Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

32 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

My son and I are two days apart. And then I went and did the dumb thing of giving him the traditional family first name.  We have different middle names, but it's still alarming how many people and databases get us confused. 

As someone who deals with medical records, I can confirm that situations like this tend to cause both computers and humans to trip up sometimes. If the name is the same, I look at date of birth next, followed by other demographics to hopefully figure out which human this record belongs to. Computers, not being as good at this type of pattern recognition, will sometimes de-duplicate (merge) records that it thinks are for the same person. They are...not always correct....

Twins etc. can also cause confusion. We once had a set of adult twins with the same address, phone number, last name AND workplace, with first names only one letter off. THAT took some time to sort out. <_<

Common names can cause issues too. For example, our area has a very large Hispanic population. If you're trying to find a test result for a "Maria Gomez" you'd better bring me a whole lot of other info, or I won't be able to sort through the thousands of other Maria Gomez's to find the one you're interested in. 

Fun with records and data entry! :winkthumbs:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I never used to mind the MRI's (Ive had 4, kidney, brain, back and neck.) but then i also voluntarily climbed into a boiler casing to evaluate tube corrosion.

Now I am sort of worried if I will fit.  my body is no longer capable of laying flat and since what they want is in the front of my face (the pitutary gland) I am sort of curious about how that is supposed to work.  I do tend to close my eyes and doze off when i am in there though.  the noise doesnt bother me and i find the absolute isolation... restful. 

Oh, other than the shoulder I didn't really mind it.  First 4-5 minutes was generally relaxing, and the machine's noises FASCINATED me...  But I'm also an audio guy, and on my wishlist this year is a $400 microphone with field recording stuff (Deity V-Mic D3 Pro Field Kit if curious) ~plus~ a field recorder, because found sounds absolutely fascinate me.  Especially when you then garble the living daylights out of them through various other filters! >.>;;;;

EDIT: Now I'm confused.  I got a notice that Pezler mentioned me in a post...  But... The post isn't here...?

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6
15 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

As someone who deals with medical records, I can confirm that situations like this tend to cause both computers and humans to trip up sometimes. If the name is the same, I look at date of birth next, followed by other demographics to hopefully figure out which human this record belongs to. Computers, not being as good at this type of pattern recognition, will sometimes de-duplicate (merge) records that it thinks are for the same person. They are...not always correct....

Twins etc. can also cause confusion. We once had a set of adult twins with the same address, phone number, last name AND workplace, with first names only one letter off. THAT took some time to sort out. <_<

Common names can cause issues too. For example, our area has a very large Hispanic population. If you're trying to find a test result for a "Maria Gomez" you'd better bring me a whole lot of other info, or I won't be able to sort through the thousands of other Maria Gomez's to find the one you're interested in. 

Huzzah! 

My father was a Junior and they didn't want to burden me with roman numerals so they took each grandfathers name when naming me.

Since my father and I shared the same first name it was a constant source of confusion until ten years after my father died.

GEM

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh, other than the shoulder I didn't really mind it.  First 4-5 minutes was generally relaxing, and the machine's noises FASCINATED me...  But I'm also an audio guy, and on my wishlist this year is a $400 microphone with field recording stuff (Deity V-Mic D3 Pro Field Kit if curious) ~plus~ a field recorder, because found sounds absolutely fascinate me.  Especially when you then garble the living daylights out of them through various other filters! >.>;;;;

EDIT: Now I'm confused.  I got a notice that Pezler mentioned me in a post...  But... The post isn't here...?

If I had to guess, I would say that it was removed by a mod. I did have a warning on it and spoilered to boot, but that may not have been enough.

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Computers, not being as good at this type of pattern recognition, will sometimes de-duplicate (merge) records that it thinks are for the same person. They are...not always correct....

This happened to my wife about 5 years after we got married. She and my unmarried cousin have birthdays a week apart (but 4 years difference in age), and the same first name, but different middle name. 

My cousin lived with my parents for a short time in the 80s, then bounced around the country for little over a decade before emigrating to South Africa in 2003.  In 2007, we bought my parents house from them.  Shortly there after, we confirmed the rumor about why my cousin had emigrated to South Africa as being true - fleeing creditors and collection agencies.   Some computer somewhere merged some records thanks to same first & last name, same birth month and same address, and the debt collection agencies pounced on my wife and I.  Had to get the state attorney general involved to get them to back off.  It really upset my wife because she had worked really hard to repair her credit after her ex-husband tanked it with a bankruptcy. 

33 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

In the 90s I had a co-worker in CA with the last name Rodriguez get picked up as a passenger during a traffic stop on an outstanding murder warrant for someone with the same first & last name, middle initial and birthday. 

The officers who detained him were pretty sure they had the wrong guy within a few minutes, but the seriousness of the charges meant they had to cross a lot of T's and dot a lot of I's before they let him go. 

He said it was the perfect ending to his friend's bachelor party. 

15 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

My father was a Junior and they didn't want to burden me with roman numerals so they took each grandfathers name when naming me.

Since my father and I shared the same first name it was a constant source of confusion until ten years after my father died.

GEM

That's the tradition in my family.  First son of the first son all have the same first name, but different middle names.  Six generations now. 

Funny thing is my dad and I rarely get mixed up - the one big event was that my parents mortgage ended up on my credit report for awhile.  I did a little bit with my grandfather as a teen/young adult because our middle initial was the same, but that was mostly teenage me getting offers to join AARP. 

• Like 10
23 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If I had to guess, I would say that it was removed by a mod. I did have a warning on it and spoilered to boot, but that may not have been enough.

Correct. 

MOD VOICE

Regarding profanity: Even if it is in a spoiler, if it would not be allowed in a typed reply, it is not allowed in an image.

/MOD VOICE

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
30 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Feel free to DM me a link if you want, I generally don't read that comic so trying to figure out what was hinted as is difficult.

...Doubly so with how the emails contain like two sentences and a link nowadays :P

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Kuroneko said:

I was going to post some wildlife pics from my actual camera, but I'm not feeling that great and I'm currently pinned down on the sofa by the feline overlords. So here's some random kitteh pics from the last week. Obviously my favorite is the last one :lol:

IMG_20210427_161513457.thumb.jpg.acb24af4d8f96a0417e1ecd0760cf4a9.jpg

IMG_20210505_183810973.thumb.jpg.cf76318e0d5a02bfbbe1c001d3b641e4.jpg

IMG_20210504_194621198.thumb.jpg.27c4083c275b5460c6dd1829cb27472a.jpg

Ah yes, good to see a member of the Polychromatic Brigade.::D:

• Haha 9

Welp. Guess I'm heading to church tonight. Will be my first public gathering in over a year. I am... less than enthusiastic about ending my isolation. But. :unsure:

Wish me luck!

• Like 12
3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

My mother went through her own family name ordeal when I was born with a c-section.

She and my dad have the same family name. They're five times removed, so not much of a story. And back then, the wife taking the husband's name was still standard.

However, my mother's brother was a doctor at the hospital I was born in. And the staff knew they were related. But in their mind, if she had the same name as the doctor, that means it's her maiden name, therefore... an unwed mother (oh that poor doctor, to be related to such a hussie). Never mind that my parents were already married for four years, but dad couldn't be there for the birth/surgery (70s c-sections were brutal).

Apparently there were some very unprofessional comments when my mother was under anesthesia. My mother was not amused when she learned of it. And when my dad was able to visit the nursery and asked if that was the "family name's" baby, the staff just said "yes" without even considering he'd be the father.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Welp. Guess I'm heading to church tonight. Will be my first public gathering in over a year. I am... less than enthusiastic about ending my isolation. But. :unsure:

Wish me luck!

Remember to wear pants! ::D:

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Remember to wear pants! ::D:

Sad Face for the fact that this is not just a relevant comment but a reminder that needs to be made.

Such are the times we live in.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like to add

• 1945 The Netherlands are liberated from the Nazi Occupation.

Today is Liberation Day.

Yesterday we remembered the Fallen

Also..on a personal note, my mother passed away on May 5th 2007...

I should know the first - considering that my paternal grandparents lived through it

On the other, my condolences (and by weird coincidence my mother passed away on May 5th 2009)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1