Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

6 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

not entirely a rant, but it gets a little ranty, and for me, long-winded...

You were a lot nicer in your not-rant than I'd of been about that second guy, lol.

26 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:
34 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm really not a fan of pushy car salesmen.

FIFY.

Introverts get it; even when we do need one.

Fair point.  Last car we bought wasn't so bad, I think the salesperson knew after the first few minutes of talking to us that she should just get out of our way and let the car sell itself to us, and just hang out to answer questions.  Probably won us as repeat customers that way.

• Like 12
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 pages left on my screen, and it's time to start thinking about naming the next thread.

Post your suggestions, but please make sure "#XVIII" is included somewhere in the post since that's going to be my search term.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

We actually had an extremely pushy salesman trying to sell us cars when we were at the dealership to see if they could figure out why our minivan's transmission was doing weird things. He trailed along in our wake both into and out of the building and followed us almost back to our car, gabbling at us the whole time. I finally took his card to make him shut up, and when that didn't work, I got quite snappish with him, and when THAT didn't work, simply turned on my heel in the middle of his word waterfall and left. He practically reeked of desperation, and while I get things are tough for commission salespeople right now, dude should have used the ears on his head when we said "We literally just bought a building WE ARE NOT READY," and the eyes in his face to see we have two well-cared for older vehicles i.e. these are not customers who are likely to rush into a purchase. 

Having done a bit of sales myself, I do have a bit of sympathy, but I also have a lower tolerance for bad sales tactics. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
22 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

looks like we're all having interesting, weird, or scary dreams

On 5/2/2021 at 9:27 AM, Inarah said:

I dreamt of a strange, profane altar and a hazy gargantuan figure on the horizon with wings that reached into the sky.

That sounds like an album cover Inarah. 

I had some bizarre/freakish ones a few days ago. But today the trend improved: 

I was in a hotel. It was an upscale sorta place. I was in a lobby, or lounge, or the restaurant area — some place with chairs and small tables. Beverages were being served; there may have been snacks. 

There were lots of books on the little tables. There was a Bookfest or a Bookfair going on. And guests were invited to examine and take any titles they liked. The books were all paperbacks but of several sizes. Many were illustrated and there was me happily rummaging through books, deciding which would become mine. 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

After I woke up I made myself some eggs and toast. It’s been a decent day so far. 

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

You were a lot nicer in your not-rant than I'd of been about that second guy, lol.

Fair point.  Last car we bought wasn't so bad, I think the salesperson knew after the first few minutes of talking to us that she should just get out of our way and let the car sell itself to us, and just hang out to answer questions.  Probably won us as repeat customers that way.

I.. might have been less charitable had I not had a three hour car ride to get most of the vitriol out of my system.

I really was not amused; Subaru Guy was not reading the room at /all/, and I'm pretty sure we were both bristling a little by the time we left the dealership. 

Ah, well; we were looking for reasons to shorten the list further, and that counted. Going through the new information and double-checking it against a couple of new sources just put the nails in. 

I'm sort of looking forward to tomorrow, even though the bit where we're gonna be on the road for half of forever, and I'm not actually going to get to drive it (yet), because HECK CITY DRIVING ... *sigh* Seattle... Seattle is a *redacted* hillside disaster. I really don't like city driving; and I've done more of it than I like to think about. ^^;

It's mostly an anxiety thing; I can do it, but it's generally better for my stress levels if I /don't/. The handful of times I haven't been able to get out of it, I've been deeply grateful for my driving gloves.  

I cannot more strongly recommend taking a couple of weeks to do some deep research into the car (or truck) you want, and the options you're interested in. Every time we haven't done that (once!), we ended up not entirely happy. Mind, I wouldn't actually trade Grendel, for all the trouble she's been, but dang if we couldn't have side-stepped some epic problems if we had done some actual research before sniffing around in person.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Neither am I.  An entire group of dealerships here in town is on my "never ever" list because of what they did.  I was looking at a vehicle, specifically stated I wanted a standard transmission.  They tried to force automatic on me.  Sales guy eventually relents and says they'll start working on finding one, shouldn't be too hard given their dealer network. 

They start work on get financing pre-sorted, so I know about rates and whatnot.  Financing needs a certain piece of paper from work, which after a quick call, I find out would take two business days to acquire.  This information is included in my file, they say see you in two days. 

Next day at 8am, my phone rings.  To keep it relatively short, I had a stupidly busy day at work that day (I wound up getting home three and a half hours later, plus wound up having my gps flagged by Montreal, to which boss laughed because they flagged me for "misuse of vehicle in off hours when I was delivering to a customer), and they rang my personal phone 27 times, plus another three on my work phone.  I didn't answer any of the personal ones, since I was working. 

They literally had every other person in the finance department PLUS the sales department call me.  My poor finance person (who had actually read things, and so had sent me an email the morning of the second business day) wound up getting a two page long email that was moderately ranty, and could be easily summarized as "no, I'm not getting the vehicle anymore, and any and all permission for your company to contact me is revoked.  Thanks for being the only one in the company to actually pay attention to the fact HR needed two business days to get that letter, but the harassment from the sales team (and other finance members) is behaviour for a company I cannot condone"

~~~

I used to have a test for salespeople.  When they asked what I wanted, I would outright say "I greatly prefer stick shift, but I suppose if I haaaaad to, I might consider an automatic".  Now, I'd make sure to really enunciate my frustration through the bit about an automatic, essentially hinting that no, I hate automatics.  I'd mainly do such to see how they'd go, simply because I wanted to test whether it was just the sale they cared about, or if they actually wanted to make sure I left with all the boxes ticked off. 

I say used to because 99% of the salespeople I tried this on would pretty much be in one ear out the other, because they themselves preferred automatic and are of the belief they're superior for city driving.  One guy called me out - one.  Said it wasn't a fair question because if you missed the nuances, you're firing a loaded question where the sales guy will always make sure to have 1-2 automatic options on the table.  He then proceeded to ask me my reasons for such, and then went "yeah, we aren't even going to look at automatics for you, just don't come back I ntwo weeks complaining about having to shift - which I suspect you won't" 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with their reasoning behind why automatics are less of a hassle in city driving (no need to constantly shift, especially in rush hour traffic), but I also rather like autocross and I'd prefer not to take that instant 2-3 second hit to times.  I also just don't like how automatics won't always stay in a gear when doing something like going up a hill.  They're a lot better than they used to be, but with my preferences in driving they aren't my cup of tea. 

Really wish I had been able to afford that car though, that Scion FR-S would have been nice.  Then again, it would have also caused some serious strain on my finances, so I'm glad I didn't do that, and it wound up causing a snowball effect to help fix various things. 

• Like 12