Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Dixie has recurring issues, namely because she'll eat anything she finds in the yard, so she is always watched like a hawk when I have her outside. Since I was gone most of yesterday, I can't say. But she's also getting more meals because of medicine for her shoulder, and may have been overfed or given something while I was gone that upset her stomach. I'm constantly saying to people "don't give her that, she'll end up with diarrhea"... and they give it to her anyways.

Molly is not the type to eat anything. She'll sniff something if she finds it, but otherwise she behaves. That's why I'm so worried for her.

We had an unexpained sickness and skitters incident with all 3 cats at one point last year. The vets best guess was that it was either something viral or that they licked something off our shoes or something else that came from outside the house. They all got several jabs, we're under the weather for a couple more days but then made a full recovery. Here's hoping your two recover just as quickly. Sending many good vibes and karma from all of us at the house of Neko 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I remember having that as a kid; whole lot of suck right there.

I baffled my parents.  They apparently put me around others with such, several times...  And I never showed a single sign of catching it.  I had to live such experiences vicariously through other people's stories. 

They weren't as baffled as the doctors when I went into ER several years ago with a chevron pattern of mosquito bites on my arm that looked especially like a shingles reaction to one of them. 

Meanwhile, the ER dermatologist was fascinated, as was my second doctor because they got to see something they'd never seen before...   I didn't know whether to be honoured or not o_O

I seem to have made a habit of bringing things they'd never seen before to the ER the past ten years, like collapsing at work unable to move, and then by the time they get me there I'm walking unsteadily, then by the time the doctor sees me I'm all "ugh, that wasn't fun"...  And everything came back normal, which reaaaaally confused the ER Doc.  Usually in such cases your body is at least courteous enough to leave some sort of a marker, or a hint in your blood, or y'know they wheel you on and the effects are still there.  Mine?  Nope! 

Thinking of my body, it even tried to hide a fractured elbow, and by that I mean by the time they got me to xrays it was showing signs of already mending itself.  No wonder Wolverine was such a favourite of mine when I was younger. 

I do remember trying my best to have sympathy for friends that had chicken pox though once dad reminded me of alllll those ant bites I got one year, and how chicken pox was that, but for several days, and got worse if you scratched the itch.  Yeah, that wasn't fun, but that pain died down after just a few hours. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I’m pretty sure Sephy has chicken pox, even though she got the vaccine. She’s got a thing on her face and she’s been feeling unwell the last two days. Poor little bean.

The vaccine won't totally prevent her from getting it, just give her a milder case of it.  I vaguely remember having it.  Did not get it as bad as my brother, and I was old enough to not scratch at it.  Scratching makes it worse, and can cause scarring, so if nobody has told you, she might need mittens.  I do still have two faint scars, one on my ankle and one on my hand. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I remember having that as a kid; whole lot of suck right there.

Sucks having it a second time as an adult too; I had shingles 6 years ago from the amount of stress going on. Not fun.

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Hugs and love for the fluffy babies. I know it's stressful right now but I'm sure they'll get better! ❤️

Thank you all for the well-wishes for Dixie and Molly. Both have improved, I brought Molly home today. Need to keep a careful watch on her and closely watch food/water intake. They are suspecting gastroenteritis, but they couldn't get an abdominal ultrasound to confirm without keeping her overnight again (apparently the emergency unit of the animal hospital only has access to it over the weekends for the most critical of patients... baffling and irritating). She improved so much from the fluids and meds they gave her that we brought her home instead; poor baby didn't sleep the entire time because the ICU staff disturbs them every hour when they check on them. She did drink water for them, and eventually eat for them; if she hadn't done that, we would have left her another night.

Off to monitor I go, and try not to fall asleep myself.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Experiments in the proper blending of cheese and fat continue...

100_2180.JPG.f6830c2e9b431b1110b9565cbcc41da8.JPG

The cheese sticks fresh from the oven. This isn't the usual pan I use, I tried this one in the hopes of getting some nicer color to the crust and larger surface area, which it did, but at the expense of being a very dry crust. I also tried a new cheese mix here, combining grated mozzerella with grated provolone. Tastes fine, but I think I'll go back to my older method of grated mozz and hand shredded provolone.

100_2181.JPG.b77e2fb5e5bbfdddf910ed98a776fcc1.JPG

Experiment 7a: Wield the Skillet Edition.

Not having any cast iron pans, I figured I'd give the skillet a try. Took 16 minutes at 475. I precooked the crust for 8 mins before applying everything else, I'll have to make a higher lip around the edges, since there was a lot of cheese going over the side which made getting it out a hassle. The crust itself however is a tasty clone of the old school hand tossed Pizza Hut, so I'm going to be wielding the skillet from here on in.

100_2182.JPG.99de2f6510adf676e7224d8b145d070a.JPG

(After test bite. Proper thickness has been achieved, which I wasn't getting with the previous pan.)

Underneath the cheese are mushrooms and green pepper chunks, I tossed the pepperoni on since I had it lying around. Which perhaps I ought not have done, as this is the first time I've had issues with the cheese coming off the slice when handled. However since I used a bit more sauce than in previous experiments, and a gargantuan amount of cheese, I'll need to narrow this down further.

Flavorwise, I'm hitting almost exactly on the mark. I actually paid attention this time to the proper mix of herbs/spices to add to the tomato paste so that is spot on, using fresh green pepper and mushrooms, spot on again opposed to the canned from the last attempt, so other than not using the Digiornos refugee pepperoni, and adjustments needed to the cheese mix I should soon have a near enough clone recipe down pat.

• Like 17

Glad to hear that she's back home @ManvsMini! Gastroenteritis is a nasty thing to deal with, we always have a box of (expensive)vet formulated food pouches in the cupboard just in case. Did your vet prescribe some kolin paste for her? We always keep a supply of that too, mostly due to cake batter stealing shenanigans from a certain inky feline....

@Lord of the Dish Pit, those look absolutely delicious! 

In other news, Kurogane has reacted with surprise and excitement at the news that we will be getting a large Kickstarter from reaperland in mere months. You can never have too many boxes, after all :lol:

IMG_20210418_150022101.thumb.jpg.39b3f8da104d76a9da37eb903380231a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Today's Oglaf actually deals with our hobby. ::):

That demon looks so disgruntled in the last panel - his victims just don't get it. ::P:

*EDIT* Actually, all the expressions in the three last panels are terrific.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2