Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll see your flank steak, and raise you some sour cream chicken:

chicken thighs coated with sour cream and then rolled in bread crumbs with good seasons zesty Italian dressing mix mixed in.

Super moist and juicy and delicious. 

Sadly, there are also no pictures of this, either.

I'm expecting it to start raining here soon; it's super windy outside right now, and it just feels like rain.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I'm ALWAYS interested in car wash drama! ::D:

I'm actually serious, I really enjoy reading your experiences. I love hearing tradespeople stories; every one gives me a greater understanding of everything that goes into making modern civilization work, and a deeper appreciation for those that put up with nonsense like you describe on a daily basis in order to keep all the gears turning (or at least mostly functioning). Ever since MrBoot had a temporary job in a metal-working shop, I look at street signs and think, "People MADE that. Someone designed it, someone else provided the raw materials, someone else turned them into a sheet of metal, someone cut it out, someone painted it, and lastly someone else installed it. Not to mention everyone that transported those various parts all over the world."

It's beautifully mind-boggling when one stops to think about it. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

^^^ This^^^

Among other material used for all kinds of purposes one of the things I transported was diatomaceous earth, used for flux at a steel mill.  Electric Hearth process to turn scrap steel into circa 6" x 6" x 8' billets that were allowed to cool then reheated, sent through a rolling mill and made into rebar of all sizes.

The heat of the cooling stacks of reprocessed metal were incredibly hot as the stuff cooled from orange hot down to black over several days.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Look into MDF.

The current plan is to arrange for a raid on what local thrift stores may still be open. Odds are this is the material I will find. 

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I predict a rain of some sort by this time tomorrow night. 

Perhaps, attacking the weeds or planning to mow tends to bring it. Knowing my luck, it's lurking just out of view ready to swoop in and ruin my plans for the 30th. 

• Like 9

Well, the last couple nights haven't been too bad at work, Sunday night was the worst of the two. Last night was easy thanks to I was working on my work of Sunday night. Who knows what tonight will bring. I just hope with grocery inventory next week, that the load will be reasonable, cause the backroom has got a lot of "stuff" in it. I say "stuff" cause will the forum won't let me post the S-word I want to use. Thou, I doubt there is a "order less" bone in the grocery manager's body tbh. That guy has no clue what goes on in that backroom or store, if you really want to get techincal.

I just hope the guy I'm working with goes a hell of lot faster. Guy is there, just not the fastest person in the world. Thou I will admit, it beat the asshat I would have been stuck with. Probably call in saying his wife was in labor every night.......<_<

Tomorrow night is AL, Thursday is 2nd Moderna shot & who know what will come after that. I may or may not make it into work, Thurs night or make it the entire night. We shall see.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Megan talked me into keeping the cops campaign in the after school game - assuming it continues next year.

But I may be advancing the timeline a few years - New PCs, starting from 1st level, and as new recruits in a now well established PD.

The ME retiring, his now-wife taking over as ME, though he does lend a hand from time to time. They have two kids.

Casey advancing to Chief of Police. (And turning down a title.)

The old PCs now in the upper levels of the PD - and the bard/reporter now chief editor of The Sharlaeone Clarion.

The Queen married, with a baby on the way.

Queenpin in prison, though strangely sanguine about it....

Dunn the ogre is a sergeant, and married to his dwarf lady love.

We will see how long this plan lasts. ::P:

The Auld Grump

I decided to punt - and sent out an e-mail outlining the options.

Overwhelmingly, the first group wants to keep the cops setting - it was unanimous.

Whether to pick up from the end of this season, or to pick up five or ten years later... was an exact draw. (Well, three, three, and two - with the two being 'I don't care'.)

On Thursday I hear back from the other group - but at this point, the Cops part is nailed down, unless the other group is equally undivided in the opposite direction. (I already know that it won't be.)

Tonight's horror movie... isn't - It is House, with House 2 tomorrow. Of the two, I prefer House 2 - for one scene, with John Ratzenberger.

The Auld Grump

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hrmph.

We had a pump installed to use groundwater to irrigate the garden.

Tested it 5 times, worked.

Used it Monday for real, worked.

Tried to use it yesterday and today...no go...

It won't pump up enough water with enough pressure...

We filled the vertical pipe a few times to try to restart it.

Pump makes sound, very little water comes out.

We hear bubbling sounds from the water.

I have a feeling it sucks air with it...

Brother in Law will come over somewhere next week to try and fix it..

Pumps...the bane of my existence sometimes (we have two pressure pumps, one for house water supply, one for garden water). Luckily the house pump doesn't have to draw from a lower level (it's connected to above ground water tanks, so the gravity pressure from them keeps the pump primed)

It does sound like it's sucking air into the pipe, it is possible that the inlet pipe isn't deep enough, or that the pump hasn't primed properly. There should be a small cap on the pump that you can remove to add water, try opening that up and adding water until it overflows. It may take a few attempts to get the pump started

Of course, you can also add a photo of the pump etc. and I'm sure that there are a few people here that could help you out

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I decided to punt - and sent out an e-mail outlining the options.

Overwhelmingly, the first group wants to keep the cops setting - it was unanimous.

Whether to pick up from the end of this season, or to pick up five or ten years later... was an exact draw. (Well, three, three, and two - with the two being 'I don't care'.)

On Thursday I hear back from the other group - but at this point, the Cops part is nailed down, unless the other group is equally undivided in the opposite direction. (I already know that it won't be.)

Tonight's horror movie... isn't - It is House, with House 2 tomorrow. Of the two, I prefer House 2 - for one scene, with John Ratzenberger.

The Auld Grump

House 2 is a lot of fun.  House is another one I like as well, but I like William Katt and Richard Moll.  And, of course, the whole "You're No Good" scene is (IMO) worth the proverbial price of admission.  I still think, though, that An American Werewolf in London is the premiere horror-comedy movie.

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Looks like I might have to scale back my plans regarding the new shelves/hobby area. I've been hearing from various quarters that the price has lumber has skyrocketed, so my original plan isn't going to be workable.

It's like this, from what I hear, across the country.  The home construction industry is really putting the squeeze on those type of materials.

• Like 7

An idiot neighbour has decided that having extension ladders (y'know, the ones with the hooks on them) is a great idea to have in the back of their truck... Parked with said truck FACING THE BUILDING...  So, y'know, it wouldn't take someone all that long to undo their ratchet straps and use said ladders to break into the building.... >.<

Uhm....  In this area of town this is even dumber than their usual antics of leaving a leaky, rich running vehicle idling alongside many windows for quite some time... >.<

Yet my parents feel this area of town is still perfectly safe, and great. 

• Sad 13

9 minutes ago, strawhat said:

House 2 is a lot of fun.  House is another one I like as well, but I like William Katt and Richard Moll.  And, of course, the whole "You're No Good" scene is (IMO) worth the proverbial price of admission.  I still think, though, that An American Werewolf in London is the premiere horror-comedy movie.

It's like this, from what I hear, across the country.  The home construction industry is really putting the squeeze on those type of materials.

There's also a squeeze all along the production process from trees to lumber ready to ship.

GEM

• Like 7

1 hour ago, strawhat said:

I also have House 3 and 4 - with 3 being the hard one to find, since it was retitled The Horror Show. I picked up the box set from about ten years ago. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I'm ALWAYS interested in car wash drama! ::D:

I'm actually serious, I really enjoy reading your experiences. I love hearing tradespeople stories; every one gives me a greater understanding of everything that goes into making modern civilization work, and a deeper appreciation for those that put up with nonsense like you describe on a daily basis in order to keep all the gears turning (or at least mostly functioning). Ever since MrBoot had a temporary job in a metal-working shop, I look at street signs and think, "People MADE that. Someone designed it, someone else provided the raw materials, someone else turned them into a sheet of metal, someone cut it out, someone painted it, and lastly someone else installed it. Not to mention everyone that transported those various parts all over the world."

It's beautifully mind-boggling when one stops to think about it. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

If you like retail dramas, you might want to check out notalwaysright (dotcom). When the customer is not always right...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I don't know which is sadder, that there is now Marvel Superhero brand makeup, or that as soon as I saw the display I went "Oh! Pretty!" and bought some.

Who am I KIDDING?! THIS IS WEIRDLY AWESOME! Makeup companies are finally targeting Nerd Girls! ::D:

Maybelline?

Once upon a time, Revlon owned Marvel.....

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Confused 5