Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Excuse me, but I think you meant "Better Portland." :devil:

In other news, it is my mother's birthday, so I did my duty and called her, talking for an hour. Sounds like she's going to finally get rid of her land line. She's had a cellphone longer than I have. :ph34r:

And it looks like we're all having interesting, weird, or scary dreams. I will not speak the name of what I think is causing it but you should be able to guess: :;,;:

Do you all want more random pictures? I've got a couple hundred thousand (of course many of them can't be shared here because of language or "adult things.")

Most of my scary dreams have gone away. ::):

Being married really REALLY helped with that.

Most of the time, when I'm complaining about Grump, I'm really boasting. ::P: 

And I LOVE my purple crushed velvet riding hat with motoring goggles. :lol:

Need a steampunk dinner WICKED, right now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I was the first to hear it a few days ago, but now it's been made official: my friend will be closing her FLGS on June 6th. There's a lot to process right now.

Ouch, sorry to hear such, doubly so all the work they've put in over the past two years... 

• Like 6
26 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I was the first to hear it a few days ago, but now it's been made official: my friend will be closing her FLGS on June 6th. There's a lot to process right now.

Is it the only FLGS near you?  Out of curiosity, do you know why it's closing?

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ouch, sorry to hear such, doubly so all the work they've put in over the past two years... 

2 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Is it the only FLGS near you?  Out of curiosity, do you know why it's closing?

July 1st would have been their 4th anniversary, it's hard to believe how much work we had put into the place. As for the reason why, my friend has been juggling the finances ever since COVID hit and has been able to stay open this long. Her lease is up in the middle of June, and she just settled a lawsuit with an insurance company so she can pay off her debts. It sucks that she's closing, but the timing is right and once the economy picks up again she'll be able start up a business again with a bank without a bankruptcy hanging over her head.

And yes, the next nearest FLGS is 2 hours away, so there's no convenient place to play. We live in a very rural area so this was the one place where all of us geeks could hang out and feel like we belonged. I'll be helping them with the transition during this time, and her husband and I will be discussing where we can host small M:tG games and our board game nights as well when things begin to open up. It won't be easy, but I'm going to try to make sure that our community that we created won't just be getting together on just Discord, that we can still get together in some way.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yeah, a friend of mine and his wife had saved for years to open a LGS and Covid knocked them out.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 16

I'm kinda shocked that my FLGS (Prosoul Games) hasn't shut down due to COVID. Thou, the owners are smart & they've tried to adapt to whatever is sent our way.

• Like 10

I know what it is to live without a FLGS for years. It sucks. The closest I recently had was a two hour drive away, and it closed down long before the pandemic hit.

But with my move to a new city two weeks ago, I found a new one (Kingdom Titans) that is amazingly well stocked in miniature related stuff. They carry Vallejo, Green Stuff World, SC75, Iwata, etc. locally, in Canada, and at very competitive prices (not like those you find on Amazon)! I stocked up in GSW white, grey and black matte primer. Though because of Covid, there aren't any current activities, but painting events and classes were a thing, and they want to try Adventure League once things go back to normal.

And striking up a conversation with one of the staff, I quickly discovered I have a work colleague from another department that's also in the hobby. Though since we all work from home at this time, I haven't met him in person, I'm just aware of his name.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 16

Ten hour shifts are going to take a little getting used to, but having 3 days off should be worth it. I can actually get business things done without missing a days pay. I just have to remember to do meal prep ahead of time.

• Like 16