Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

A lot can happen in 3+ somewhat years.

My girl will still be working then.

In the worst scenario I will have to stop buying minis and print and paint the hundreds of minis/3d files I have collected.

How in Earth will I survive?

And you will also be like:

185778787_292655805743358_6496822504435416385_n.thumb.jpg.d34e522570cfb680de97e4ed15895e06.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 16
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

and maybe when needed I might search for a part time job by that time.

It might be a good idea anyway, not just for the money but also to stay sharp and among people ( which sounds weird since right now I've been working from home for months).

You ever seen that movie The Full Monty? Or Magic Mike? Your glitter might come in handy after all... 💪😉

• Haha 11

Slept in a little this morning. I got much more and much better sleep last night. Eventually, checked my temperature last night and I was running a fever. It seems to have resolved itself overnight though. I got to talk to my mom last night. Not for very long but still got to talk to her which was nice.

I'm actually painting today. Haven't had much motivation as of late so I'm trying to do a bunch of stuff while I am up to it. I was supposed to have a phone appointment with my therapist today but she called me about 30 minutes before my appointment telling me she was at the vet with an emergency. We rescheduled for tomorrow. Hoping everything is okay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
23 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Slept in a little this morning. I got much more and much better sleep last night. Eventually, checked my temperature last night and I was running a fever. It seems to have resolved itself overnight though. I got to talk to my mom last night. Not for very long but still got to talk to her which was nice.

I'm actually painting today. Haven't had much motivation as of late so I'm trying to do a bunch of stuff while I am up to it. I was supposed to have a phone appointment with my therapist today but she called me about 30 minutes before my appointment telling me she was at the vet with an emergency. We rescheduled for tomorrow. Hoping everything is okay.

I help you hoping!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I had a really weird problem today. 

One of my favorite customers called with what seemed like a common and easily solved issue.  Only it wasn't. 

One of our devices kept refusing connections to it, both via our software and via it's web interface. The error messages were literally coming back as "refused connection."  I could reconfigure it using the configuration software and it passed all of the diagnostics tests, but it flat out kept refusing connections.  Rebooting it multiple times didn't change anything either. 

Just before I gave up and told the customer they'd have to buy a new one, I decided to see if I could remotely upgrade the firmware. I didn't expect that to work, but not only did take the upgrade, everything else started working again. 

12-13 years I've been working with this particular device and have dealt with literally hundreds, if not thousands of them. Never encountered this before - neither the problem/error message, nor the fact that the firmware upgrade fixed it.  

I'm still baffled as to what happened, yet grateful the fix turned out to be so easy. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Here's an interesting synopsis of the resin casting process, copied from the latest update on Broken Toad's Labyrinth/Dark Crystal  Kickstarter...

Spoiler

Hi Everyone

It has dawned on us that, despite having a lot of backers who are experienced model painters and builders, we also have a lot of backers who come from the Jim Henson fandom & collectables world who will have never purchased or experienced a resin model kit before. This is clearly a huge over sight on our part as these backers won't have any understanding of resin production or how we create these model kits, we'd like to apologise for this and put this right for you by giving you a little insight into our world and how we go about bringing these miniatures to life.

Firstly you need to know that resin model production is a process that is undertaken completely by hand, unlike some manufacturing processes, such as plastic injection molding, there are no automated machines that can do any of the work for us. This causes the work to be quite slow and very labour intensive, however the final product ends up being of much higher quality and detail than anything a machine can produce.

After the characters have been sculpted the first step in creating resin model kits is making the silicone molds, to do this the original sculpt has to be fully encased in liquid silicone so that all the details can be captured and ultimately replicated in the final casts. When your models arrive you will notice some parts have what appear to be little rods attached to them, when creating a mold the sculpt needs to effectively be suspended in mid air so that it can be fully surrounded by the silicone, to do this we build what is known as a sprue and those rods are part of that sprue. The sprue serves two purposes, it helps keep the model suspended in the silicone and also provides a way for the liquid resin to finds its way into the mold during casting. 

A sprued up sculpt tends to look something like this,

image.png.849d71e42e767ef79eb5c63782f21416.png

Sculpts that have been sprued up for mold making

Once the sculpts have been sprued up we need to build a box around them to hold the silicone in place, the silicone then needs to be weighed out, mixed and poured into it's mold box to cure.

image.png.0d574e8d85d62e23a495eec09b86089d.png

Molds after the silicone has been poured

At this stage the molds are left for 24 hours so that the silicone can cure, once the silicone has cured it is subjected to various heat treatments before it is considered fully cured and the mold is ready to be opened so we can remove the original part.

This next stage is probably the most time consuming part of the entire process, as you can see the silicone we use is solid and opaque in colour and the sculpt currently inside them needs to be removed. This is done by taking a very sharp scalpel blade and a very steady hand and cutting the sculpt free from the mold, we need to be so precise when doing this as any cuts we make will show as mold lines on the final cast and cuts made in the wrong place will result in poor quality casts, all of this is done while not being able to see the sculpt inside the mold. 

As you can imagine, this is a very time consuming process.

image.png.6ed9863e5e004cc4f5abd2c65f801628.png

A cured mold being cut open for the first time

At this stage of the process we now have a fully finished mold ready for casting, however silicone molds have quite a short working life as resin is notoriously harsh on them, we work on an average of 20 casts before a mold dies and has to be remade completely from scratch meaning, unfortunately, the mold making stage is an ongoing process.

However, with that said, we now have a mold that is ready for the casting stage of the process.

So, onto casting. 

To cast a model the mold first needs to be treated with a release agent before it is closed up and secured so that the two halves stay in place and don't shift during casting. The mold is then taken into our casting room and the Polyurethane resin is weighed out, mixed thoroughly and poured into the mold via the vents created by the sprue from earlier. Resin cures by exothermic reaction meaning once the two parts are mixed they react to each other by heating up, causing the molecules to change, drying and hardening the resin. This happens within a very short time frame so once the resin is mixed we need to act quickly. When the molds have been filled with resin we need to remove any air that has become trapped inside, if we don't remove this air the final cast may not be good enough to pass quality inspection and will need to be discarded, this is known as a 'miscast'. The first step in removing trapped air is to place the filled mold into our vacuum camber so that we can pull any trapped air from out of the mold, it is quite common to find that resin can't find it's way into very small parts of the mold, such as finger tips and weapon points, so we need to give it a hand with vacuum degassing by displacing that trapped air with resin. Once the molds have been vacuum degassed all of the trapped air will have been removed, however there will still be tiny air bubbles remaining within the resin itself that have been introduced when the resin was mixed, to remove these air bubbles the molds need to be placed into one of our pressure tanks, the tank is then filled with air which crushes the bubbles to microscopic levels. At this stage the mold is completely filled and is left in the pressure tank to fully cure so that the air bubbles cannot return, we then repeat this process and fill all of our pressure tanks with resin filled molds. We have ten pressure tanks in total and the process of filling them all takes around 2 hours, we do this four times a day.

image.png.a5478ef9f3b805f959379ffc7c2647ba.png

The pressure tanks within our casting room

Once the resin has had time to cure the molds can be removed from the tanks and the casts can be removed from the molds, this process is called 'demolding'. The demolding stage can take as long, if not longer, than the casting stage as the parts are very delicate at this point and it's very easy to damage either a cast part or a silicone mold if we are not careful. Any parts that are damaged or miscast are discarded and the remaining parts move on to the final stage of the process, the molds are then prepped and left ready for another round of casting. 

The final Stage of the production process is to inspect each part by eye to check for any defects or damage, we only want our customers to receive perfect models so any that don't pass this inspection are also discarded, the remaining parts are then cleaning and finished before being collected together and packaged up ready to send out to backers

I think that covers pretty much everything, I know this was a long read but I hope it has given you a little insight and a peek behind the curtain at what we do to produce resin model kits. Sadly BrokenToad isn't a huge company with a large factory, we are a small two man team and we take what we do very seriously because, ultimately, we believe this enables us to focus and produce the absolute best models we possibly can, and we only ever want our customers to receive the best quality models possible.

Neat stuff.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
25 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Funny-Memes---Funny-Animals-Memes---make-your-day.jpeg.4aa77ef6a6688b1875531e31b373c293.jpeg

It's more accurate than you think!!

Mr and Mrs Rumbeard destress time is actually going to the dog park Saturday mornings and watching all of the adorable puppers while we eat lunch together. :wub:

I should be 100% freaking out about all of the side effects of these 2 new meds but.

I had a couple drinks instead. :lol:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Some Timeline Trivia for Tuesday, May 11th:

• 868 – A copy of the Diamond Sutra was printed in China, making it the oldest known dated printed book.

• 1813 – William Lawson, Gregory Blaxland and William Wentworth discovered a route across the Blue Mountains, opening up inland Australia to settlement.

• 1910 – An act of the U.S. Congress established Glacier National Park in Montana, located on the US-Canadian border and encompassing over 1 million acres.

1804 - The Lewis and Clark Expedition set out from St. Louis, Mo. USA to explore the new territory acquired from France two years earlier.  The expedition would take nearly two and a half years to reach the Pacific Ocean and return, with a treasure trove of scientific information on the new lands.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 10

I woke up at 2:30 in the morning because I dreamed I was running a horror game, and needed to write it down RIGHT NOW!

So  I did and I did.

My dream even had the miniatures I was using!

And we already have the STLs.

Pirate stuff in an antiques store, including a stuffed parrot in a rusting iron cage.

And the bones of slaves taken from the wreck, who drowned while still chained in the hold.

I think I will add it to Saltmarsh when I run it.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Morihalda said:

*hugs to both of you*

I feel that. We ended up having to cancel those new meds very quickly last month because the side effects got me pretty good. I just got home from my rheumatologist appointment. We're trying two new ones this week.... I'm anxious.

Hugs To you as well!  Guess the side effects is a very unpleasant game and sometimes can take a year to recover from!  Hope the new combo works better for you.

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Been working so much lately and I finally got a chance to paint today. Feline overlord said "nope!"

IMG_20210511_162031426.thumb.jpg.50ed956572481a11eb5a7e8fdd2ad228.jpg

Ah look the little kat is about to learn how to fly!:lol:

Actually this is probably passive revenge for the latest outfit....

• Like 9

What Happened Wednesday for May 12th:

• 1551 – National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, was founded in Lima, Peru.

• 1926 – The Italian-built airship Norge became the first vessel to fly over the North Pole.

• 1948 – Wilhelmina, Queen regnant of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, ceded monarchial duties to her daughter, Juliana. She'd fully abdicate the throne later that year after a reign that saw both World Wars and was the longest for a Dutch monarch.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
16 hours ago, TripleH said:

You forgot one important item:

1969 - Monty Python was born.

And everyone claims that M.E.O.W. are good guys:

image.thumb.png.9335b0eaf4ec5028539787ce276394c5.png

Classic W.O.O.F. propaganda.

That is OBVIOUSLY a crack M.E.O.W. environmental cleanup team, selflessly  doing their part to ensure public safety.

• Haha 15

Two weeks ago, at 4:45pm on a Friday, a woman tries to bully me into giving her a full training session on her equipment. 

I gave her what she needed to know for the weekend, and cut her off at 5:15, setting up a tentative full training session this afternoon. I gave her explicit instructions that she needed to email service beforehand to officially set it up, and make sure she's ready for it. 

She emailed at 3am this morning. :angry::angry:

She's not going to be happy when her training session doesn't happen today because she's not set up correctly for it. 

Part of this is because whomever set up the remote access to her site's camera system opened every port from 80 to 32887 on her router. 

Hacker's freaking dream site right now.  This has to be fixed before we can finish setting up our equipment, and I can't train her until our set up is complete. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6