Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... That was NOT fun. I spent most of Monday night running to exorcise some "brown devils" and watching half of the Ah! My Goddess! TV season, trying not to eat. My stomach got mad at me for having half a sandwich! By the time I crashed out in the morning, things were better. But, I've been drinking more water and trying to eat smaller amounts.

And, that *&*^&*^*(^&*^()_)_(ing phone. I don't... I can't... It's like someone enjoys kicking me when I'm down. I got the phone before I left for work and put it on my To-Do list for when I got home. Got home, popped it open, was surprised at what I got for what I paid (in a good way), and set about getting it set up. I had 43 apps to update. Which was fine, I wasn't in a hurry, just let it do it's thing while I made something to eat and all that. When it came time to switch it over, oh boy, the bad stuff started. Couldn't get a human on the phone to help me. Tried entering my PIN online and got a death spiral of a loading screen. Changed the PIN, tried again. No joy. Tried again and again and restarted the process. Death spiral. I ended up having to chat with someone on the website, who took FOREVER to respond to me, and had to enter the 20-digit number on the SIM card. Three times. After almost two hours, the phone was switched over. I do like it and the battery is fantastic.

But! Then I couldn't sleep. Nothing I did would work. I ended up getting something like two hours of sleep before work last night. And got sent to a desk. Which is not a good thing. Thankfully, I bought supplies (caffeine, lots and lots of it) and since my stomach was off, I was up and down all night. If you get what I mean.

I'm hoping my stomach calms down soon...

There's some other stuff that I found out last night but I don't think you all want to hear that. It's not really upsetting me but it's not exactly fun, share happy news. Nothing wrong with me, just... Eh.

• Sad 14

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Right?? I should have been way more vocal about my birthday a couple months ago.

Given when my birthday is, I almost always have to share my birthday treats with mother's day treats.  Which usually ends up meaning something with berries or lemon and whipped cream instead of something with mascarpone and coconut and walnuts....

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm a Logistic Coordinator, solving problems in the supply chain.

So I can work in Logistics, Some Office Jobs, I can also work in a Warehouse/Depot ( been Chief of one of those and am able to lead a group/team).

I also don't mind working as an orderpicker or driving a reachtruck or something like that.

Heck..I even like to work in a zoo and take care of animals, or work at a City Hall or Store or whatever.

I guess my main concern is the paycut and the uncertainty of it all.

Kinda scares me a bit, when I retire in 3 years I will have been in the Air Force for 36 years...

I do have good people skills, can motivate people, am fluent in Engrish and reasonably good in Zerman.

Can drive a car ( and motorcycle and actually a truck as well, but the latter is something I hate and I even had my Truck driver's license put on hold).

It's just by that time I will be 60yrs old and I wonder if people will still need someone that age for a job.

I concur with everything that has been recommended.

My perspective is 6 years in Naval Aviation Maintenance plus being in business for oneself after completing my BS, so here goes.

-

You are someone with many years of expertise in Logistics, a skillset that is highly valued in today's society.  Having specific expertise in Aviation Logistics is a big plus. As a troubleshooter you are a problem solver by nature and inclination, another valuable skillset.  As a Warrant Officer you are mid-level management and know how to manage not just things but people, yet another valuable skillset.

As has been recommended, put out some feelers.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the responses you receive.

Don't worry about approaching 60.  If you are in good health and reasonably fit you are good for the better part of a decade, possibly longer, as a working person.

Oh by the way, you forgot to include your talents as a Chef/Gourmet Cook in your skills.  A lot of the pics you post have me drooling from the western side of the USA.

Best of Luck to you my friend in this major life transition.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:

There you go then. I can't comment on what jobs are like in your part of the world. But I know around here that a person with 3 plus decades of logistics work and a military background would get snatched up by any number of companies in a heartbeat. Might be time to start dusting off the resume and looking to see what kind of companies are hiring. You may still be three years out from your possible retirement, but never to early to get an idea of what is out there. 

That's an idea ! Thanks.

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

@Glitterwolf - I have to second what @Thoramel said. 

And if you start looking now, you're a lot more likely to have something lined up for day 1 of your military retirement. I know plenty of military people who had firm jobs lined up 3-9 months before they got out because they started talking to those employers a couple years before their discharge date. 

I can only assume that your military is a lot like ours, and that unlike civilian employers, they can't/won't let you go, just because you started looking around for another job.

Correct, I can choose between two dates and ntohing more or less, else I will lose my pre-retirement pay!

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Glitterwolf here employers love retirees, we know how to get up, show up on time and are reliable. Plus, you have the advantage of being able to walk away if a job is no good. Plus, if you go ahead and decide to go in 3 years, you will have peace of mind. Then you start planning seriously for you and Marja.

It's just the paycut that  bothers me the most and the fear that I might not find a part time/new job for a few years.

It seems I might be too afraid of that.

11 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I concur with everything that has been recommended.

My perspective is 6 years in Naval Aviation Maintenance plus being in business for oneself after completing my BS, so here goes.

-

You are someone with many years of expertise in Logistics, a skillset that is highly valued in today's society.  Having specific expertise in Aviation Logistics is a big plus. As a troubleshooter you are a problem solver by nature and inclination, another valuable skillset.  As a Warrant Officer you are mid-level management and know how to manage not just things but people, yet another valuable skillset.

As has been recommended, put out some feelers.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the responses you receive.

Don't worry about approaching 60.  If you are in good health and reasonably fit you are good for the better part of a decade, possibly longer, as a working person.

Oh by the way, you forgot to include your talents as a Chef/Gourmet Cook in your skills.  A lot of the pics you post have me drooling from the western side of the USA.

Best of Luck to you my friend in this major life transition.

GEM

Thanks for this!

It really means a lot to me and will help me decide.

I want to thank everybody who replied it really helps.

Sometimes one needs to get the perspective from others to help decide things.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

How do you help a friend who thinks they’re garbage, but they’re actually a really great person??? 

One of our friends tried to commit suicide last week, we only just found out, and we’re at a loss as to how to really help him. We tell him he’s a great person all the time, but it’s like it bounces right off his brain. He’s being taken care of now, but I know he’s going to need supportive friends when he gets released. 

• Sad 18

23 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

That's an idea ! Thanks.

Correct, I can choose between two dates and ntohing more or less, else I will lose my pre-retirement pay!

It's just the paycut that  bothers me the most and the fear that I might not find a part time/new job for a few years.

It seems I might be too afraid of that.

Thanks for this!

It really means a lot to me and will help me decide.

I want to thank everybody who replied it really helps.

Sometimes one needs to get the perspective from others to help decide things.

You're welcome. 

I get the feeling it's the uncertainty that bothers you more than the pay cut, despite what you're saying.  I completely understand that, too - it's nerve wracking when you feel like you're losing control over your own financial future. 

Good news is that you're lucky enough to be in a position to take action on both. }

Just remember, one of the best things about a military retirement income is that even if it isn't enough to live on, it gives you a lot more flexibility in earning what you do need to live on. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Dry as a bone!

It evaporated an entire liter of nice whiskey in four months!

Wait...

What...?

Someone distilled whisky...

Put it in barrels. 
Then they bottled it. 
Then they sold it...

(You) Bought whiskey. 
In a bottle. 
Poured into a barrel. 
Whiskey gone now. 
[?]

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

How do you help a friend who thinks they’re garbage, but they’re actually a really great person??? 

One of our friends tried to commit suicide last week, we only just found out, and we’re at a loss as to how to really help him. We tell him he’s a great person all the time, but it’s like it bounces right off his brain. He’s being taken care of now, but I know he’s going to need supportive friends when he gets released. 

Oh man, that's tough. 

It's going to vary so much by the person, too - not everyone has the same needs.  When my friend went through that back in High School, his group of friends just started making sure he knew he was invited to every activity we did.  We had an advantage there, though - one of our mutual friend's father was a youth counselor, and he guided us all, as well as spoke to our friend. 

If I were to have a friend do that now, my reaction would be different for several of them.  For a couple, I'd be booking a flight for us both to somewhere to hang out. For a couple of others, I'd be writing them a heartfelt letter talking about how much I'd miss them in my life.  For a couple others,  I would be commissioning them to create artwork for me. And for one friend in particular, it would be a "WTF were you thinking?" speech.

My reaction to what you've said specifically though is this - it sounds like he has self esteem issues. My experience with self esteem is that you can't fix someone else's self esteem just by telling them they're great - they have to find a way to believe it themselves, and the best you can do is help them discover what they like about themselves (like something they're good at, such as art or music or woodworking, etc) or help them figure out what/how to remove an overly negative influence (such as an ex-spouse, overbearing mother, jerk boss, etc.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You're welcome. 

I get the feeling it's the uncertainty that bothers you more than the pay cut, despite what you're saying.  I completely understand that, too - it's nerve wracking when you feel like you're losing control over your own financial future. 

Good news is that you're lucky enough to be in a position to take action on both. }

Just remember, one of the best things about a military retirement income is that even if it isn't enough to live on, it gives you a lot more flexibility in earning what you do need to live on. 

The real retirement should be enough to get by if all goes as planned. The pre-retirement is just enough or just not enough and that's a five year period. If I decide to stay longer it will still be the case and still five years it's just postponing things and the real retirement will be a little more then.

The two years could mean saving a little more. On the other hand if I do find an in between job then I will end up with more than when I stay.

You might be right about the uncertainty. I like to be in control of things especially when it concerns important stuff.

I might be able to lower monthly costs by paying off a part of the mortgage and cut back a little on some things . 

Recently I had a bunch of lights an dimmers replaced by led which saves energy for example.

I'm less concerned about paying bills. More about stuff like future replacements and maintenance in and around the house,cars and being able to go on a vacation. I only have so much savings...

Of course the future will bring some stuff that I rather not think off that will lead to an inheritance for my girl etc...

But I hope that will be far far in the future.

Maybe I'm overthinking stuff. See, a few of you mentioned my skills and that companies value those. To me...I sometimes feel I can do my job sleeping and with two fingers in my nose, it's that easy for me. And that sometimes make me think it isn't that special. Then again I realise I can solve problems and make things happen that others deem difficult or near impossible..

Again guys and girls and critters, I thank you.

Your opinions and advice mean a lot. I got something to think about and I have a feeling that I need to believe in the future and be less scared of what will come..

Something I need to work on.

As for reaching out to companies 3+years is considered to soon here. I can do that one year before D.Day. but I have googled some sites who seem to hire ex Military and older employees, so far it seems there might be possibilities. Maybe I need something like a Linked In account ir something to put myself out there for starters.

I'm also not that happy that the actual retirement could be more or less depending on the economical situation. Then again I guess every retiree has to deal with that.

So yes, I might have a problem with the uncertainty of it all.

Thank you all, hope I didn't bother you all with my First World problems. 

You're a great bunch of people for reacting the way you do.

36 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

That's a terrible thing. He does need professional help. 

So it's good that he gets it. 

I have no experience with this myself, youngest vixen has a friend though, a young girl her age who has been prone to such thoughts, attempted to do it a few times and suffers from depression. She too gets professional help. 

Youngest vixen and friends often invite her over or visit her. When she is here, Brutus gets all her attention,  sometimes a pet can help. Being responsible for something that depends on you. Having something that loves you no matter what.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

When she is here, Brutus gets all her attention,  sometimes a pet can help. Being responsible for something that depends on you. Having something that loves you no matter what.

I just saw an article on a study the other day that showed emotional and cognitive benefits from simply petting a dog once a day. 

In the study, they had therapy dogs visit various people daily for a month, and they found that the positive emotional and cognitive effects of that lasted as long as six weeks after the visits ended. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

OK, I need some expert help.   What kind of bird is this?   We've seen it around our neighborhood lately, but today I actually managed to snap some pics of it because it was near the fox den and I was set up to take pics quickly:

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.cecd7b842f36818ae87c0aab5b9106c9.JPG

IMG_0257.thumb.JPG.144c2c19d8f68a0b7e77e762b54d2d2c.JPG

IMG_0255.thumb.JPG.9ae0924016aead2f989f29ddd6c0984c.JPG

IMG_0254.thumb.JPG.5c83566fd7af7932294233e64d481d2b.JPG

We're starting to think it might be an albino. 

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

So I'm thinking about character ideas for the low level games right now. I'm basing this guy off of Reaper's Gon'tarr (orc spellcaster), but I'm thinking about going the druid route with him. Using Tasha's I'll swap around abilities to make it a bit more favorable (Wis vs Str, probably keep Con at a +1). Looking at the Circle of Wildfire. This allows me to summon a spirit of fire instead of my Wildshapes (thou I get those too, I just have to choose what). Probably use Reaper's ANZEN CONTAR, MYSTIC AND FAMILIAR (GTM DYOM) for the spirit, as it suppose to be a small fire spirit. It's been awhile since I've played a druid, I've only made pregens druids for my Con games + my existing artificer has a steel "familiar" so I'm not sure if I'd be "branching" out as far as characters go.

I've got a couple weeks at least to think about this character at least.

• Like 8