Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, haldir said:

 

Yah our agents are tiny & they are fast, but throw some food in front of them, they crack under pressure.

 

Must send Mhoreee!!!!!!

 

WOOF HQ has a large stash of peanuts, walnuts and peanutbutter with insects and fruits in it especially for your agents. Do send them over, we can use the new double agents.

 

2 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

I realised in the morning I had lost my wallet, wrote a tough math exam, searched around in school for the wallet with no success, came home with a lot of anxiety regarding the wallet and the cards within. 

 

Then opened my laptop and saw an email saying someone had found it, I'll be able to collect it on Monday.

 

Phew. And it's not even 12 pm. 

 

Good to hear someone found it.

 

I'm prone to be a bit overprotective and trying to eliminate danger, so....ehh... if you don't mind.

 

Consider where you're going and who has your wallet, then think about taking a friend with you to collect it maybe?

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Good to hear someone found it.

 

I'm prone to be a bit overprotective and trying to eliminate danger, so....ehh... if you don't mind.

 

Consider where you're going and who has your wallet, then think about taking a friend with you to collect it maybe?

 

It's a safe place. I really do appreciate the advice though! 🙂

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Good to hear someone found it.

 

I'm prone to be a bit overprotective and trying to eliminate danger, so....ehh... if you don't mind.

 

Consider where you're going and who has your wallet, then think about taking a friend with you to collect it maybe?

Good thoughts @Glitterwolf maybe offer coffee or lunch for the return to give you control of the location.

 

Of they are just returning their lost property, I would reward Good behavior, either in coffee lunch or cash.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some stuff that happened on May 7th:

  • 1895 – In Saint Petersburg, Russian scientist Alexander Stepanovich Popov demonstrated to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society his invention: the Popov lightning detector, a primitive radio receiver.

  • 1952 – The concept of the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, was first published by Geoffrey Dummer.

  • 1986 – Canadian Patrick Morrow became the first person to climb each of the Seven Summits, the highest mountains on each of the seven "traditional" continents.*

*Due to disputes over where boundaries are between continents (namely Europe/Asia border and Australia mainland vs including all of Oceania) gives rise to different lists of mountain summits. Morrow is the first to complete the more challenging of the two most popular lists.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It depends.  You'd be amazed at how long the lineups can be in the middle of winter and it's just warm enough for the car washes to be open... 

Yeah, here it hits +1C and there are lineups out onto the street.

I don't think I've been through a car wash since I stopped doing rallycross (3 inches of mud covering the entire car and a forecast of -11C that night.....).

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:
6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It depends.  You'd be amazed at how long the lineups can be in the middle of winter and it's just warm enough for the car washes to be open... 

Yeah, here it hits +1C and there are lineups out onto the street.

I don't think I've been through a car wash since I stopped doing rallycross (3 inches of mud covering the entire car and a forecast of -11C that night.....).


Do you salt your roads to combat snow and ice build-up?  Is getting that corrosive grit off the vehicles a motivator?  Do car automated washes typically try to rinse the frame and underside clean?

 

(Down at my latitude the answers are: Rarely, Not really, Never)

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TGP said:


Do you salt your roads to combat snow and ice build-up?  Is getting that corrosive grit off the vehicles a motivator?  Do car automated washes typically try to rinse the frame and underside clean?

 

(Down at my latitude the answers are: Rarely, Not really, Never)

Salt in vast quantities (also some brining now, which is really unpleasant to get stuck behind).  I assume that is the motivator.  I'm not convinced it helps since you end up spraying diluted salt water everywhere with the car wash.  I don't do it and my vehicles have never seemed to rust any quicker.  A lost of folks also don't like how dirty the cars get with the road spray, and getting clothes dirty brushing against their cars.  But then they wait for a warm day, so there is a ton of road spray from melting snow, so I'm not sure how many minutes their cars are actually cleaner.....
And yes, at least with the more expensive packages, they usually do an underside spray as well.

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

I realised in the morning I had lost my wallet, wrote a tough math exam, searched around in school for the wallet with no success, came home with a lot of anxiety regarding the wallet and the cards within. 

 

Then opened my laptop and saw an email saying someone had found it, I'll be able to collect it on Monday.

 

Phew. And it's not even 12 pm. 

I'm glad it was found and recoverable. Hopefully things run more smoothly for you for a while :). 

 

 

This is  your daily reminder that you are good enough. 

 

I had a long conversation with the youngest niece last night. She is quite upset over the fact that I'm a cynical cranky old man. I told her that things have a way of looking a lot different from 22 than they do from 43.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TGP said:

How did they not go out of business when they left 3-8K dollars just sitting in a.. a... (server?) somewhere?

This particular car wash is part of a c-store/gas station, plus it takes cash, so they have other revenue streams. 

Most of the time when this happened with dial up systems, the site owners caught it within a month when they checked their bank statements. The worst I've seen were 18 months and 14 months. The systems don't hold transactions that long, so both those sites lost significant amounts of money.  Not surprisingly, both sites went out of business within a couple of years afterwards - but in both cases, there were other issues of mismanagement besides lost credit card revenue.   

 

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It depends.  You'd be amazed at how long the lineups can be in the middle of winter and it's just warm enough for the car washes to be open... 

^THIS^

In most places, winter is better for the car wash business than summer.   The ideal car wash weather is a day of heavy snow, followed by 3-5 days of sunshine.  

This is why Colorado and Utah are some of the best places to own a car wash, as that is their average winter weather. 
 

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Yeah, here it hits +1C and there are lineups out onto the street.

I don't think I've been through a car wash since I stopped doing rallycross (3 inches of mud covering the entire car and a forecast of -11C that night.....).

I really need to wash my cars more often than I do, but like many in the car wash service industry, I try to avoid visiting them when I'm not working. 
 

1 hour ago, TGP said:


Do you salt your roads to combat snow and ice build-up?  Is getting that corrosive grit off the vehicles a motivator?  Do car automated washes typically try to rinse the frame and underside clean?

Most of the automated car washes I'm familiar with do have underbody spray systems to try and wash that crud off. 
 

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Salt in vast quantities (also some brining now, which is really unpleasant to get stuck behind).  I assume that is the motivator.  I'm not convinced it helps since you end up spraying diluted salt water everywhere with the car wash.  I don't do it and my vehicles have never seemed to rust any quicker.  A lost of folks also don't like how dirty the cars get with the road spray, and getting clothes dirty brushing against their cars.  But then they wait for a warm day, so there is a ton of road spray from melting snow, so I'm not sure how many minutes their cars are actually cleaner.....

 

That crud will rust out vehicles sooner. It's something that is a lot more noticeable in rural areas, or anywhere people tend to keep their vehicles longer and wash them less often. 

If a car wash keeps their bays reasonably clean, then they're generally not spraying dirty water all over. They're designed to drain that water away.  Some washes will have reclaim systems, where they filter out as much as they can, but they will only use that water for the initial high power rinse cycle.  Later rinses will use fresh water, and the final rinse is often a spot free rinse of water that's been filtered through a high end reverse osmosis water filter system. 

Of course, that's for well maintained automatic washes like roll overs and tunnels.  With poorly maintained washes, and self serve, all bets are off.   With self serve, it not only depends on if the equipment is well maintained, but the user.  Most self serve systems these days offer the same spot free rinse as an option, but if the user only uses the high power rinse, they're not getting the benefit - and even less so if the high power rinse is using reclaim water. 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...