Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

What Happened Wednesday for May 5th:

  • 1260 – Kublai Khan became ruler of the Mongol Empire.

  • 1809 – Mary Kies became the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weaving straw with silk and thread.

  • 1973 – Secretariat won the 1973 Kentucky Derby in 1:59 2⁄5, an as-yet unbeaten record.

 

I like to add

 

  • 1945 The Netherlands are liberated from the Nazi Occupation.

Today is Liberation Day.

Yesterday we remembered the Fallen

 

Also..on a personal note, my mother passed away on May 5th 2007...

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

This one is clearly speaking to @WhiteWulfe:

 

image.thumb.png.f5a2b09069dc86c2dda84db6111dc9c9.png

Yup, sounds about right, although thankfully my collection is nowhere near as large as a lot involved in the hobby. I have a reasonably ratio of completed to waiting to be started kits. 

 

Probably helps that I find most of the Earth forces stuff to be not all that interesting - I love the curves, the spikes, the ~menace~ that the Zeon designs have, whereas the Earth ones tend to be...  Well, bland by comparison.  Probably has to do with my love of that monoeye, and their use of axes... 

 

It probably also rather helps that I quickly fell in love with the larger scale of the Master Grade kits because of their scale making their size a little easier to work with, the various intricate gimmicks, and how a kit generally takes a while to be built up. 

 

I swear resin conversion kits had no impact on how I decided on things, although... Yeah, they do have a decent influence.  I could probably get another ten kits with resin, but I do suspect I'm going to start getting more supplies to just bash up my own work, especially since sheets of styrene from Plastruct aren't that expensive at all. 

 

But yeah, if I had the cash, certain kits I wanted were actually in stock, and the shelves, I do suspect I'd have a full collection of the kits from Gundam:The Origin as well as a good amount of the Real Grade kits, and yeah, probably even 3-5 perfect grade kits in the works (three of them being Zaku II's, because I love the SH Studios conversion kits, and want a Gouf Flight Type, a regular Gouf, and the Shin Matsinaga kit). 

 

...If I had that kind of cash I'd have to bite the bullet of some words I've said recently though, which were to some friends playfully saying "get me another boom arm and the much sturdier 6' workbench I want and we'll seriously talk".  Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of streaming, but it also scares the crap out of me. 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

I like to add

 

  • 1945 The Netherlands are liberated from the Nazi Occupation.

Today is Liberation Day.

Yesterday we remembered the Fallen

 

Also..on a personal note, my mother passed away on May 5th 2007...

I can relate.  Let us remember the good times.

 

I lost my father on May 5th, 1990.  Medical Misadventure subsequent to a heart attack.

GEM

 

  • Sad 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Humansquish said:

 

Good on your husband for letting your daughter take a gift that was clearly meant for him. :lol:

You say that in jest, but Hubby has to defend his plushie collection from the little monster on a regular basis :lol:

 

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

The website made me confirm that I was over 18 because the image contained “erotic” imagery. :lol:
 

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

This one is clearly speaking to @WhiteWulfe:

 

image.thumb.png.f5a2b09069dc86c2dda84db6111dc9c9.png

Given the last panel, I think that’s relevant to ALL of us :lol:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 10
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, took a bit to get caught up.  I need to stop not-reading the forums on the weekends......

 

So my back has been awesome for a long time.  And I've been having yet more issues with nerve pain in my left leg for....3+ months now?  
Got in to have an MRI on Friday (boy that tube is not overly big, is it?) and the doctor's office called yesterday to book an in-person appointment today. (Bad sign right off, since almost nothing is done in-person these days.)

As expected my back has deteriorated of the last decade or so.  Stenosis is to the point where I have a shiny referral to a back surgeon.

Not the best news but not unexpected (my dad had severe stenosis causing permanent nerve damage and now walks with a walker) so I'm happy that, if it has to get taken care of, we get it done as early as possible to avoid what dad went through.

I wonder if I can get a two for one special and get him to look at my neck too?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Wow, took a bit to get caught up.  I need to stop not-reading the forums on the weekends......

 

So my back has been awesome for a long time.  And I've been having yet more issues with nerve pain in my left leg for....3+ months now?  
Got in to have an MRI on Friday (boy that tube is not overly big, is it?) and the doctor's office called yesterday to book an in-person appointment today. (Bad sign right off, since almost nothing is done in-person these days.)

As expected my back has deteriorated of the last decade or so.  Stenosis is to the point where I have a shiny referral to a back surgeon.

Not the best news but not unexpected (my dad had severe stenosis causing permanent nerve damage and now walks with a walker) so I'm happy that, if it has to get taken care of, we get it done as early as possible to avoid what dad went through.

I wonder if I can get a two for one special and get him to look at my neck too?

Good Luck on your upcoming surgery/ies.

 

They can't get me in one of those things unless they knock me out.  Claustrophobia causes panic and my Hyperacusis puts me in a murderous rage from the noise.  Then the migraine hits.

GEM

  • Sad 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Good Luck on your upcoming surgery/ies.

 

They can't get me in one of those things unless they knock me out.  Claustrophobia causes panic and my Hyperacusis puts me in a murderous rage from the noise.  Then the migraine hits.

GEM

Yeah, I found it very confining (I'm not a small lad) but I'm not Claustrophobic so it was bearable (I'm not sure how back it would be if they were doing my neck though....my head would be way further in then......).  The noise was pretty loud, but I've been to a number of metal concerts.  Needed more bass though :)
But anyone with noise sensitivity would not enjoy that at all.  So have both is most unfortunate.

My biggest problem was the staying on one spot part.  With my back the nerve pain started after about 10 minutes of not being able to move my back/hips/legs. By the end it was getting really unpleasant.

 

  • Sad 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Good Luck on your upcoming surgery/ies.

 

They can't get me in one of those things unless they knock me out.  Claustrophobia causes panic and my Hyperacusis puts me in a murderous rage from the noise.  Then the migraine hits.

GEM

Though I'm not claustrophobic, they are not a cozy environment. The stretcher part is not particularly comfortable, and they're surprisingly loud, even with hearing protection.

 

Because of the smooth, curved uniform surface, my eyes just wouldn't focus properly and it was driving me nuts. A small marking anywhere on the surface would've been appreciated.

 

At least they got good images of my heart.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Yeah, I found it very confining (I'm not a small lad) but I'm not Claustrophobic so it was bearable (I'm not sure how back it would be if they were doing my neck though....my head would be way further in then......).  The noise was pretty loud, but I've been to a number of metal concerts.  Needed more bass though :)
But anyone with noise sensitivity would not enjoy that at all.  So have both is most unfortunate.

My biggest problem was the staying on one spot part.  With my back the nerve pain started after about 10 minutes of not being able to move my back/hips/legs. By the end it was getting really unpleasant.

 

I've had the staying in one place problem too.  Generally when being prepped they have used foam blocks and tape to immobilize the area to be studied.  Not sure how that would work out for a full back/spine MRI.

Being knocked out for an MRI isn't pleasant either, but it beats the alternative.  They do a simultaneous injection on each side right over the kidneys which is immediately followed by the sensation of strong acid surging through your veins.  When it gets to the head you [thankfully] go unconscious.  It's tricky to get the dose right as I've come to near the end of an MRI and it has taken all of my will power to not start thrashing about from the noise.

The after effects aren't pleasant either, as you feel like you have been beaten all over.

GEM

  • Sad 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump and BD have three days apart too.

My son and I are two days apart. And then I went and did the dumb thing of giving him the traditional family first name.  We have different middle names, but it's still alarming how many people and databases get us confused. 

OTOH, I told him that there is probably no way he'll ever be able to hide any outstanding warrants from me or his grandfather. 
 

26 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Given the last panel, I think that’s relevant to ALL of us :lol:

Where do I report that cartoon? I feel personally attacked. :lol:


Just got off the phone with a woman who called in wanting to know where to plug her new internet into her dial up modem

  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I can relate.  Let us remember the good times.

 

I lost my father on May 5th, 1990.  Medical Misadventure subsequent to a heart attack.

GEM

 

 

Thanks

Even after all this time it still hurts.

My father passed away in 2011 four years after my mother.

You can relate more than you think, in my mother's case there was also a "medical misadventure"..

 

I agree, remember the good times, but sometimes it still gets me.

 

@Jasper_the_2nd Good luck with the upcoming surgery.

Hope all goes well and that it really helps you.

 

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Got in to have an MRI on Friday (boy that tube is not overly big, is it?)

Nope, they definitely aren't, that's for sure.  I was given instructions to close my eyes when they put me in for my shoulder when they suspected a torn rotator cuff (but it was actually a massive deep tissue knot that wouldn't let go).  Was not allowed to take painkillers beforehand, so that alone was rough, and was even rougher when they strapped the shoulder down.

 

Kept my eyes closed most of the time and just focused on relaxing.  Opened my eyes once and went "yup, that's a wall right there next to my face" and closed my eyes.  I'm typically not claustrophobic, but I can see why such would cause issues for many.  Biggest problem for me though was about four or five minutes in my shoulder started involuntarily spasming, which meant they had to reimage a few times, but after the first time once they realized it wasn't a voluntary response, the second person talked me into doing something - I think it was tell a story, and somehow that managed to get the spasms to die down at least somewhat.

 

Was so a weird feeling when they unstrapped me and we all got to watch my left arm spasm for several seconds until it settled down...

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Nope, they definitely aren't, that's for sure.  I was given instructions to close my eyes when they put me in for my shoulder when they suspected a torn rotator cuff (but it was actually a massive deep tissue knot that wouldn't let go).  Was not allowed to take painkillers beforehand, so that alone was rough, and was even rougher when they strapped the shoulder down.

 

Kept my eyes closed most of the time and just focused on relaxing.  Opened my eyes once and went "yup, that's a wall right there next to my face" and closed my eyes.  I'm typically not claustrophobic, but I can see why such would cause issues for many.  Biggest problem for me though was about four or five minutes in my shoulder started involuntarily spasming, which meant they had to reimage a few times, but after the first time once they realized it wasn't a voluntary response, the second person talked me into doing something - I think it was tell a story, and somehow that managed to get the spasms to die down at least somewhat.

 

Was so a weird feeling when they unstrapped me and we all got to watch my left arm spasm for several seconds until it settled down...

I never used to mind the MRI's (Ive had 4, kidney, brain, back and neck.) but then i also voluntarily climbed into a boiler casing to evaluate tube corrosion.

 

Now I am sort of worried if I will fit.  my body is no longer capable of laying flat and since what they want is in the front of my face (the pitutary gland) I am sort of curious about how that is supposed to work.  I do tend to close my eyes and doze off when i am in there though.  the noise doesnt bother me and i find the absolute isolation... restful. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...