Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Guys, it might also just be an Old Laptop. With a Slow Processor and Small RAM.

Programs we use every day, web browsers and word processors and the like, and I am including Firefox and Open Office in this lump, will be optimized over time to work on newer faster stuff. Old stuff doesn't work as well. Slow stuff doesn't work as well.

In addition, stuff ages. Like the graphics card here on this forum that lasted 8 months before dying because it had been made to mine bitcoins in a previous life, stuff Ages. If a laptop is old, 5, 6, 7+ years old, then you've got RAM that's slowly burnt out and overheated. If it's been defragging every week (lol DON'T) then you have HD wear that's built up. If you've got some idiot company who puts desktop processors into laptops (again) then enjoy your motherboard fire.

Sometimes it's not the software that's breaking down. Sometimes the hardware itself wears out. This isn't weird. This is no more weird than your car needing an oil change and a tune up.

Disclaimer: I have run 4 separate laptops into the ground with hardware damage. First one died at 3 years from the HD spinning apart. Second one failed 5 years after I got it used. Third was a netbook designed to last 2 years, I bought it used and made it last 5. Fourth was a laptop (bought new!) built badly and expected to last 3 years, I made it last six. Current laptop is a chromebook built to last 2 years, it's on year 4. Age happens.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

500 Gb is ok, as long as you don't have very many large files, such as video files saved.  If you have very many stored videos it will use up the space pretty quickly.

If you are over 80% of capacity you need to offload some stuff to other storage to free up some overhead.

Weekly defrag is OK, unless you get into a situation such as you describe where it is running at 100%  a lot of the time.  Running that way is an indication that the hard drive is spending a lot of time moving stuff just to find enough space for current operations to run on.

GEM

the three banes of modern computers:  

windows revisions and checksums

ram size

old save and backup files

a typical checksum file can be 15 MB all by itself, If you have autobackup turned on and not connected to an outside disk, that can also take huge chunks of hard drive space.  

but most importanly, if you dont have enough RAM the computer overflows to the  harddrive and uses it as a very slow memory.  this can slow the whole computer down.    I would bet that the core of your problem is available space in your memory.  

depending on how you maintain your drives and what you have stored where, i would reinstall windows.  that can give you an immense boost to computer speed.  

When I travel to areas i dont trust my good laptop to i use one that is 14 years old.  it works just fine for surfing, streaming and office programs but i have to wipe windows about once a year and start over or it just slows to a crawl.

Of course it could just be the computer processor too.  For some reason all programmers seem to think that just because a machine can have a high end GPU and CPU with huge amounts of memory they should use all of it... even if its for a word processor. (Do not get me started down this rant!).  word 2018 is not much different from word 95 but is uses 20 times the resources to do the same job...

best of luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

It's several years old now. It has a 4gb RAM. I've been wanting to get a new one for a while but upgraded to a new PC last year since the old one was like 13 years old. Now that husband has his own laptop I can clear his stuff off and maybe that'll help but not sure by how much.

I'll be trying some things to keep it going for a few more months. Not gonna argue with nicer laptop for waiting.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

We went to the park today, after my dentist appointment. To say that Sephy enjoyed herself is a vast understatement. She was pretty mad we left, but Mommy needed food badly.

When ours were that sort of age we found giving 10 minute and 5 minute warnings that we needed to leave the park reduced the incidence of screaming.

note: time given in warnings was not necessarily consistent with actual time elapsed

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I started taking my niece on errands when she was two. We would always plan to have a time at the park at the end of the day, something to look forward to. We had to take the bus, so we would take a special book to read on the bus (and watch all the other adults snicker at my horrible Spanish mispronunciations of Dora). We would point out all the places on the route and make a mind map, because the bus always took the same route. We would talk about things that were the same and things that changed. We did about the same things every week, and people expected us. We would sing to the bank tellers and they would clap and that sort of thing. Kids always like to help, so she would push the door button every where we went. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Two of my cats just got into a little hissing/spitting spat. I yelled to knock it off and took a step towards them, one of them immediately disengaged and jumped into a nearby box. She just put herself in timeout.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

18 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I've seen those movies, but didn't know they had a third. They made a short-lived TV series with a different actress (Michelle Lintel) at some point in the early 2000s, and then released all of the episodes as compilation "films" so be careful; that third film may just be that, and it's not worth buying (titles were Black Scorpion Returns and Sting of the Black Scorpion). Do your research. Amazon Prime may have been where I started to watch one and then figured out it wasn't a true film.

And there it is - Sting of the Black Scorpion...  Good to know. :rolleyes:

I'm not opposed to tv shows based off of movies, but it's generally hard to find a show starring the same character as the film that has a lead actor good enough to make the character their own while also remaining true to the original actor's work.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Two of my cats just got into a little hissing/spitting spat. I yelled to knock it off and took a step towards them, one of them immediately disengaged and jumped into a nearby box. She just put herself in timeout.:lol:

When he who operates the can opener speaks, kitty listens.

GEM

• Haha 7

& I'm on my way to bed.  A little earlier then usual on a day off/ load night but figured I can probably use it. Hopefully side effects don't hit me in the middle of the night as I'm not feeling anything other then a slight headache I had before the shot. 

If  they do show up I'm not gonna be he-man & tough it out. 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

When he who operates the can opener speaks, kitty listens.

GEM

Try telling that to my cats.  I got two 14 yr olds that want food, but not what I put out, and we've tried like 6 different cans this week. Hrmph.  Teenagers....

9 minutes ago, haldir said:

& I'm on my way to bed.  A little earlier then usual on a day off/ load night but figured I can probably use it. Hopefully side effects don't hit me in the middle of the night as I'm not feeling anything other then a slight headache I had before the shot. 

Get a good night's rest. You'll be tired and a little sore tomorrow. Call in sick. You deserve it. 

• Haha 8