Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Want to be in bed, but I have a print going, and I want to be able to finish it and start the next before visiting the Land of Nod.

Lamb has been et, HeroQuest has been played, and drinks have been drunk. I was the designated sober person, until I got them home safely. (No one got drunk, drunk - I think they had something like two whiskey sours each - using Trader Joe's Jalapeno Limeade as the base.

Megan's mum and her husband were here - it had been almost a year since Brigid had seen her grandma in person. (There have been frequent phone calls - Brigid had not forgotten her grandma.) She had married George right after the quarantine began, so their social life has been constrained, along with everyone else's.

HeroQuest still holds up as a game, and I was pretty happy with the maps created by Heroic Maps for the various missions. We used the UK scenarios tonight - not quite the same as the US version. (So, I was Morcar, not Zardon....) But using the US rules.

image.thumb.png.2a4b5eb1e5934ac1e42ab94b4d88cc87.png

I think George was confused by the importance of this ritual for Megan's family. ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 8
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with your surgery, @Jasper_the_2nd. Hopefully this leads you to not only pain free painting sessions but to an overall healthier way of life.

Pretty good night at the FLGS, I got to meet the owner's new baby girl. She is a cutie. We were suppose to have 4 people tonight, but some reason 2 people didn't show (why, who knows but if I'm paying for a seat, then I'm gonna be there!!), so the owner was gonna jump in, but me & the player was just gonna call it for the night, as the owner would have needed to jump from table to register if someone came in. Luckily a new player showed up & wanted to learn/play the game so we had our min of 3 players to play!!

Due to WoTC lack of getting current Icewind Dale AL adventures out we went a different route tonight & played a older adventure, this one involved pirates, a captured well-to do, but wayward daughter & some sea/island adventuring.

Once again, the damage output of my pistol shined through. During the ship voyage we got caught in a storm & a water elemental attacked the ship & got on board. It engulfed the new guy (playing a pregen, LE dwarf paladin) & Dookie, my squirrel companion. Luckily Dookie is a construct, thus no worries about air, but the dwarf started drowning. He was able to push himself away from the elemental & did good damage. I got the kill shot on the elemental, but the new guy was able to secure a rope that had broke during the storm, so at least he was able to help out.

We had encounter with one of the natives & due to her having 5 (not 6, joke at the table tonight) eyes, & antlers, the cleric blasted her with sacred flame & did max damage! She ran away & a nasty creature dropped down on us. It was a Corpse Flower if you know your 5e creatures, this was a hefty encounter. The paladin took control of one of the zombies is spit out at us & I got the killshot on it with my gun doing 56 pts of damage by a crit shot & regular shot! Both of those were backed up by Branding Smite & my new feat, Piercer. We had to pause the game a bit while I figured out the damage done as the try to total it up was crazy! It ended up being 3d10+10 (crit shot & Piercer feat) d10 twice (re-rolled that one due to it was low & Piercer allows 1 re-roll) +5 & then 4d6 radiant damage due to Branding Smite. It's crazy what my pistol can do once I've got the right spells on it now. The paladin did cast Compelled Duel on it so that helped everyone in melee.

The big bad of the night was a creature called a Morkoth. It had the girl & was trying to cast nasty area spells on it but the cleric had Dispel Magic (he was only using 3rd level slots for that spell) good thing too!! The cleric did get taken over by the creature but not in a sense of a charm but a link of sorts. As I tried casting Heat Metal (I've had that spell forever, but thanks to the Icewind Dale adventures mostly being talking animal encounters, I've yet to use it. Due to the link with the cleric, I seared him instead. It was ok as the cleric tried to sacred flame the creature & instead he got me due to the link. After the initial round, I dropped the spell.

The new guy did ok in the final battle, but he did get hit with Evard's black tentacles (not testicles.....::P:) & was right in the middle of it, so it took him a bit to get to the creature that was casting spells to move about the battle. The final blow thou was a crit roll from Dookie & a max damage roll. That's twice, the squirrel has gotten the killshot on the big bad villain.

Overall a fun night that almost didn't happen. Also I have enough store points (you get points every time you participate in a store event) to get a premium set of dice (made of stone I think). I'll probably hang on to mine for now, but who knows.

Currently, browsin some D&D pdfs, all the while deciding if I wanna multi-class or not with my character. Thumper is in her large marshmallow form at my feet as well. Good way to end a day.

• Like 12

On MRIs...

My mother gets head MRIs due to jaw problems. She's also nearly deaf. She has had a long running issue with her MRIs where she falls asleep and moves and has to be called in to do another one. Then she falls asleep and moves and the cycle continues.

I've never had an MRI. Closest was an abdominal CT and that was fairly quick. Contrast makes you feel all warm. Otherwise it's been ultrasounds all the way.

• Like 9

Griped at people on the discord servers I'm on about my laptop being stick on limbo aka the FedEx hub in Fife, WA. Laptop was supposed to be here Monday. Said out for delivery, never showed up. That evening it listed it as pending and stayed that way for 2 1/2 days. By the Tim I was ready to throw a fit I checked tracking again and it should be here today (Thursday). I'd very much like my stuff now.

Other things that happened yesterday: got a killer migraine, had to listen to some of our trees get cut down because they posed a threat to the house. I think they only took down two and there is broccoli everywhere.

• Sad 9

Thursday Timeline Trivia for May 6th:

• 1889 – The Eiffel Tower was officially opened to the public at the Universal Exposition in Paris.

• 1915 – Babe Ruth, then a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, hit his first major league home run.

• 1954 – Roger Bannister became the first person to run a mile (1.6 km) in under four minutes (3:59.4) at age 25.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I had some weird dreams last night; something about having to go through boot camp again, but at my current age and the rank I retired as. It didn't really make a whole lot of sense.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
32 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I had some weird dreams last night; something about having to go through boot camp again, but at my current age and the rank I retired as. It didn't really make a whole lot of sense.

I dreamt that I woke up(getting a lot of those recently) and I had to catch all the sheep because the local golfers has gone through the pasture and left the gates open AGAIN. Except the 'sheep' were sheep sized chickens and I had to find the leader, heft it up on my shoulders and get the rest to follow me that way. Unfortunately the boss sheep/chicken looked exactly like all the rest and our cats(who were the size of sheepdogs) were refusing to do their assigned herding duties as they didn't want go out in the rain and wouldn't tell me which was the boss sheep as they were feeling disrespected.

I do not live on a farm, have chickens or have a golf course next door. 

I do have disobedient cats that probably feel disrespected though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 18
17 hours ago, kristof65 said:
22 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump and BD have three days apart too.

My son and I are two days apart. And then I went and did the dumb thing of giving him the traditional family first name.  We have different middle names, but it's still alarming how many people and databases get us confused. 

My Dad's birthday is three days after my sister's and six days before mine...

• Like 10
13 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

I should know the first - considering that my paternal grandparents lived through it

On the other, my condolences (and by weird coincidence my mother passed away on May 5th 2009)

Right back at you, of course it's been years.

I might say I'm over it, but this year it got to me.

We remember our Fallen during May 4th and Liberation day at May 5.

As it happened, I was a volunteer to remember the Fallen at a ceremony in 2007.

Next morning I got a call from the hospital with the bad news, then I got to drive to Rotterdam to bring my father the news and take him with me to the hospital to say goodby to my mother.

And now Mother's Day is coming up and maybe with all the restrictions this year, I dunno, I started thinking of my parents again.

Opened up the vault so to speak, not feeling too well about it all.

I remember when I rang the doorbell that morning my father saw me and shook his head, he knew I wouldn't drive 2 hours early morning just for fun.

Oh well, remember the good times indeed.

Work is slow today so I'm painting on the side, one of the benefits of working from home.

There are also downsides, like getting the feeling that I'm locked up like a caged animal who can go out for some air a few times a day but nothing more.

• Like 14
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Please!  Don't give my sub-conscious brain any ideas like that.

I'd need six months of remedial physical training just to get into shape enough to go through that again, plus bilateral knee and hip replacements, bilateral shoulder replacements, and a new left ankle.  "Uncle" would be loosing money on me.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

I remember dreaming last night. My brain seemed especially active. I usually don't recall any of my dreams, or having them. Most of the details fade even now, but at one point my buddy's parents lived next door in my parents' irl house, but they'd rented it out to an enormous wedding party, and I'd somehow accidentally saved the wedding and had been made a guest of some honor. The bride and her many conventionally attractive bridesmaids brought me in and made me take off my shoes to measure my feet so they could make sure they got me the right shoes for the ceremony. They were all very impressed with how big my feet were. I'm sure there's no psychological interpretation of this to be made. None whatsoever.

Anyway, then dream me went home and closed all the blinds and hung out with my mom whilst planning to skip the ceremony, because apparently whether sleeping or awake I still hate crowds. Good times.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Reading Starfinder, and trying not to panic about my final.

Starfinder is better than I expected, we've had it for years, but Grump ended up using straight up Pathfinder for his Darkjammer game.

I guess my experiences with PF2 left me expecting that Starfinder would suck, but there seems to be a distinct lack of suckage.

Not planning a campaign yet, but happy to say I am considering it.

Looks like it could be fun.

• Like 8

Today is a day off. I took the day off because I needed to drive my wife to and from a medical procedure. That's done, and we're back home. I could technically leave now and get to work in time to work a half day, (I did think about it) but I'm already off, so I'm just going to enjoy the day.

• Like 10

I'm also in the weird dream camp today!

We were at ReaperCon and folks were asking us why we got such a little booth in the corner. I explained that the horses couldn't stand the mosquitos.

The mosquitos were the size of a person's head. Why did I have horses at the con and why were they the only ones worried about the mosquitos?! :lol:

(There was quite a bit more, but since I woke up still tired, the dreams fade quickly)

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5
  • Haha 9
4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I've had similar dreams about having to go through boot camp again - at my current age, but various ranks.  They've been more frequent now that my son has his enlistment date. 

• Like 8