Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

MrBoot and I did our very first "you pick" at a local orchard for cherries on Saturday. 

We, um, got a leetle bit carried away (it's so much fun!). 

This is what 20 lbs of cherries looks like, lol:

20200620_225444.thumb.jpg.5bf0fb3d09d2dd7d2826f129a55477f0.jpg

:blink:

The yellow/red ones are Raniers (very sweet, definitely a snacking cherry). The two bowls of dark ones on the left are Bings (very tasty, with a bit of a tart snap to them; I plan to mostly use them for baking). And the two bowls on the right are Bentons (sort of in-between Bing and Rainer as far as sweetness, fairly mellow flavor, a bit firm; probably going to jam most of them). 

I only finished processing the last of them today (with significant help from MrBoot in pitting them). Since I've never been faced with several pounds of fresh cherries before, I decided to de-stem, de-pit, and freeze nearly all of them while I decide what to do with them all, lol. I did reserve most of the Raniers for nomming, as well as enough Bings to make a pie (I found a recipe that specifically calls for sweet cherries rather than sour or tart ones). I've never made a berry pie before, so this is going to be an adventure! ::D:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today is LadyC and my anniversary. 36 years and counting on her life sentence! We both took the day off, went shopping for stuff for the new house. Got new flatware, dishes and in the last week a new Kuerig coffeemaker, Crockpot Instant pot and a monster KitchenAid mixer/beater/giant machine thing. So all the older stuff is going into a garage sale in 3 weeks along with a ton of stuff that we are purging for the move in January. If any of you want any Star Wars novels, PM me as they are not making the cut.

• Like 20

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Well today is LadyC and my anniversary. 36 years and counting on her life sentence! We both took the day off, went shopping for stuff for the new house. Got new flatware, dishes and in the last week a new Kuerig coffeemaker, Crockpot Instant pot and a monster KitchenAid mixer/beater/giant machine thing. So all the older stuff is going into a garage sale in 3 weeks along with a ton of stuff that we are purging for the move in January. If any of you want any Star Wars novels, PM me as they are not making the cut.

Congrats!!!

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

All this anniversary talk reminds me our 12 year anniversary was almost a month ago :devil:

Then again, that's the agreed upon anniversary, because, well, neither of us remember the actual day.  *shrugs* We would have gone out to celebrate it this year, but things were still rather closed, and we were happy to just relax at home together ^_^

EDIT: Sadly, no KitchenAid stand mixer for us though.  Maybe I'll ask for one from my parents when they inevitably come along with the "whatcha want for Christmas" spiel... ::P:

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 12

MMMM. That all looks AMAZING!! It looks like you had a lot of fun too!

Real rainier cherries are my "true" favorite fruit, but any that we get down here were picked weeks and weeks ago....

So mangoes are my favorite fruit. :lol: (And I get to completely avoid all fake cherry candy and deathly sweet maraschino cherry gifts)

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@TGP get well soon!

@Unruly You definitely improved, we are our own worst critics, one look at those minis and you an see progress.

@TheAuldGrump Thingieverse stuff is cool  but check and recheck before printing, not all has been tested.

On Myminifactory there's a reasonably priced necromancer ship and there's a sale going on right now for pirate stuff, including a giant crab carrying a raft or a ship.

The one I am most considering has a printed model as their image - it has been printed successfully on an FDM printer. I'd link, but not sure about commerce rules in this regard.

The Auld Grump

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Staff meeting, undead awareness training (it's not just a body, it's your next partner), and an update on Torturing Prisoners Report that needs to be filed daily.

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the heart.

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Try to eat something- banana, rice, applesauce and toast are all good things to eat if you have low level gastroenteritis. 

Hope you feel better soon, and make sure you drink enough.  If you pinch the skin on the back of your hand and the skin doesn't spring back down immediately, then you're getting dehydrated. Small sips of water is easier for your body to absorb.

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

What Kuroneko said, plus stick to clear liquids -- water, apple juice, ginger ale, chicken broth.  Avoid coffee, orange juice, milk,  and alcohol.  Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you both. I implemented what I could. (Did not have bananas, applesauce or juice, ginger ale…)  No longer throwing up at least.

I got an interesting formula for homemade gatorade from a sibling:

2 parts water (distilled, filtered, or purified if available)

1 part fruit juice (pulp free is best)

pinch of salt

I have yet to try it. The only fruit juice I have on hand is grape. Where does Grape sit on the Apple-juice=Yes / Orange-juice=No scale?

• Like 8