Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 minute ago, TGP said:

Bill by the minute; problem solved.

I just invoked a clause in my services provided contract that gives me the option to do just that. I'm going to bill them extra to deal with this woman, so they're either going to have to bill her, or not give me her calls. 

The company has a policy where they don't generally bill for service that takes less than 10-15 minutes - the thinking is that the time it takes everyone involved to do the billing costs more than the income generated.  Plus there is consideration for sales - we're more likely to not charge for service if a large parts or equipment sale can come out of it.  

There is a deadline coming up next year in Canada regarding mag stripe credit cards, and so every site that currently only takes mag stripe credit cards will have to upgrade to chip/tap readers in order to continue to accept credit cards.  Given how old her equipment is, she's looking at needing a $30k upgrade for that. She could get by with a $3k upgrade now, and a $29k upgrade next year. So I was being patient, knowing she's going to have to spend a substantial chunk of money anyway, but she's not getting it through her head. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 8

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Marvin said:

This is no joke only the second time I've worn long pants this year. :winkthumbs:

I love the original "Twilight Zone". One of the classics (okay, they're all classic, but most loved) has a little boy named Billy who has a toy phone he talks to his deceased grandmother on. When Billy has an accident, his parents are beside themselves. They bemoan all the things he will never do, including wearing long pants. Soda went out my nose the first time I watched that episode and they said that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hope all went well!

@haldir You thought you were smart to send out your agents, right?

Well we bribed them!!!

IMG-20210503-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210503-WA0004.jpg

Yah our agents are tiny & they are fast, but throw some food in front of them, they crack under pressure.

Must send Mhoreee!!!!!!

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Well, balls. I got the new laptop. It's amazing so far, runs like a charm. Only thing I forgot to check for before I ordered was an SD card reader, which it does not look like it has. I think I can get a pen drive that you can insert them into for pretty cheap though so not a huge deal. I will just really need to use this to edit photos.

Yep, you can get lots of different usb card readers in the $10-20 range (possibly cheaper, I'm in Canada after all).

• Like 9

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

There is a deadline coming up next year in Canada regarding mag stripe credit cards,

Wait... There are places you can go to that don't take chip?  Chip usage because common a decade ago in Canada, with tap becoming common 3.5-5 years depending on your bank... 

Most Canadians won't trust a place that makes you swipe, and some banks throw a fit if you do that.. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wait... There are places you can go to that don't take chip?  Chip usage because common a decade ago in Canada, with tap becoming common 3.5-5 years depending on your bank... 

Most Canadians won't trust a place that makes you swipe, and some banks throw a fit if you do that.. 

Yup. Car washes were slower to adopt to chip, mainly because it was hard to find chip readers that can handle the environment. The holdouts now are just cheap b.....ds.

This site is still on dial up, too. Or at least it was until a few months ago when they disconnected the phone line they didn't realize was processing their credit cards. I'll bet that by now, half the customers using credit cards there have figured out they're not being charged,  and are just racking up "free" car washes. 

It's only a few hours away from Edmonton if you feel like driving for a "free" car wash. I'll give you the address if you promise to slap some sense into the owner for me.

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

I realised in the morning I had lost my wallet, wrote a tough math exam, searched around in school for the wallet with no success, came home with a lot of anxiety regarding the wallet and the cards within. 

Then opened my laptop and saw an email saying someone had found it, I'll be able to collect it on Monday.

Phew. And it's not even 12 pm. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

It's only a few hours away from Edmonton if you feel like driving for a "free" car wash. I'll give you the address if you promise to slap some sense into the owner for me.

I dunno, I'd need a getaway vehicle....  Well, maybe just a vehicle in general. 

But yeah, wow.  That's one for the books - hey, let's disconnect this phone line that we totally don't need or have anything hooked up to, despite the fact we have a reminder email every month that heyyyy, you need to update your system asap or you won't get any money at all... 

Either that or they outright wanted to jump the shark and aha, now I'm not getting any money at all because dial up can't connect! 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

This site is still on dial up, too. Or at least it was until a few months ago when they disconnected the phone line they didn't realize was processing their credit cards. I'll bet that by now, half the customers using credit cards there have figured out they're not being charged,  and are just racking up "free" car washes. 

How much Canadian moolah is one car wash?

What is the markup on one wash?

How did they not go out of business when they left 3-8K dollars just sitting in a.. a... (server?) somewhere?

:huh::blink:

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

To be faaaaaair, I think car-wash season only lasts for, like, six weeks out of the year up there.

It depends.  You'd be amazed at how long the lineups can be in the middle of winter and it's just warm enough for the car washes to be open... 

• Like 8