Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

On high fructose in pop/soda, I am in the sugar only please category, since I have developed fructose intolerance.  We buy Mexican Coke, Mountain Dew with sugar and a locally made cream soda that is amazing.   Though I mostly don't drink it anymore, trying to cut down on calories...

In other news,  getting my 2nd shot of Pfizer on Tuesday afternoon. Already put Wednesday down as vaccine recovery day on my work calendar.   Work is also giving hubby and I $75 each for getting vaccinated.  I have been super impressed with the corporation that merged with my  company early last year.  Their pandemic response has been really great. 

• Like 13

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Kids are weird, and have weird taste buds. My oldest son used to love dipping Golden Grahams in sweet and sour sauce when he was a toddler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine a while back. I am part of the 10% (or whatever the small percentage was) of people who experience no side effects.

Grump told me he can come up with something tasty containing OJ and mini marshmallows... I am betting it involves curry.

Second dose the 10th.

• Like 11

I'm Baaack!

What an ordeal.

Intention was to be in Nevada late afternoon and get the keys to the house/do walkthrough on 04-19.  things didn't work out as there was a rolling roadblock from circa 10 miles south of Bishop all the way through town and out the other side.

A HUGE piece of machinery, some sort of pump and piping manifold that was extra high and two lanes wide.  Yes, I said two - lanes - wide.  FOUR Pilot Cars, a Bucket Truck to lift wires, and At Least TWO Highway Patrol cars to enforce the knuckleheads actually stopping when it was necessary to wrong way the load to dodge immovable overhead obstructions like traffic light heads.  Was entertaining as I used to run a Pilot Car Service, but it put us far enough behind schedule that we ended up in a motel in Carson City overnight.

Which means we picked up the keys/did walkthrough on 04-20, but it wasn't a nice answer at all.

The rest is spoilered due to length and the gruesome details are - gruesome.

Spoiler

For starters, only one of the four keys that actually fit the keyways for the door locks worked.  There were six keys total on the ring, no clue what the ones that didn't fit the keyway are for.  They ended up sending out a guy with new door-lock sets to get the mess unscrambled, but that didn't happen till Wednesday.  [Talking with the guy, they have frequent problems with the factory locks and keys not matching]

Go inside and the place is an absolute mess, with roofing materials on a plastic sheet in the master bedroom.  Paint and plaster mess all over the vinyl flooring we paid extra for in place of the standard carpeting, and a layer of construction dust over everything..  The lady they sent to clean up freaked out but she got the master suite ready for us while we took care of some of the business that comes with setting up a new residence in a different state.  I'll finally be able to get my truck registered in Nevada next trip. She asked us not to go into the rest of the house any more than necessary so we didn't track dirt back into the master.  She came back Wednesday, with a helper and after she was seen at Urgent Care for having messed up her back trying to get the floors acceptable in our Master Suite.  She also told us they had to send yet another person out to turn on the water heater as she discovered it hadn't been lit off when she started doing her work.

Was able to cook dinner Wednesday, TV dinners for simplicity and ease of cleanup but had to use the conventional oven because the brand new - built in microwave doesn't work.  The buttons all work, the clock works [once it is set], the timer works, but the turntable doesn't turn and the magnetron [the thingie that makes the microwaves] doesn't hum.  Didn't get a straight answer from our builder until this afternoon when we were already on the road to Victorville that there is a tag with a phone number under the sink on the door [this is starting to sound like something Arthur Dent would have encountered] for warranty service on all the appliances.

The air conditioner didn't work.  Heater was fine, air circulation fine, but the ground package for a/c wouldn't work.  They hadn't checked it, and some piece of kit in one of the electrical boxes had to be put in "the other way" in order for the a/c to function properly.

Bunch of other smaller stuff has to be fixed/replaced, but will take time "due to covid and longer shipping times".

Am I being unreasonable for having expected all this stuff to be checked and/or done between Escrow Recording on the second day of the month and us actually picking up the keys 18 days later?

On the good side, our well is functioning properly and it will take me some time to get used to drinking actual water without a lot of chemical treatment as baggage.  It tastes good, almost like bottled spring water, but coming out of the tap.  And the ice cube maker functions properly.

I'm pooped

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Sad 17

@Green Eyed Monster yikes! What a clusterfudge! You aren’t unreasonable at all. The house should have been done and ready to move in.

9 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

That's how things work at the place I work at... Every day they tear off little bits of my soul as I try to keep the place running.

Whatever you do, don't ever let her pour Sunny Delight over Golden Grahams cereal...

/voice of experience

When I was a kid (like, in kindergarten) I had a temporary dairy allergy. I remember for about a year I couldn’t eat milk. At least once I tried putting orange juice on my cereal. I think I also tried water. This was in ye olden days before milk alternatives.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Let's stroll through some history for April 24th:

• 1183 BC – Traditional reckoning of the Fall of Troy marking the end of the legendary Trojan War, given by chief librarian of the Library of Alexandria Erastothenes, among others sources.

• 1885 – American sharpshooter Annie Oakley was hired by Nate Salsbury to be a part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West (a circus-like attraction).

• 1982 – Germany wins the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time with "Ein bißchen Frieden" ("A Little Peace") performed by 17-year-old high school student Nicole.

• 1990 – Gruinard Island, Scotland, was officially declared free of the anthrax disease after 48 years of quarantine.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Citrine said:

Work is also giving hubby and I $75 each for getting vaccinated.  I have been super impressed with the corporation that merged with my  company early last year.  Their pandemic response has been really great. 

I'm kind of envious of such an offer.  My workplace isn't offering much other than strong recommendations to get it, because apparently they legally can't say anything even remotely close to "get it or you lose your job"....  Despite us interacting with the public, going in and out of restricted areas (including some in hospitals), and generally being around 100+ people every day if you look at things before the pandemic. 

Hell, even a $20 spiff would be awesome, but I can see why the company is going the strongly recommend way - most employees are foaming at the mouth to be able to get vaccinated anyways, due to a variety of reasons (something like 80% of our employees get the flu shot every year), so it won't be too too hard to have most of them vaccinated anyways. 

Spiffs of encouragement are always appreciated though! 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Regular, every day can of Coca-Cola here in Canada....

20210423_151842.thumb.jpg.85e7f726d96b54c8b90ed8348334b438.jpg

No High Fructose Corn Syrup to be seen in most of our pop up here, typically just the stuff that winds up being imported from the US that Zellers used to sell.

I also suspect that sugar is the main sweetening agent in most countries other than the United States.

The countries who use HFCS are the countries with high access to complex starches, ie: corn.  So the US, Russia and some countries in south America and western Asia where corn production is possible.

16 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'll be getting my second Moderna dose next month and I'm expecting the side effects, but no clue as to when I'll start to feel them. Especially since I have a 7 hour drive right after.

But since I'll have the next day off, I plan on taking it slow and allow myself to be miserable.

I had my second shot of Pfizer and was rather icky for 2 days but i am finally feeling better today.  Of course I had 3 medical procedures that week and I'm on chemo so I'm probably not the best test subject 

15 hours ago, Inarah said:

Glucose is often re-labeled corn syrup.  It can be from another starchy plant, but corn syrup is the most common.  Fructose can be from fruits, but also sugar cane, sugar beets, and.... yes.... it's another word for corn syrup. 

Like everything else fructose is useful and tasty without consequence in moderation and cane or beet sugar is just as bad for the body if you take enough of it.  I wouldn't give up Cornsyrup because jyou can't make snappers  or snockerdoodles without it (you can but they don't crisp right)  ther are also some candies  that only work with it.  Don't hate the chemical, hate the corporations that put 4 ounces of sweetener in a 12 ounce beverage

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Making me really glad I pretty much don't use anything with corn syrup or HFCS in it anymore. When was the last time I had something with that in it? Maybe a cadbury cream egg? I had a piece or two of Halloween candy - a snickers perhaps? Not even my "junk food" has it. My "junk food" is Angie's Boom Chicka Pop popcorn or pita chips & hummus. The lemonade I get uses cane sugar and I cut that 50% with water.

Standard soda is so darn sweet it gives me a stomach ache within a few minutes of gulping it down.

I haven't been able to drink more than a few ounces of soda at a time in years, my drugs don't mix well with it....

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Gee, Kurogane, what are we going to do tonight?

The same thing that we do every night, Robert- try to take over the world!

IMG_20210423_130410926.thumb.jpg.cdfc8b3116dc26356db082f9dd2e3ecd.jpg

I got that IKEA shark for my wife for her birthday!  I think it's a requires badge of membership for the takeover the world club

Sort of like a secret handshake...but with teeth!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Gee, Kurogane, what are we going to do tonight?

The same thing that we do every night, Robert- try to take over the world!

IMG_20210423_130410926.thumb.jpg.cdfc8b3116dc26356db082f9dd2e3ecd.jpg

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

I got that IKEA shark for my wife for her birthday!

I think I need to get Molly one of those, since she's feeling so much better than this time last week. My way of saying "I'm sorry I left you overnight at the vet, but you scared the broccoli out of me and left me no choice. Here's another token of my love." Granted, the tiny munchkin Maltese (referred to as Munch because he'll put anything in his mouth except his own food) would probably gnaw it open and de-stuff it.

• Like 9

When I do spring for something sweet I have to go for Real Sucrose Sugar. HFCS is too sweet, sucralose gives me a bellyache, aspartame tastes gross. Erythritol (sugar alcohols) taste a bit like mint and too much also gives me a bellyache.

Or just fruit. I can eat all sorts of fruit.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

When I do spring for something sweet I have to go for Real Sucrose Sugar. HFCS is too sweet, sucralose gives me a bellyache, aspartame tastes gross. Erythritol (sugar alcohols) taste a bit like mint and too much also gives me a bellyache.

I have found that maltitol for sugar substitute works about the best. its a little gritter than normal sugar and not quite as sweet.  in large quantities it can cause intestinal issues but if you eat it within reason.  I have always been a fan of the stuff but like all of these things, each persons experience will be different.

34 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Or just fruit. I can eat all sorts of fruit.

which would be fructose in lower levels... 😁

• Like 7