant processing platforms are hard to find. 

Whitefish MT was chosen as the first US site because it's only 6 hours from Calgary, and the original idea was that the techs from there could drive down to the site as needed.  When the border got shut as a result of the pandemic, the site owner was asked if he would either delay or accept the tried and true mag stripe technology (at no expense to him) until the border opened back up.  We knew he wouldn't accept the delay, but were surprised at how vehement he became to getting the "lesser" technology.  Lots of screaming about "not getting what I paid for!"

As a result, I've now spent several weeks in MT and I'm getting sick of hotels, planes and airports

After fighting a bunch of hardware issues to even get the thing to work correctly, last week was about upgrading the system and tweaking it to deal with users doing stupid things we didn't anticipate.   On Thursday, it looked like we had accomplished that - everything we had seen a customer do "wrong" we had addressed - cards in backwards, tapping too fast, pulling their card out too soon, putting their card in too early, leaving their card in the reader, etc.

I left there Friday morning feeling pretty good. 

And then came a bigger idiot on Easter Sunday.

Someone left their credit card in the card reader in one of the self serve bays, despite the messages the system gave them to remove it.  Sunday was the first day the site had run unattended, so no one was around to catch this, and being Easter with not so great weather, no other customers found the card.   So the card sat there for hours.  The bay would detect the card in the reader, authorize it, and eventually start the bay, because of a feature implemented to deal with people who didn't want to remove the card until the bay started.  Then, because of another feature implemented because people weren't putting the system at stop to stop the charging, the auto stop feature would kick in at about a minute.  Then after it reset itself, it would notice there was a card in the reader.  Lather Rinse Repeat.

It did this for over 90 minutes until it finally crashed the system because this was processing transactions faster than even the busiest day would be.  There were around 50 $2 charges on this single card, each with a $20 pre-auth, plus a crap load of declines. Why the card holder's bank didn't throw up a red flag sooner than that, I have no idea. 

Been in a meeting all morning brainstorming ideas on how to fix that without breaking something else AND in a way that doesn't involve me going back to MT any time soon.  On the upside, the engineer said that it was a good stress test of the system that revealed some valuable data to him on how to make it more robust for busy sites. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9
3 hours ago, Inarah said:

He wasn't far off target.   Small air disturbances in the Sahara cross the Atlantic and turn into hurricanes in the Americas.

Yeah, gardening is not a cheap or low effort hobby.  What you "save" on having "free" produce you will spend many times over on tools and supplies, not to mention sweat and blood.  There is really something special about walking out the back door and pulling food out of the ground that you made though. 

And in today's news, sick kitty is sick again and has a 3:30 appt to see the vet. 

no one ever shows the other side of the perturbation:  that small events can be wiped out by major changes:  maybe the storm in Florida causes the breeze that causes the butterfly to flap its wings is Brazil, its not always about the big stuff, you know! ::D:

Rivers are my favorite.  you can have tornados on one side and sunny skys on the other and then a cold current stirs and the whole thing flips!

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Ever have one of those days where it feels like you got up in the wrong universe?

GEM

Way too often!  There are days when the dream is so real I find reality to be more dreamlike

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

<sigh>

TL/DR: Do NOT leave your credit/debit card in the card reader! Take it out when the system tells you to. 

Explanation and rant hidden to spare those whom aren't interested in hearing another car wash story.  This does slightly relate to the previous conversation here about feature creep breaking things. 

There is a reason that the POS acronym has two meanings!  

I dont think there is a person out there who has written programs for others to use that hasn't asked "why would you do that???"

• Like 9

From Discord reaper-socials:

Reaper Miniatures - On the road to ReaperCon (@reapermini)

Join host Mini Painting Studio for Miniature Monday later today! Paint along on Almaran the Gold, with some fire and OSL to brighten up your Monday.

3:00 Pm CT: https://t.co/E4Gyylvc15

EyOPdBQXAAYevLf.jpg

EyOPeMdWQAQFQSP.jpg

Twitter•Today at 11:08 AM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I just assumed you were getting ready for a visit from @Crowley

:lol:

the Chessex cases are just Flambeau V series boxes with custom foam and color.   I buy the cases direct from Flambeau and my own foam and cut my foam to fit my figures.  My cutting of the foam looks a little rough, but it works, and I can get the case/foam for about 2/5ths the cost of the Chessex case. 

The V501 case is a medium sized case that is right between the V401 (the Chessex small) and the V701 (the Chessex Large) which I find great for the standard force size of many games. 

What would I Google for the foam?

Thanks.

EDIT: Or do you just order foam from them and specify uncut?

Thanks Again.

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 3
34 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I dont think there is a person out there who has written programs for others to use that hasn't asked "why would you do that???"

The most frustrating part for me is dealing with car wash owners who don't understand that. 

I mean, if they're halfway competent, then surely they've seen people do stupid crap they never would have expected - and yet somehow we're supposed to have anticipated everything possible in a first gen product? 

6 minutes ago, Brother Jim said:

What would I Google for the foam?

Thanks.

I typically buy from foam by mail dot com or foam factory (I think they're the same company now). 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Ever have one of those days where it feels like you got up in the wrong universe?

GEM

My Monday started with a migraine and is going from there.....

17 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

It's the eyball icon.

WhicH does not show up on the mobile/tablet version of the site.

It's not an option on my desktop version either.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Well, there's another Monday done, the countdown until I win the lottery continues.

I should probably buy a lottery ticket one of these days....

• Like 7