Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

21 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I also have House 3 and 4 - with 3 being the hard one to find, since it was retitled The Horror Show. I picked up the box set from about ten years ago. ::):

The Auld Grump

I will have to do some checking!  Did they at least continue the practice of hiring Cheers! veterans?

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

So, here's a deep philosophical question...

Do I want to spend $14.99 to buy a dvd copy of the third movie in a series, when I specifically bought the first two movies because they were awsomely bad and had a favorite actress in them, but now they've changed up the lead actress in the third one?

Joan Severance played the Black Scorpion in the first two movies, and quite frankly, seeing her hamming it up and kicking elf while wearing skin-tight black patent leather bondage gear was pretty much the main selling point of the films. Now there's someone new playing the main character, and I'm debating whether or not I want to buy the third film just for completionist's sake.

I guess it would depend on whether you enjoyed the "badness" of it as its own thing or found the stories amusing.  Maybe try to find it on a streaming service or pick up clips on another video-posting site?

• Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

When I worked at the lighting warehouse, I once shipped a light fixture to the World Trade Center. Building #7 has a light fixture somewhere in it with my initials on the casing. ::D:

IS seven still standing?

(edit: First one is gone; second one is still around; maybe Jack meant the second iteration…)

. . . while wearing skin-tight black patent leather bondage gear was pretty much the main selling point of the films. Now there's someone new playing the main character, and I'm debating whether or not I want to buy the third film just for completionist sake.

My vote is… Nah.

vlcsnap-2015-03-29-09h41m40s1581.png

Mask looks very bat-like ???

Not that I have any idea what a scorpion mask should look like . . .

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

Well, my package that was in Ontario California yesterday made it to my house by 2pm today, so I guess the USPS isn’t as insane as they seem???

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Mask looks very bat-like ???

The forehead of the mask looks like a Klingon forehead to me.

• Like 10

Joan Severance played the Black Scorpion in the first two movies, and quite frankly, seeing her hamming it up and kicking elf while wearing skin-tight black patent leather bondage gear was pretty much the main selling point of the films. Now there's someone new playing the main character, and I'm debating whether or not I want to buy the third film just for completionist's sake.

I've seen those movies, but didn't know they had a third. They made a short-lived TV series with a different actress (Michelle Lintel) at some point in the early 2000s, and then released all of the episodes as compilation "films" so be careful; that third film may just be that, and it's not worth buying (titles were Black Scorpion Returns and Sting of the Black Scorpion). Do your research. Amazon Prime may have been where I started to watch one and then figured out it wasn't a true film.

• Like 8

Timeline Trivia for April 29th:

• 1770 – James Cook arrived in Australia at Botany Bay, which he named.

• 1826 – The galaxy Centaurus A or NGC 5128 was discovered by the Scottish astronomer James Dunlop from his home in New South Wales, Australia.

• 2004 – The final Oldsmobile was built in Lansing, Michigan, ending 107 years of vehicle production.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, it was a slow day, then? ::D:

In other news, it's national superhero day today.

In other, other news, I have had yet another brilliant idea for a 'really cool idea' for another hobby project. This will lead to gathering what I have on hand, planning purchases for what I don't, and then be promptly forgotten/ignored in favor of the next 'really cool idea' that I get tomorrow. :lol:

I think you're the only one on this Forum with such an idea.

• Haha 11

I may be getting a new laptop! It has to wait a couple months but the longer I can make this one live the nicer a laptop I will get. It'll be our wedding anniversary and, possibly, my birthday gift(s). This one takes forever to do like anything anymore. It runs at 100% disk a lot of the time and it's older amongst many, many other quality of life issues. Not sure how old because it was my mom's before me.

I'm excited but should probably start doing some research since I don't really know much about computers anymore. I, until recently, thought that 8GB of RAM was a lot for a basic computer. Turns out that's pretty much standard these days. It pays to have nerd friends who build computers. They helped me pick out Husbands laptop he just got for school (which we didn't pay for).

In other news, lots to do today. The big one is to make sure Husband goes down to the gate and lets the yard guy in on time. Dunno how long it's gonna take but it's going to be taken care of today. Also, found out yesterday that we don't actually own part of the yard that we thought was our responsibility so it doesn't need done. So Husband is going to talk to him and see what else he can do that will fill his time or whatever.

I will spend the time he is here upstairs, with very loud music, painting because the sound of lawn work drives me nuts and I don't know this guy well enough to just up and leave for awhile while he works on it. Should be a fairly productive painting day if it takes as long as I think it will.

Also, dishes, lots of dishes. Our dishwasher quit draining all the water out (I may have mentioned this semi-recently). We have concluded through various means that our drain pump has probably quit working. No idea how much that'll cost to fix or if this means I need to start looking for a new one. I'm very elfed off about it because the thing is just over a year old and just out of warranty as far as I can tell...<_<

And last thing because this has gotten long. I may have found a new selling platform. I need to look more into terms but it will allow me to also take donations free of fees and open a shop which I can upgrade to a higher tier and not have fees come out of sales or commissions. I'm going to hold off on that for a while and see if I can do enough business to actually warrant the $4.50/month for a yearly subscription for that, which I think is a steal.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

I may be getting a new laptop! It has to wait a couple months but the longer I can make this one live the nicer a laptop I will get. It'll be our wedding anniversary and, possibly, my birthday gift(s). This one takes forever to do like anything anymore. It runs at 100% disk a lot of the time and it's older amongst many, many other quality of life issues. Not sure how old because it was my mom's before me.

I'm excited but should probably start doing some research since I don't really know much about computers anymore. I, until recently, thought that 8GB of RAM was a lot for a basic computer. Turns out that's pretty much standard these days. It pays to have nerd friends who build computers. They helped me pick out Husbands laptop he just got for school (which we didn't pay for).

In other news, lots to do today. The big one is to make sure Husband goes down to the gate and lets the yard guy in on time. Dunno how long it's gonna take but it's going to be taken care of today. Also, found out yesterday that we don't actually own part of the yard that we thought was our responsibility so it doesn't need done. So Husband is going to talk to him and see what else he can do that will fill his time or whatever.

I will spend the time he is here upstairs, with very loud music, painting because the sound of lawn work drives me nuts and I don't know this guy well enough to just up and leave for awhile while he works on it. Should be a fairly productive painting day if it takes as long as I think it will.

Also, dishes, lots of dishes. Our dishwasher quit draining all the water out (I may have mentioned this semi-recently). We have concluded through various means that our drain pump has probably quit working. No idea how much that'll cost to fix or if this means I need to start looking for a new one. I'm very elfed off about it because the thing is just over a year old and just out of warranty as far as I can tell...<_<

And last thing because this has gotten long. I may have found a new selling platform. I need to look more into terms but it will allow me to also take donations free of fees and open a shop which I can upgrade to a higher tier and not have fees come out of sales or commissions. I'm going to hold off on that for a while and see if I can do enough business to actually warrant the $4.50/month for a yearly subscription for that, which I think is a steal.

Assuming your laptop is a Micro$oft operating system computer, when was the last time the hard drive was defragmented?  Also, how close to full is the hard drive?

Congrats on finding a new platform!

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Assuming your laptop is a Micro$oft operating system computer, when was the last time the hard drive was defragmented?  Also, how close to full is the hard drive?

Congrats on finding a new platform!

GEM

It's supposed to defrag like once a week, I'll see if I can run a manual one in the next few days. It's got, I believe, a 500GB hard drive so pretty sure it's no where near close to full.

• Like 5

Just now, SparrowMarie said:

It's supposed to defrag like once a week, I'll see if I can run a manual one in the next few days. It's got, I believe, a 500GB hard drive so pretty sure it's no where near close to full.

500 Gb is ok, as long as you don't have very many large files, such as video files saved.  If you have very many stored videos it will use up the space pretty quickly.

If you are over 80% of capacity you need to offload some stuff to other storage to free up some overhead.

Weekly defrag is OK, unless you get into a situation such as you describe where it is running at 100%  a lot of the time.  Running that way is an indication that the hard drive is spending a lot of time moving stuff just to find enough space for current operations to run on.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you are over 80% of capacity you need to offload some stuff to other storage to free up some overhead.

Weekly defrag is OK, unless you get into a situation such as you describe where it is running at 100%  a lot of the time.  Running that way is an indication that the hard drive is spending a lot of time moving stuff just to find enough space for current operations to run on.

It could also be an issue with microsoft updates, I've seen that before as well, get a bad one, and it keeps trying to redownload it but then has nowhere to save it.
There's a tool, in Settings>Update and Security>Recovery called 'Reset This PC'.  It has an option to be run without removing your data. it downloads a newest install set from microsoft, wipes the registry and resets all the windows updates. It also removes anything that may be starting in the background when windows starts.
After it's done you'll have to reinstall any software you had, the program files may still be there but the programs are no longer registered and a reinstall is the quickest way to resolve that.
It's some work, mostly dealing with the reinstalls, but It's revived many of an older computer I've dealt with.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1