Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

On 4/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, Inarah said:

Not quite.  The reintroduced formula known as "Coke Classic" is made with high fructose corn syrup.  The flavor change was subtle, but after the New Coke debacle very few people could tell the difference.   

While Coke Classic was being distributed in cans, a few plants were still making the real original formula using cane sugar and bottling in glass because there were still many vending machines that only dispensed the older style bottles.  Sadly they were eventually phased out.

Today you can only get the early formula Coca Cola made with sugar, in glass bottles,  as an import from Mexico.  

We had a really old vending machine at work which was still filled with "the real thing" in glass bottles, for a nickle, because the boss was too cheap to upgrade to a newer machine.  Cleaned that thing out nearly every day. 

There was a tactile difference in the old formula Coca-Cola, almost an astringency in the mouth.

Also, I don't remember it being as sweet, there was a definite undertone of slight bitterness which I attribute to one of the oils [clove and other oils are part of the formula]that is now overwhelmed by the sweetness.

I only drink Coca-Cola when in pubic anymore, having found Kroger's Big K Cola more to my taste as it isn't as sweet tasting.

GEM

Addendum:  Going to track down some of the Mexican Glass Bottle Coca-Cola and do a taste test.  Should be easy, I think the local Winco carries it.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 12

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to report that Wally World must consider the pandemic at an end.

I have deduced this from the evidence in store, with all packages of face masks reduced to $0,50 per package.

Somehow I don't think they would be trying to unload stock at fire sale prices if they felt there was going to be any future market.

GEM

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Well, that was interesting... :rolleyes:

An enormous bumblebee somehow found its way into my basement. I was debating the best way to chase it back outside without harming it...

...When it landed dead in the middle of my forehead. :huh:

So I just walked outside, and brushed it off.

...Whereupon it proceeded to decide it felt like crawling over my hand for a minute or two, then trying to walk up my arm.

At which point I finally managed to blow on it hard enough that it decided to fly away.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Mad Jack said:

An enormous bumblebee somehow found its way into my basement. I was debating the best way to chase it back outside without harming it...

...Whereupon it proceeded to decide it felt like crawling over my hand for a minute or two, then trying to walk up my arm.

At which point I finally managed to blow on it hard enough that it decided to fly away.

You must have smelled good to that particular bumblebee.

That or your not defaulting to Attack Mode convinced it you were friend, not foe.

GEM

• Like 8

Bumblebees are pretty damn friendly. It takes a lot to really irritate them. Last summer I found where the bumblebees went for afternoon nap time (on a shrub outside my window). I'd go pet their fuzzy lil' backs and at most I got a tiny paw raised at me.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Pretty good day today. It started off with 3 hours at work. I'm only going to claim 2 hours on my time card, though. The last hour was me looting and pillaging all the stuff that I just helped to throw away. By my reckoning, the $250+ worth of plastic storage tubs, parts organizers and other stuff that I walked away with is ample compensation for the other hour. 

Bonus:  they had BACON!

(Someone cooked up a bunch of scrambles eggs, BACON, and hash browns and brought it in for whoever might want some.)

I also finished off another Bones 1 mini, and started on another one. Pics of the finished one in a little while.

Dinner is in the oven and it already smells delicious, and there's a Maple brown sugar apple pie waiting for after.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

You must have smelled good to that particular bumblebee.

That or your not defaulting to Attack Mode convinced it you were friend, not foe.

GEM

Bugs like me for some reason. I've had everything from praying mantises to dragonflies to spiders and scorpions just casually walk up and climb on me like I'm just another tree branch or something.

A praying mantis rode around on my shoulder once for nearly half an hour, and even let me place several beetles next to it for it to eat.

• Like 11

In prep for big bike ride, I tried making my own energy bars. Oats, almonds, chocolate chips, honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and some spices. Then put in a tray and press it. So.... I decided to jump on it to press it. Parchment paper on top, then a small cutting board that fit inside the baking tray. Then jump on the cutting board! I'm small so it seemed like a better option than mushing it down with me arm. Hopefully they'll turn out good and right-textured, and keep consistency in a to-go bag. Guess I'll find out! They're chilling in the fridge now. At least smells good.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Bugs like me for some reason. I've had everything from praying mantises to dragonflies to spiders and scorpions just casually walk up and climb on me like I'm just another tree branch or something.

A praying mantis rode around on my shoulder once for nearly half an hour, and even let me place several beetles next to it for it to eat.

Congratulations, you're now considered to be terrain. ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

26 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

In prep for big bike ride, I tried making my own energy bars. Oats, almonds, chocolate chips, honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and some spices. Then put in a tray and press it. So.... I decided to jump on it to press it. Parchment paper on top, then a small cutting board that fit inside the baking tray. Then jump on the cutting board! I'm small so it seemed like a better option than mushing it down with me arm. Hopefully they'll turn out good and right-textured, and keep consistency in a to-go bag. Guess I'll find out! They're chilling in the fridge now. At least smells good.

trail mix.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

17 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Tonight, for dinner, I made a dish with chicken - using orange juice, mini marshmallows, and peanuts to make a glaze.

because I could. ::P:

The Auld Grump - I called it Chicken Brigid.

And... how was it? ^_^

~~~

And now to figure out which resin kit I'm going to have on my desk, because boy do I want to get one started...  Only question is whether to go with the Zaku I Sniper, the in the mail Zaku II, or the Gunner Zaku Warrior I also already have.  That Sniper seems tempting though, for some reason.

Then the other question is the obvious: to do a thread on it or not (assuming such is allowed here on the forums)

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And... how was it? ^_^

~~~

And now to figure out which resin kit I'm going to have on my desk, because boy do I want to get one started...  Only question is whether to go with the Zaku I Sniper, the in the mail Zaku II, or the Gunner Zaku Warrior I also already have.  That Sniper seems tempting though, for some reason.

Then the other question is the obvious: to do a thread on it or not (assuming such is allowed here on the forums)

Not bad  - I based the glaze on a recipe I originally created for sweet potatoes - which was another ingredient.

I didn't really measure, but - two yams cut into 1 inch cubes, three good sized chicken breasts or four thighs cut into 1 inch cubes (maybe a bit bigger), 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, two Fresno peppers - diced, one onion - coarsely diced, 2 T of hot sauce, 1 C orange juice, 1/4 C crushed peanuts.

Brown sugar. peanuts, mini marshmallows, orange juice, onions, peppers, and hot sauce all tossed into a sauce pan on low heat, until it all sort of melts together and thickens.

Cook the chicken and yams in a skillet with a dollop of oil, then toss the glaze in, and toss until it coats the meat. Continue to cook until the glaze starts to turn brown and caramelizes.

Serve over rice.

Like I said - I didn't really measure, so you may need to experiment.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2