Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

afbeelding.png.ac4b3c3d51ea73a9a774ff564f0bbfe1.png

Those were mostly fixable; it was when the VCR got hungry that was the real catastrophe.

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Something I've learned over the years is that troubleshooting is a skill set that is completely separate from other skill sets. 

It works best in conjunction with another skill set, such as knowledge of electronics, but a person who is good at troubleshooting can often make more progress on solving an issue in a field they know little about than someone knowledgeable in that field who has no troubleshooting skills at all. 

The tech I'm working with is a great example - she started off in the chemical sales and delivery side of the company, got thrown into a few situations where she was able to figure things out, and eventually moved into being a tech, despite having no formal training in electronics, electricity or plumbing. In fact, her schooling is for nursing.   But she has such a knack for troubleshooting it was a natural progression for her. 

You are spot on in your observation about troubleshooting as a separate skillset.

Navy sent me to a year and a half of electronic school, with about a week of one module in B school dealing with troubleshooting.

It wasn't until I was confronted on a daily basis with malfunctioning systems that my troubleshooting skills were developed to a really useful level.

To this day I can often identify a problem in something I haven't dealt with before just by asking a few basic questions.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ok, I'm just now discovering these guys:

41127_SwampGobberRiverRaiders_WEB__14859

They are perfect for a RCon game (I ran it for my local players at the FLGS with great success!!). I just wish there were more of these guys or they were cheaper. Either way, I've got a captain mini out of these 3!!

• Like 10
5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

We can only hope that skill will someday be needed again!

Budget Car Rental is taking their sweet time refunding my $178. :angry:

And now Verizon is messing with me.   They blocked my online access to my business billing portal from the ISP I use for my work network, and even after I figured that out by trying from my home network/ISP, I found they disabled my password and even the "forgot password" link. I had to call them. 

Managed to get my password reset, but still can't log in from my work network - I'm pretty sure they blocked the static IP I have for work.  This is a PITA, because I don't want to have to switch my work computer over to my home network every time I need to pay my bill.  Supposedly my ticket has been escalated, but I just know I'm going to end up in an argument with them about it being my network or their system. 

The Verizon thing sounds similar to my T-Mobile bill this month. Bill jumped from 185 a month to 205....WT%!!!!! The guy at the store said it was due to a promotion when I bought S10 had expired. Ummmm dude I paid my phone off  the first time we got gov't stimulus checks. He was then, oh well they weren't charging you, now that the promo has expired, they are. Starting to boil over, I asked why should I be charged when the phone is mine.

All I know, the guy kept repeating the same broccoli over & over. I looked at him & said "Well then I guess it's time I look for anther carrier? Hmmm?" He gave me a dumb stare & just walked out on him. It didn't help I stood in the store for probably over 30 mins as 4 employees helped 3 customers (1 customer couldn't figure out her Apple ID + she kept forgetting things in her car...sigh. Anther was setting up a new account & the other with the forgetful Apple person).

I did decide that my daughter is old enough that she can start paying her bill each month + I think I'm gonna "drop" her off my service & put her on her own. Again, she is old enough for this. I also used the new round of stimulus to pay off my son's iphone, which when we first got it, he agreed to pay me, monthly, but that ended a few months ago. I ended up just saying it was his Christmas present last year. I also paid my daughter's phone & the only phone left to buy is my wife's & that is only got 90 bucks left (comes out to 10/month), so my actual bill from them is 140....Seems a bit high if you ask me.

I still may look into other carriers, as I don't use my phone that much, other then to stream music at work & some basic internet browsing.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, haldir said:

The Verizon thing sounds similar to my T-Mobile bill this month. Bill jumped from 185 a month to 205....WT%!!!!! The guy at the store said it was due to a promotion when I bought S10 had expired. Ummmm dude I paid my phone off  the first time we got gov't stimulus checks. He was then, oh well they weren't charging you, now that the promo has expired, they are. Starting to boil over, I asked why should I be charged when the phone is mine.

All I know, the guy kept repeating the same broccoli over & over. I looked at him & said "Well then I guess it's time I look for anther carrier? Hmmm?" He gave me a dumb stare & just walked out on him. It didn't help I stood in the store for probably over 30 mins as 4 employees helped 3 customers (1 customer couldn't figure out here Apple ID + she kept forgetting things in her car...sigh. Anther was setting up a new account & the other with the forgetful Apple person).

I did decide that my daughter is old enough that she can start paying her bill each month + I think I'm gonna "drop" her off my service & put her on her own. Again, she is old enough for this. I also used the new round of stimulus to pay off my son's iphone, which when we first got it, he agreed to pay me, monthly, but that ended a few months ago. I ended up just saying it was his Christmas present last year. I also paid my daughter's phone & the only phone left to buy is my wife's & that is only got 90 bucks left (comes out to 10/month), so my actual bill from them is 140....Seems a bit high if you ask me.

I still may look into other carriers, as I don't use my phone that much, other then to stream music at work & some basic internet browsing.

We just switched to Consumer Cellular and so far, no problems.  I have a new flip phone with a larger screen than the old LG model I've been  using for so long I can't remember how long it's been.  New phone is 4g old one was 3g.  Suits my humble needs for an actual phone and not an electronic addiction enabler

GEM.

• Like 8

Question for today:

What is going to happen to Rocky Moselle when the Space Aliens make their presence known?

Whose Rocky Moselle?  That's the guy that has been advertising for years and years the "Name A Star" thing.

Personally, I think when this guy finds out there's somebody someplace other than Earth who already has the Universal Franchise [or even Galactic Franchise] he's going to be in trouble deep enough to make the Marianas Trench look like a shallow rivulet.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Less than two months to go on this year's after school program.

And I lose more than half my players - who are juniors and seniors this year.

I could easily keep this campaign alive, with new players, but it won't be the same.

Also, for a campaign that I planned on running off the cuff, I ended up doing a lot of planning.

Decisions, decisions....

The Auld Grump

• Like 10
5 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Those were mostly fixable; it was when the VCR got hungry that was the real catastrophe.

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

My nephew solved that once when he was a few years old. He shoved his grilled cheese sandwich into the vcr. The vcr ate it no problem but didn't work afterwards. Nobody saw it happen so it wasn't until I tore the vcr apart that we realised what had gone wrong.

• Haha 14
1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

🤔 I wonder if it will let me post this...

Edit: yes, it’s just letting us post the emojis from our phones. Sweet. 🤩

They look like empty boxes to the rest of us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sounds like the guy is qualified to troubleshoot anything up to the point where the power circuits enter the car wash operating hardware and software.

A Double EE is in way over their head unless they have a lot of experience in the control side of power distribution, and I'm not talking about the modern equivalent of the big high power knife switches but the computers and servo's that control the entire distribution system.

GEM

It's true I'm controls engineering from a VhE background.  It's best for everyone if I stay outside of the 480 motor control centers, but at least I'm willing to admit this.  Too many EEs think if it has electricity in a wire they are qualified to work on it :poke::;,;:

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

They look like empty boxes to the rest of us. 

I can see the special new emojies on my phone and I can copy them but they are not on my selectable list.  Bummer...

• Like 8