Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Some Timeline Trivia for Tuesday, May 11th:

• 868 – A copy of the Diamond Sutra was printed in China, making it the oldest known dated printed book.

• 1813 – William Lawson, Gregory Blaxland and William Wentworth discovered a route across the Blue Mountains, opening up inland Australia to settlement.

• 1910 – An act of the U.S. Congress established Glacier National Park in Montana, located on the US-Canadian border and encompassing over 1 million acres.

1804 - The Lewis and Clark Expedition set out from St. Louis, Mo. USA to explore the new territory acquired from France two years earlier.  The expedition would take nearly two and a half years to reach the Pacific Ocean and return, with a treasure trove of scientific information on the new lands.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke up at 2:30 in the morning because I dreamed I was running a horror game, and needed to write it down RIGHT NOW!

So  I did and I did.

My dream even had the miniatures I was using!

And we already have the STLs.

Pirate stuff in an antiques store, including a stuffed parrot in a rusting iron cage.

And the bones of slaves taken from the wreck, who drowned while still chained in the hold.

I think I will add it to Saltmarsh when I run it.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Morihalda said:

*hugs to both of you*

I feel that. We ended up having to cancel those new meds very quickly last month because the side effects got me pretty good. I just got home from my rheumatologist appointment. We're trying two new ones this week.... I'm anxious.

Hugs To you as well!  Guess the side effects is a very unpleasant game and sometimes can take a year to recover from!  Hope the new combo works better for you.

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Been working so much lately and I finally got a chance to paint today. Feline overlord said "nope!"

IMG_20210511_162031426.thumb.jpg.50ed956572481a11eb5a7e8fdd2ad228.jpg

Ah look the little kat is about to learn how to fly!:lol:

Actually this is probably passive revenge for the latest outfit....

• Like 9

What Happened Wednesday for May 12th:

• 1551 – National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, was founded in Lima, Peru.

• 1926 – The Italian-built airship Norge became the first vessel to fly over the North Pole.

• 1948 – Wilhelmina, Queen regnant of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, ceded monarchial duties to her daughter, Juliana. She'd fully abdicate the throne later that year after a reign that saw both World Wars and was the longest for a Dutch monarch.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, TripleH said:

You forgot one important item:

1969 - Monty Python was born.

And everyone claims that M.E.O.W. are good guys:

image.thumb.png.9335b0eaf4ec5028539787ce276394c5.png

Classic W.O.O.F. propaganda.

That is OBVIOUSLY a crack M.E.O.W. environmental cleanup team, selflessly  doing their part to ensure public safety.

• Haha 15

Two weeks ago, at 4:45pm on a Friday, a woman tries to bully me into giving her a full training session on her equipment. 

I gave her what she needed to know for the weekend, and cut her off at 5:15, setting up a tentative full training session this afternoon. I gave her explicit instructions that she needed to email service beforehand to officially set it up, and make sure she's ready for it. 

She emailed at 3am this morning. :angry::angry:

She's not going to be happy when her training session doesn't happen today because she's not set up correctly for it. 

Part of this is because whomever set up the remote access to her site's camera system opened every port from 80 to 32887 on her router. 

Hacker's freaking dream site right now.  This has to be fixed before we can finish setting up our equipment, and I can't train her until our set up is complete. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

I hope everyone is having the best day they can. 

Laundry and thinking of making chili today, but not sure. Tomorrow I drive down to see Ludo and have a paint day. My son says he want to go as well and he does not have any school... so maybe I will let him come with. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Two weeks ago, at 4:45pm on a Friday, a woman tries to bully me into giving her a full training session on her equipment. 

I gave her what she needed to know for the weekend, and cut her off at 5:15, setting up a tentative full training session this afternoon. I gave her explicit instructions that she needed to email service beforehand to officially set it up, and make sure she's ready for it. 

She emailed at 3am this morning. :angry::angry:

She's not going to be happy when her training session doesn't happen today because she's not set up correctly for it. 

Part of this is because whomever set up the remote access to her site's camera system opened every port from 80 to 32887 on her router. 

Hacker's freaking dream site right now.  This has to be fixed before we can finish setting up our equipment, and I can't train her until our set up is complete. 

Back when we used to go on site to do install training, we sometimes had customers who would insist they wanted to buy their own computers instead of buying them from us.  So we would tell them that we book airfare 2-3 weeks before your install date, and if you're not ready then we don't book. We had one guy who was insisting that he needed a Jan 1 install date and booked it almost a year in advance so he could get it.  Three weeks ahead of time he still didn't have a server for us to install the software on.  and we remote installed the software and did pre-configuration through the web so the on-site could be all about training.  He threatened to sue when we said we were going to have to push back his date because he didn't meet the requirement to have the server ready for us to set up 3 weeks before.   We called his bluff, he bough the server the next day, and paid extra to get the last minute booking 1 week before.  
None of his people were ready. I spent most of the first day still dealing with install stuff that's normally done remotely, so that was a day down. I then spent half the week of training standing around waiting for his people to find information that needed to be put in the computer before they could use it, and helping them do data entry that should have been done before I got there.  I left at the end of the week with his people half trained and him on the phone with the support manager demanding that I reschedule my flight out and stay to finish training his people over the weekend.  I don't know what was finally said but Monday back in the office my boss told me that he quoted the guy a price for me to stay over the weekend that almost doubled the cost of the system and he relented and agreed to schedule additional training 3 weeks later with a different tech who was available.
That other tech told me when she got back that she didn't think they actually learned anything, they just spent the whole three days complaining about the things that were different than their old system, rather than trying to learn to use the new one.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 13

9 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Back when we used to go on site to do install training, we sometimes had customers who would insist they wanted to buy their own computers instead of buying them from us.  So we would tell them that we book airfare 2-3 weeks before your install date, and if you're not ready then we don't book. We had one guy who was insisting that he needed a Jan 1 install date and booked it almost a year in advance so he could get it.  Three weeks ahead of time he still didn't have a server for us to install the software on.  and we remote installed the software and did pre-configuration through the web so the on-site could be all about training.  He threatened to sue when we said we were going to have to push back his date because he didn't meet the requirement to have the server ready for us to set up 3 weeks before.   We called his bluff, he bough the server the next day, and paid extra to get the last minute booking 1 week before.  
None of his people were ready. I spent most of the first day still dealing with install stuff that's normally done remotely, so that was a day down. I then spent half the week of training standing around waiting for his people to find information that needed to be put in the computer before they could use it, and helping them do data entry that should have been done before I got there.  I left at the end of the week with his people half trained and him on the phone with the support manager demanding that I reschedule my flight out and stay to finish training his people over the weekend.  I don't know what was finally said but Monday back in the office my boss told me that he quoted the guy a price for me to stay over the weekend that almost doubled the cost of the system and he relented and agreed to schedule additional training 3 weeks later with a different tech who was available.
That other tech told me when she got back that she didn't think they actually learned anything, they just spent the whole three days complaining about the things that were different than their old system, rather than trying to learn to use the new one.

Oh man, that's rough - but as a story, it doesn't surprise me at all.  

I've noticed that the ones who threaten to sue the quickest are often the same ones who haven't fulfilled their side of the contract.  We do a lot of bluff calling, too. 

• Like 11

Youngest vixen will have her 22nd birthday tomorrow.

So tonight she gets to choose dinner.

She chose Spareribs from the oven marinated in Babi Kecap Sauce ( my recipe)

Green Beans fried with bacon, garlic, sundried tomatoes and cashew nuts ( my recipe)

And fried potatoes.

Icecream for dessert with profiteroles filled with strawberry mousse ( my girl's recipe) and whipped cream.

I approve of her choice!

Tomorrow we'll have a few people over and because of Covid restrictions the others will be coming Friday and during the weekend.

I'm having a long weekend as of now!

I'm going to serve a large Tapas platter tomorrow with all sorts of dips, cheese, sausauges, meatballs, nuts, apricots, dates, etc etc...

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Tomorrow we'll have a few people over and because of Covid restrictions the others will be coming Friday and during the weekend.

I'm having a long weekend as of now!

Sounds delicious. 

What time should I be there on Friday? I need to see if I can get a flight. 

• Haha 12

9 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Sounds delicious. 

What time should I be there on Friday? I need to see if I can get a flight. 

It gets better, my girl baked  a cherry Mon Chou pie and I bought a Limburg Strawberry Pie with Swiss cream and chocolate.

Youngest Vixen baked an Arretjes Cake.

Not our own pies/cake, these pics are from the Net to show what it's like.

Ours are in the refrigerator now, tomorrow they will magically disappear I guess.

This how a Mon Chou Cherry Pie looks.

1023843411_Schermafbeelding2021-05-12181210.jpg.89753f1b1057b97dad448fe2db44073e.jpg

This is a Strawberry Pie with Swiss Cream from Limburg ( our province) ours has chocolate chips on it.

Aardbeien-vlaai.thumb.jpg.a4c6626ff8b66cfebe2ca326ec72da0e.jpg

And this is an Arretjes Cake.

Lots of butter, chocolate and biscuits baked into a hard cake!

1773076446_Schermafbeelding2021-05-12181636.jpg.2cf992898f5bf2e4f0008fd5cf02a9b5.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

It gets better, my girl baked  a cherry Mon Chou pie and I bought a Limburg Strawberry Pie with Swiss cream and chocolate.

Ours are in the refrigerator now, tomorrow they will magically disappear I guess.

1023843411_Schermafbeelding2021-05-12181210.jpg.89753f1b1057b97dad448fe2db44073e.jpg

This is a Strawberry Pie with Swiss Cream from Limburg ( our province) ours has chocolate chips on it.

1773076446_Schermafbeelding2021-05-12181636.jpg.2cf992898f5bf2e4f0008fd5cf02a9b5.jpg

Looks sweet..... 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Okay group, we will start booking a group tour of the Netherlands, first stop @Glitterwolf's to kidnap him as our chef.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 16