Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

And today's story about stupid car wash stuff is about me and the lesson I learned. 

Sat down to do my expense report from my last install trip, and noticed that Budget Rent A Car had over charged me by ~$180.

Turns out that the rental agreement limited me to 100 miles a day for 4 days, and they charged me for an additional 700 miles overage.  The big problem with that is I didn't drive the car 1100 miles. I only stopped at a gas station once, on my way back to the airport, and put in 7 gallons to fill it up.  Given that it was an SUV, I doubt I put even 140 miles on it. 

I had an early AM flight and thus had to drop the car off before the rental counter opened back up, and I didn't write down the ending mileage, so some "helpful" employee did it for me. 

So now I have to fight Budget about the overage. 

Another rental car story. It must be new. Avis’ app somehow knew when I filled the car up. Little creepy, but also kinda cool. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Oops, almost yelled at you all (Caps lock was on)...

...and I have also forgotten what I was actually going to say. It was super important, too. Hopefully I'll remember it before the Gate Keeper shows up....

EDIT---no need to be sad, I was making a (n obviously lame) joke.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Man, working with a concussion is lame. I managed today, because I only had two babies and they give really clear signals about their needs, but tomorrow we have 7 babies, and over half of them don’t have clear signals. I don’t know if I’ll be able to deal towmorrow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 14
6 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Man, working with a concussion is lame. I managed today, because I only had two babies and they give really clear signals about their needs, but tomorrow we have 7 babies, and over half of them don’t have clear signals. I don’t know if I’ll be able to deal tomorrow.

I seem to recall my own, long ago concussions being fairly short term problems, with dizziness and nausea only lasting about two weeks the second (and worse) time, with the absolute worst being the second through maybe the eighth days? (Martial arts - concussions happen. Both times because of a newbie.)

The dizziness was weird - it only seemed to happen when I turned in one direction, but not the other. (I don't mean turning in circles, I mean even turning my head.) Then would come the nausea.

The first time it was only a few days.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Tuesday Timeline Trivia for April 13th (a bit early, but there's the potential for an emergency vet trip over the night):

• 1870 – The New York City Metropolitan Museum of Art, also known simply as "the Met", was founded.

• 1958 – American pianist Van Cliburn was awarded first prize at the inaugural International Tchaikovsky Competition (a classical music competition held every 4 years) in Moscow.

• 1970 – An oxygen tank aboard the Apollo 13 Service Module exploded, putting the crew in great danger and causing major damage to the Apollo command and service module (codenamed "Odyssey") while en route to the Moon.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
6 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Oops, almost yelled at you all (Caps lock was on)...

...and I have also forgotten what I was actually going to say. It was super important, too. Hopefully I'll remember it before the Gate Keeper shows up....

EDIT---no need to be sad, I was making a (n obviously lame) joke.

Was it an update on your rent free squirrels..?  Also, here is a quick primer on the attic invading squirrels <_< of Texas: 

FF2321D9-32DD-4CCF-9AFE-5CB54E6DA816.thumb.jpeg.51b99b638c71266965adffc441f7ed1a.jpeg

GREY ^ SQUIRREL 

195117AF-1B4B-49A9-82F1-0995EDA4DF5A.thumb.jpeg.adf6197ca5befdd2090729bf505ab6ac.jpeg

TEXAS DIRE ^ SQUIRREL

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 17
  • Sad 1

So I discovered & confirmed today that sometime in the last year, the software engineer broke a feature being used by several sites when he implemented a new feature for several other sites. 

:wacko:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 9
On 4/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, Cygnwulf said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  There should be an established procedure for lost keys, contacting the building super for instance, not randomly buzzing tenants.

Normally, that policy last until the super has been buzzed a dozen or so times.  then the super starts charging for the service and the people go right back to buzzing other suites to avoid the payment and then you have the additional fun of having them beg you not to tell on them for 20 minutes.

Makes me happy to live in a house.  that way if i forget my key and need to be let in, I can just break a window and fix it later.  Although my house locks are now all remote activated and pin coded so even if I forget my keys, I can still type in the number and enter.  (of course that has its own set of problems. )

On 4/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, Morihalda said:

Hello, my lovely friends!

This is rather personal but I would appreciate the help.

I am starting a new medication today for a few of my physical issues. A potential side effect can take my anxiety and depression to more extreme levels. I'm not asking for y'all to spend your own energy, but if you happen to notice anything too off (not interacting, more bland or negative responses), please please please reach out to me so I can notice that side effect happening.

My love will be keeping an eye on me of course, but I felt that reaching out to a group of folks I love and interact with would help too. I've worked so hard on my physical and mental progress over the years and I don't want to lose it. I've learned to like being alive, even with these struggles.

Thanks,

Mori :wub:

well, it is good that you remain alive and I hope the medication will help you more than it bothers you.  As someone who is looking down the barrel of eventual Addison's disease (Chronic lower back pain and depression) I can sympathize with the balance of trying to not let your meds affect your life. and trying to work around them.

We will try to keep our eyes out for aberrant behavior (although in this forum that can be difficult to separate from normal activity)  and keep you informed if we notice anything.  I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out well!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I can just break a window and fix it later. 

Of course, breaking into your own house reveals just exactly how secure it is, which then leads to worries about beefing up your own home security. :blink:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1