Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

Huh, never played Red Dead Redemption, but the soundtrack is pretty danged good.

On a possibly connected note - the them for Vae Victis' April release is Western Fantasy - including a wizard with spurs... and I have an old D20 game titled Spellslinger....

image.png.a96d22fd854e2a19c19a125efc634031.png

Probably not a campaign's worth, but maybe a multi-session one shot.

The Auld Grump

https://youtu.be/5P3ElYrPhsU

The Auld Grump

• Like 13

It's SNOWING in the Netherlands!

How dare they!

For those who where confused about my "100" pic, we were on page 900...so 100 more to go to the end.

• Like 4
  • Haha 12
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

It's SNOWING in the Netherlands!

How dare they!

For those who where confused about my "100" pic, we were on page 900...so 100 more to go to the end.

Late Easter greetings? ::P:

Meanwhile it's 10C overnight here... 

• Like 7

What Happened Wednesday, April 7th edition:

• 1348 – Charles University, the largest and oldest university in the Czech Republic, was founded in Prague. It is one of the oldest universities in continuous operation in Europe (ninth oldest).

• 1827 – John Walker, an English chemist, sold the first friction match that he had invented the previous year.

• 2001 – The Mars Odyssey robotic spacecraft was launched.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
22 hours ago, Inarah said:

hope the new mattress makes you feel better soon. 

Yeah it is feeling better, it usually hurts after work and then gets to feeling better after a few days. the mattress feels wonderful, and I think it is helping. I do not hurt today after working and throwing freight for two days., course yesterdays frieght was small things, so that might be part of it. 

16 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

The Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion, Skyrim) are good for that, if you like fantasy... You can spend months just wandering around the map doing side quests and killing things without having to advance the story much. Rampaging through the streets has consequences, but there are ways to get around that. And you can do fun stuff like knock over furniture, throw plates at people, and strip the corpses and drag them into silly poses. I once managed to drag a dead guy upright into a handstand.

I also once spent a few weeks reverse-pickpocketing green hoods onto literally every person in the Imperial City, lol.

The Plague of Hats...

Reveal hidden contents

In-progress shot..

1501275869_PlagueOfHats.JPG.f5970f9c53d7b8e85a59b5593359ed7c.JPG

Yeah I love Skyrim. I love running around and smithing and kill bandits, then sell all of their stuff.

• Like 8

Reading a webcomic called Orc and Gnome's Mild Adventures.

She's an orc adventurer. He's a gnome alchemist.

The orc is a LOT friendlier than the gnome. She also kind of loves him.

• Like 8

Completely unconnected, I need an excuse for a sexy potion selling witch in the Eberron game. ::D:

One that started as a tavern wench, who knows how to get tips. ::P:

It's POSSIBLE I just printed a mini for that.

She's even got the pointy hat and the low cut bodice.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Huh, never played Red Dead Redemption, but the soundtrack is pretty danged good.

On a possibly connected note - the them for Vae Victis' April release is Western Fantasy - including a wizard with spurs... and I have an old D20 game titled Spellslinger....

image.png.a96d22fd854e2a19c19a125efc634031.png

Probably not a campaign's worth, but maybe a multi-session one shot.

The Auld Grump

https://youtu.be/5P3ElYrPhsU

The Auld Grump

I picked that up a few years ago. Interesting ideas but it's only... Okay. I agree that it could really work for a short game rather than a campaign. Unless you want to do a bunch of work. Or combine it with some other stuff. Which I've been debating for since I got it. :ph34r:

1389562321767.jpg.63fe436efa6ffcdcbd1e397ba6e3a836.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
On 4/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, redambrosia said:

Pft! The idiot who left their card in there deserves to pay all those charges. What a moron!

Some days I agree, some days I have actual pity. 

In this case, it's happened at least a half a dozen times, though none for that long - they're usually caught by the next customer or an attendant. 

We've been brainstorming various ways to stop it. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:22 PM, OneBoot said:

I have, as I might have mentioned before, somehow become The One Who Writes The Desk References With Pretty Pictures, because that is apparently an uncommon skill at my work?

It's an uncommon skill period. 

And to make matters worse, a third of those with the skill just don't take or have the time to do it, and another third find themselves arguing with the developers about stabilizing the software and/or procedure enough so that they CAN write a usable reference.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:14 AM, TGP said:

They will change and update the software periodically. 

Periodically? I wish it was that rare for me.  Our chief software engineer has been known to change how a feature works in each new release for as many as 7 software releases in a six month time span.  I "threw" the 8th or 9th revision of my manual back in his face and told him "screw it, I'm just doing 1-2 page data sheets and video tutorials from now on." 

On 4/6/2021 at 3:08 AM, TGP said:

Did the car wash bay cake itself in ice?  (How not so great was the weather?)

If this happened again, but at below freezing temps, do these units have fail-safes to prevent them from turning into ice sculptures?

Did the poor card holder get any of the charges reversed/refunded?  

(Curious to know who winds up eating the costs.)

By not so great weather, I mean cool and drizzly, which is not great weather for car wash operators, because few people will wash their car when the road spray will just dirty it up again in a half mile. 

Full on snow and ice storms mean car washes are slow, too, but if they're generally welcomed by car wash operators if there is a few days of sun between each storm.   The "perfect" car wash weather is a cycle of alternating storms and sunny days - storms to get the cars dirty, and sunny weather to inspire people to wash their cars. 

The second winter I was in the car wash business in the Denver area, we had a whole winter like that - a day or two of snow, then 3-5 days of sun.  Car washes were making so much money that even the stingy ones were willing to spend some. 

Car washes do have systems to keep from freezing up, exactly what type depends on the machine and site.   Most have in ground floor heat - usually a hot water/glycol mix running through tubes in the cement to keep ice from forming on the bay floors, entries and exits.  The wash equipment itself usually has a "weep system" that keeps a trickle of moving water flowing through the pipes to keep ice from forming.   Automatic washes in colder climates usually have doors at the entrance/exit, plus an in bay heater. 

You can get some spectacular ice sculptures if any of that fails, along with an expensive repair bill. 

As for who eats the cost - generally it's the merchant/car wash - there are lots of protections for the consumer. In these cases, it's not a loss, as no actual product was used.   We just reversed the charges.   Because this was a site under development, it was easy because we're keeping a close eye on the site.  Now if this had happened after we thought things were running fine, it would depend upon how long it took the merchant and/or cardholder to catch it.  

I have seen situations where I happen to stumble upon what appears to be an invalid  or overcharge that neither the merchant or cardholder appear to have noticed.  Generally these are a couple of dollars. 

• Like 8