Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I have to say this is a REALLY good post. I love this kind of thing. Too much negative current events cloud our days; the occasional reminisce of the past is a beautiful thing. 

Thank you, I try (emphasis on try) to keep the history snippets I post on the positive side of things for that very reason. I mostly go for the interesting things that might not be common knowledge.

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I randomly decided that today is Take Your Dragon To Work Day. 

Having never seen one of those in person, is lugging that into work like bringing in a plant for your office?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Are you saying that your work is not to be a cat cushion?

In typical feline fashion, she has a bed beside my desk, a chair in the corner, and a rug that she sometimes lays on, but her favorite places to sit are where it's most inconvenient to the human in the room.

• Haha 11

5 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

In typical feline fashion, she has a bed beside my desk, a chair in the corner, and a rug that she sometimes lays on, but her favorite places to sit are where it's most inconvenient to the human in the room.

I keep a cat bed /on/ the desk; and there's currently a cat in it. So .. this works?

That said, occasionally Rajah is just not feeling the nest, and it's gotta be my arm and wrist-rest. *sigh* Cats.. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

WHY?

There was a period of time when large corporations with lots of cash went out and bought other companies, whether they fit into the conglomerate corporate mix or not.

Disney acquiring Marvel makes logical sense.  Revlon acquiring Marvel, just because they could, doesn't, unless they intended to bring out a Superhero Makeup line.

Which they never did.

GEM

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Once upon a time Quaker Oats owned Fischer Price.

I made the mistake of asking Grump.

"A short lived investment paradigm emphasizing diversity above overlapping competence, in an attempt to recession proof portfolios, but resulting in the collapse of dependent companies in the frequent event of competence incompatibility."

Then he started naming game and miniatures companies, including West End, who made the Star Wars RPG. ::(: Owned by a SHOE COMPANY!

9 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

There was a period of time when large corporations with lots of cash went out and bought other companies, whether they fit into the conglomerate corporate mix or not.

Disney acquiring Marvel makes logical sense.  Revlon acquiring Marvel, just because they could, doesn't, unless they intended to bring out a Superhero Makeup line.

Which they never did.

GEM

But Maybeline, which doesn't, did.

I actually like the lipstick, so I am happy with my purchase, even if Pioneer is a weird name for a lipstick color.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Having never seen one of those in person, is lugging that into work like bringing in a plant for your office?

Uh...sure?

20210428_134649.thumb.jpg.2313d77835b9c3f81c585a458f466755.jpg

IMMA PLANT RAWR

(think they bought it?) 

(yeah we look totes legit yo) 

(perfect camouflage lolol) 

(imma nom dis marker kthnx) 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Haha 19

So today we got a hard date on the dial up credit card processing thing - May 2022.   Yesterday it was "12-18 months", today it's 13.  Thirteen months to convince my customers still on dial up that they have to upgrade. 

Same customers I've been trying to convince since 2012 - only now I have a dead line. 

Been making lists of my dial up customers and reaching out to them today.  Ran across one I kind of feel sorry for.  The guy is 80 years old and has been trying to sell his car wash for the last 5 years. Even the building is past its prime, but the property is well suited for a fast food/drive thru site, so he's been trying to sell it to someone who will just tear it down and put something else there.  Hope he gets it sold in the next year.

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I made the mistake of asking Grump.

"A short lived investment paradigm emphasizing diversity above overlapping competence, in an attempt to recession proof portfolios, but resulting in the collapse of dependent companies in the frequent event of competence incompatibility."

Tell him to put a fiver in the Synergy jar.

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I randomly decided that today is Take Your Dragon To Work Day. 

Ma'al drakar is currently menacing my inbox:

20210428_090637.thumb.jpg.95a2d68a97a09365832aaf309c711cf2.jpg

RAWR :lol:

Huzzah! 

So, it was a slow day, then? ::D:

In other news, it's national superhero day today.

In other, other news, I have had yet another brilliant idea for a 'really cool idea' for another hobby project. This will lead to gathering what I have on hand, planning purchases for what I don't, and then be promptly forgotten/ignored in favor of the next 'really cool idea' that I get tomorrow. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Ever since MrBoot had a temporary job in a metal-working shop, I look at street signs and think, "People MADE that. Someone designed it, someone else provided the raw materials, someone else turned them into a sheet of metal, someone cut it out, someone painted it, and lastly someone else installed it. Not to mention everyone that transported those various parts all over the world."

It's beautifully mind-boggling when one stops to think about it. ^_^

Huzzah! 

I've had about 26 different jobs in my life so far. I have a fairly wide array of job skills... ::D:

You know those long money boxes on top of the washing machines and dryers at the laundromat? I used to make the outer casings and other parts for those on a variety of sheet metal presses. When I was making the cases, I was surrounded by three machines...

One took long coils of 2mm sheet metal and flattened them out, then cut them into sheets. (I also used to drive the forklift there, and had to use the forklift to stand the coils upright, attach a chain to them, and then thread them onto the spindle of the machine.) As the sheets came out of the long straightening machine, I'd put them into a press that punched all the holes in them, and another press that bent up the sides. I'd then stack them on a small table between me and the other guy I worked with, and he'd put them in the machine that did the final fold to make them into rectangles. Then they'd get stacked, and taken to the welding lines, where they'd close the seam and put the ends on.

The company was also involved in designing and building the first vending machines with credit card readers in them. One of the engineers who worked at the company at the time holds a patent for a specific switch used in them...

If you look at the dashboard of your car, I also used to work at another place that makes parts for gauges and tachometers like that.

Both the plastic and rubber bits as well as the metal ones - before operating sheet metal presses, I worked in a plastic bottle factory.

I also once worked for a place that makes flexible fiberglass and plastic heating elements, which are used in everything from those fancy CPR dummies with a body temperature to Xerox machines to Patriot freakin' missiles... :B):  There were days when I'd ship out a box the size of one of the Reaper paint cases that would have nearly $100,000 worth of product in it.

Did you know there are only about four or five screen-printing companies in the country licensed to print t-shirts for the D.A.R.E. program? I used to work for one.

I've printed t-shirts, sheets and rolls of labels, and designs on plastic bottles. I've done everything from creating the transparencies for the artwork to preparing and shooting the screens to operating the printing machines and printing by hand.

When I worked at the place that made the flexible heating elements, I used to print the part numbers on each piece and sometimes photo-etch the circuits for them.

I also know how to roll and bake pretzels.  (Did you know that pretzel dough is literally just pizza dough with added sugar?)

The coolest thing, though?

When I worked at the lighting warehouse, I once shipped a light fixture to the World Trade Center. Building #7 has a light fixture somewhere in it with my initials on the casing. ::D:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

So, here's a deep philosophical question...

Do I want to spend $14.99 to buy a dvd copy of the third movie in a series, when I specifically bought the first two movies because they were awsomely bad and had a favorite actress in them, but now they've changed up the lead actress in the third one?

Joan Severance played the Black Scorpion in the first two movies, and quite frankly, seeing her hamming it up and kicking elf while wearing skin-tight black patent leather bondage gear was pretty much the main selling point of the films. Now there's someone new playing the main character, and I'm debating whether or not I want to buy the third film just for completionist's sake.

• Like 9