Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

52 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

When he who operates the can opener speaks, kitty listens.

GEM

When I was a very Young Grump, we had a cat that learned that if she pushed down on the electric can opener, the other two cats would come running....

Yes, cats can have a (warped) sense of humor.

Both after school groups were unanimous in wanting to stay with the Cops campaign next year - and this group heavily favored keeping the current time.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Try telling that to my cats.  I got two 14 yr olds that want food, but not what I put out, and we've tried like 6 different cans this week. Hrmph.  Teenagers....

Get a good night's rest. You'll be tired and a little sore tomorrow. Call in sick. You deserve it. 

Try giving them nothing but dry kibble for three days and then offer them something from the regular menu.

"Here's the deal.  You get fussy, the menu gets trimmed back to field rations."

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Try giving them nothing but dry kibble for three days and then offer them something from the regular menu.

GEM

That was our previous operating plan. If they didn't want it they could eat kibble. It's landed one in the hospital because of plumbing issues.  She has to have her medicine mixed with wet food now.  They'll get the new routine figured out eventually. 

• Sad 13

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump has his Mordheim binder out, and what looks like a desk calendar.

I smell narrative!

No narrative (yet) - just considering weekly themes.

One week will take place as an area burns - since Wyrdstone is flammable, the warbands need to get in, even as the fire is raging. Smoke obscuring vision, buildings having fire weakened floors and walls....

Another will be floods - as the area around the Locks overflows, the warbands fighting in water to the knees, slowing movement, but making falls less dangerous - so fights may take place on the rooftops.

Famine - every warrior at -1 S and T. (Even the vampires and ghouls - but not the zombies.)

And I don't think Megan has ever played with Piotr's Pit - a pitfighting arena, with prizes.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Hrmph.  Teenagers...

More like cranky old men who don’t like change! 

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

I have a friend who had to switch to cheaper food while she was out of work (because her ankle shattered), and in protest her cats won’t eat much of it. The one cat, who started off as a 30lb monster is now 15lbs. 

Cats are extremely stubborn and stupid.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

More like cranky old men who don’t like change! 

I have a friend who had to switch to cheaper food while she was out of work (because her ankle shattered), and in protest her cats won’t eat much of it. The one cat, who started off as a 30lb monster is now 15lbs. 

Cats are extremely stubborn and stupid.

30 lb kitteh who went on a semi hunger strike is probably a lot healthier now.

I hope your friend is getting better.

GEM

• Like 7

Hmmm, okay - going to lob this out to the crowd (including Megan when she wakes up) - what would be a good season climax for the after school cops game?

I have an idea - not sure if I like it, but it will cause a stir. (And will be described in the No Megans thread.)

Last year had the Mob House (police barracks) attacked by an armored undead monster - ending the season with action, and setting up one of the major plots for the next year.

Needs to be an action/combat scene, with high stakes.

Spoilers - Megan can probably figure most of this out, but....

Spoiler

This year - the kids in one group actually finished one of the major arcs, but I would like it if I can end the season for both groups with the same scenario.

In both groups, Queenpin is still at large - badly injured in the first group, completely uninjured in the other group.

The first group also cost her most of her followers - since Casey proved the more efficient beholder, the kobolds have decided to follow him rather than Queenpin. (Over time, those kobolds will discover bureaucracy, finally finding their place in the City and Kingdom of Sharlaeone.)

The other group wrapped the Laughing Devils - and, again, some of the older Devils will remain - one group will be a major thorn in the sides of the police - the legal firm of B,W,M, & C. (Becoming Native Outsiders, now that the Gate is closed, and the rituals binding them to sacrificial victims have been stopped.)

They will slowly change alignment - becoming Lawful Neutral, but on the Evil edge of Neutral. Definitely not in the business of bargaining for souls... much.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Windows 10

There's one source of problems.  Windows 10 likes to have closer to a minimum of 8GB of RAM to work with.  Sure, the official specs say 1GB or more as minimum, and many websites will say 4GB is sufficient, but less than 8GB and it tends to have to rely heavily on whatever hard drive you have.

If possible, when sourcing a replacement/new laptop I'd recommend going for 16GB of RAM if it isn't too much more, as it provides a lot more breathing room.

Note though that I wound up running into issues with "just" 16GB of RAM myself, but I also tend to push my hardware more than the average person does.  My current rig has 32GB of RAM, but I kind of wish I had been able to squeeze in 64GB...  But I'm planning on editing video at some point.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

No narrative (yet) - just considering weekly themes.

One week will take place as an area burns - since Wyrdstone is flammable, the warbands need to get in, even as the fire is raging. Smoke obscuring vision, buildings having fire weakened floors and walls....

Another will be floods - as the area around the Locks overflows, the warbands fighting in water to the knees, slowing movement, but making falls less dangerous - so fights may take place on the rooftops.

Famine - every warrior at -1 S and T. (Even the vampires and ghouls - but not the zombies.)

And I don't think Megan has ever played with Piotr's Pit - a pitfighting arena, with prizes.

The Auld Grump

The rules for fires in Mordheim - Let the Damned Burn

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Get a good night's rest. You'll be tired and a little sore tomorrow. Call in sick. You deserve it. 

I got my usual 3 hrs before work :poke:

Actually feeling pretty good right now, but again I'm still under a day getting the shot. We shall see around  3 or 4 this morning.  I'm also off Friday night so that helps. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

There's one source of problems.  Windows 10 likes to have closer to a minimum of 8GB of RAM to work with.  Sure, the official specs say 1GB or more as minimum, and many websites will say 4GB is sufficient, but less than 8GB and it tends to have to rely heavily on whatever hard drive you have.

If possible, when sourcing a replacement/new laptop I'd recommend going for 16GB of RAM if it isn't too much more, as it provides a lot more breathing room.

Sometimes with older Machines you can find a company replacing pcs with the same memory and the IT guys will give you the sticks for a nice lunch.  Ist how my scrap machine got 16gb.  Win 10 is a serious memory hog and it gets worse the longer it runs.  I really was serious about reinstalling windows of you cam, you'll see am immediate improvement!

In other news, got my first PD1 immunotherapy treatment on Tuesday.  Now I'm just waiting to see what presents the side-effects fairy brings!!  Regardless the treatment has a pretty good response so here's hoping for the best!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Also, found out yesterday that we don't actually own part of the yard that we thought was our responsibility so it doesn't need done.

Hmm... adverse possession? 

6 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

And there it is - Sting of the Black Scorpion...  Good to know. :rolleyes:

I'm not opposed to tv shows based off of movies, but it's generally hard to find a show starring the same character as the film that has a lead actor good enough to make the character their own while also remaining true to the original actor's work.

Stargate: SG1 did well. O'Neill was taken in a very different direction, but Jackson was played so close to the original that my sister didn't realise at first it was a different actor.

• Like 5

Windows 10 is the bane of my work life. We're currently working on bargain bin laptops with 4gb of RAM that have to run Windows 10 and 8 zillion other law-mandated programs including the most ridiculous encryptions imaginable all at the same time while interfacing with the Master File one command line at a time.

That's what makes our system secure, btw. Nobody hacks in punch cards anymore.

You laugh but I know the forms to get access to the microfilms. I know where the salt mines are.

• Like 12