Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp. Guess I'm heading to church tonight. Will be my first public gathering in over a year. I am... less than enthusiastic about ending my isolation. But. :unsure:

Wish me luck!

• Like 12
3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

As someone who deals with medical records, I can confirm that situations like this tend to cause both computers and humans to trip up sometimes. If the name is the same, I look at date of birth next, followed by other demographics to hopefully figure out which human this record belongs to. Computers, not being as good at this type of pattern recognition, will sometimes de-duplicate (merge) records that it thinks are for the same person. They are...not always correct....

Twins etc. can also cause confusion. We once had a set of adult twins with the same address, phone number, last name AND workplace, with first names only one letter off. THAT took some time to sort out. <_<

Common names can cause issues too. For example, our area has a very large Hispanic population. If you're trying to find a test result for a "Maria Gomez" you'd better bring me a whole lot of other info, or I won't be able to sort through the thousands of other Maria Gomez's to find the one you're interested in. 

Fun with records and data entry! :winkthumbs:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

My mother went through her own family name ordeal when I was born with a c-section.

She and my dad have the same family name. They're five times removed, so not much of a story. And back then, the wife taking the husband's name was still standard.

However, my mother's brother was a doctor at the hospital I was born in. And the staff knew they were related. But in their mind, if she had the same name as the doctor, that means it's her maiden name, therefore... an unwed mother (oh that poor doctor, to be related to such a hussie). Never mind that my parents were already married for four years, but dad couldn't be there for the birth/surgery (70s c-sections were brutal).

Apparently there were some very unprofessional comments when my mother was under anesthesia. My mother was not amused when she learned of it. And when my dad was able to visit the nursery and asked if that was the "family name's" baby, the staff just said "yes" without even considering he'd be the father.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Welp. Guess I'm heading to church tonight. Will be my first public gathering in over a year. I am... less than enthusiastic about ending my isolation. But. :unsure:

Wish me luck!

Remember to wear pants! ::D:

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Sad Face for the fact that this is not just a relevant comment but a reminder that needs to be made.

Such are the times we live in.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like to add

• 1945 The Netherlands are liberated from the Nazi Occupation.

Today is Liberation Day.

Yesterday we remembered the Fallen

Also..on a personal note, my mother passed away on May 5th 2007...

I should know the first - considering that my paternal grandparents lived through it

On the other, my condolences (and by weird coincidence my mother passed away on May 5th 2009)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 5/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, PaganMegan said:

I just had my 2nd shot.

Mum and Grump are fully immunized.

Tomorrow we ARE having Mum over for lamb and Heroquest. I've MISSED having Mum over for dinner.

Randomness XVIII: Please Stand By.

We startes watching Wandavision. Grump caught on faster than I did about SPOILERS!

His brain is different. I FEEL for Wanda, I do. ::P:

How did I end up Zargon?

Again?

We are using the original minis, but the maps are the redone ones from Heroic Maps.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7
4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Computers, not being as good at this type of pattern recognition, will sometimes de-duplicate (merge) records that it thinks are for the same person. They are...not always correct....

Don't I know it

One of my jobs has been working with a system designed for exactly this purpose - automatically de-duplicating records for people, and even with an 'uncertain' classification which dumps records into a system for manual matching we still end up with quite a number of bad merges. Luckily they're mostly records for historical personages so it isn't critical

• Like 8
55 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

This is no joke only the second time I've worn long pants this year. :winkthumbs:

• Like 9
5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Just got off the phone with a woman who called in wanting to know where to plug her new internet into her dial up modem

Did you tell her that step #1 is) Buy a used DeLorean ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Good luck with the medical stuffs, @Jasper_the_2nd!

RE: MRI machines: I'm not claustrophobic, so it doesn't bother me to much. I tend to go to sleep in them. It always weirds out the operator. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, ratsmitglied said:

Don't I know it

One of my jobs has been working with a system designed for exactly this purpose - automatically de-duplicating records for people, and even with an 'uncertain' classification which dumps records into a system for manual matching we still end up with quite a number of bad merges. Luckily they're mostly records for historical personages so it isn't critical

We had a small handful of Covid vaccination records we were trying to sort out, since they seemed to have been given to very young children. Nope , turns out they were all bad merges. Same with an individual who appeared to have gotten all 3 vaccines. 

Luckily we still keep a lot of paper records (which we then enter into our systems), so at least the data team minions (of which I am one) get the fun of digging through boxes of paper when the higher-ups get panicky. And thanks to us minions, they are very organized boxes, so it's not usually too difficult to find what is needed. 

This came very much in handy when about a dozen records needed to be pulled to verify whether our county would be pushed back a phase earlier this week. Took less than an hour to locate all of them. 

#victorypose

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 15

Last month while going through stuff from the move, found my journal from 7 years ago. Since then we have lost all 4 parents and my wife's brother. We were truly blessed to have our folks as long as we did. We lost my BiL way too soon.

• Sad 9

Update: Such coof. Very sneeze. Much handshake.

E0033089-8031-4832-945A-0729242E586E.jpeg.3da5cdb60df5fac2b19bd0ec4283221c.jpeg

Ugh. I dunno how y'all go out and go to work every day and broccoli. Whole time I was sitting there trying to convince myself everything was all good . Total cope. I've grown too (fat and) mentally weak to live.

Edited by Marvin
  • Sad 10