Then they bottled it. 
Then they sold it...

(You) Bought whiskey. 
In a bottle. 
Poured into a barrel. 
Whiskey gone now. 
[?]

Yes, that’s a good summary.

The reason for barrel #2 is that it is smaller. Smaller barrels can age spirits faster. One year in a small barrel tends to act like a five year barrel aging. Take a nice 5 year old whiskey, put into the time machine barrel, and in a year I was to have a 10 year old whiskey. 

Instead, the alcohol content of the air I have been breathing has been higher than normal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That's an idea ! Thanks.

Correct, I can choose between two dates and ntohing more or less, else I will lose my pre-retirement pay!

It's just the paycut that  bothers me the most and the fear that I might not find a part time/new job for a few years.

It seems I might be too afraid of that.

Thanks for this!

It really means a lot to me and will help me decide.

I want to thank everybody who replied it really helps.

Sometimes one needs to get the perspective from others to help decide things.

You have many valuable skills that command a respectable salary and benefits package in the civilian workplace.  Don't sell yourself short.  I'm sure in your logistics work you interface with civilian contractors and vendors.  Talk to some of these people and explain your dilemma.  There are companies out there who pay a bounty to their employees for "head hunting" exceptionally qualified people, so they may be very willing to explore options with you.

Who knows, one or more of them might be eager to add somebody with your skills and particular knowledge of how the nitty gritty of the military side functions to their staff.

True story:  When I was preparing to go back to civilian life one of the Technical Representatives for the electronics systems I worked on [somebody who had watched me develop from a newbie electron wrangler into a competent technician and troubleshooter] attempted to recruit me for the Tech Rep. Program for the company that built the hardware and software I maintained.   I wasn't very receptive to the offer as I was at that time in my life tired of banging my head on a daily basis against malfunctioning equipment and equally tired of the treatment of mid-level petty officers being doled out by Navy Brass.

You are in a somewhat different position and mindspace so keep an open mind to any offers or overtures prior to offers.

I'm here for you to use as a sounding board either on the forums or through PM.  One proviso:  we don't have an internet connection yet at our new place and I'm not sure how long it will take to get service established as it requires laying a couple hundred feet [or more] of cable from the streetside connection to the house.

GEM

9 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Yes, that’s a good summary.

The reason for barrel #2 is that it is smaller. Smaller barrels can age spirits faster. One year in a small barrel tends to act like a five year barrel aging. Take a nice 5 year old whiskey, put into the time machine barrel, and in a year I was to have a 10 year old whiskey. 

Instead, the alcohol content of the air I have been breathing has been higher than normal.

Normally, there is a small amount of loss through evaporation in a barrel of aging whiskey, called "the angel's share".

It seems you have some very "thirsty" angels in your neighborhood.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Wait...

What...?

Someone distilled whisky...

Put it in barrels. 
Then they bottled it. 
Then they sold it...

(You) Bought whiskey. 
In a bottle. 
Poured into a barrel. 
Whiskey gone now. 
[?]

Sounds suspiciously like WOOF at work...just where is @Chaoswolf?

• Haha 12

Found out this morning that my cousin on my mom's side of the family passed away yesterday. I'm not sure what happened. She has never been in great health. Her husband passed a few years ago. She was the only ties I have ever had to my mom's side of the family. I loved her dearly even though we talked very rarely, she was a huge part of my childhood.

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

15 hours ago, haldir said:

I even have enough Pro Points (point system at the store for products related to what game you earned them from) to get a special stone set of dice or other neat items, but I have no idea what I want to do with them as 1)I'm a Chessex player, so the stone dice don't really appeal to me. I could get anther set of Chessex, but damn I got plenty of dice right now. 2)rpg books, I'm a digital "book" guy now so I don't really want any of those either. 3) There is a miniature option for the points, so I may just use em for those. We'll see I guess.

You seem to buy a lot of figures for your games. Will they order or give you credit for those? 

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Just hanging out on my porch keeping a count of masked versus unmasked people. So far:

0 — 3

Are they required outdoors?  They haven't been in this area for quite some time, unless you're unable to distance. 

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

To answer my own post - my neighbor, former head of the county conservation board came home, and told me it is a leucistic Robin. 

I thought it was looking at you like robins do, but I wasn't sure enough about the shape of the tail.  Interesting  development for you to follow. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Inarah said:

You seem to buy a lot of figures for your games. Will they order or give you credit for those? 

There is a option for miniatures for the points. I may look at it more closely, as I seen they had in stock a bunch of figs I'd like to get for the RCon games & such. With the pandemic going on, ordering thou is hit & miss with them, so I tend to not order anything until things even out. You can also use your points for snacks as well, thou I tend to get something & bring it before the game anyways, so I'm not really that hungry during the game.

• Like 8

Learn something new every day: apparently Angel's Trumpets (specifically the hanging Burgmansia) are considered extinct. Sure, you can fairly easily buy a plant at a garden center - but apparently, they don't exist in the wild in their native habitats in the Andes anymore. And while the precise term is "extinct in the wild", simply calling it extinct for short is acceptable.

The morale of the story?

Don't discuss weird news stories about formerly extinct-in-the-wild condors crapping all over some Californian lady's place with your friendly neighborhood biologist/conservationist unless you're prepared to hear about all the intricacies of what exactly "extinct" might mean. Apparently, some scientists argue ginkgo should technically be considered extinct because all extant populations in the ostensible wild seem to be linked to monastic cultivation.

Of course, in the grand cosmic scheme of things, all that is pretty irrelevant, considering it involves exotic chemistry of incredibly rare, heavy elements such as carbon and oxygen. Pointing out only about 2 percent of the visible mass in the universe is comprised of anything other than hydrogen and helium, making everyday reality as we know it mostly a statistical anomaly, that really is a great way to convince anyone (other than cosmologists and maybe astronomers) you're too crazy to argue with!

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, haldir said:

So I'm thinking about character ideas for the low level games right now. I'm basing this guy off of Reaper's Gon'tarr (orc spellcaster), but I'm thinking about going the druid route with him. Using Tasha's I'll swap around abilities to make it a bit more favorable (Wis vs Str, probably keep Con at a +1). Looking at the Circle of Wildfire. This allows me to summon a spirit of fire instead of my Wildshapes (thou I get those too, I just have to choose what). Probably use Reaper's ANZEN CONTAR, MYSTIC AND FAMILIAR (GTM DYOM) for the spirit, as it suppose to be a small fire spirit. It's been awhile since I've played a druid, I've only made pregens druids for my Con games + my existing artificer has a steel "familiar" so I'm not sure if I'd be "branching" out as far as characters go.

I've got a couple weeks at least to think about this character at least.

Looking more into this concept, I forgot I picked up Bombshell Mini's fire elemental sidekick during the last Critterkin KS, so I've got that one as well. I've thought about a firbolg druid, but I think I'd rather like the full blood orc & the fury of fire + makes more sense he'd be more into that Circle then a firbolg would be.

• Like 8

Tales from the moving front:

My preferred mover is booked out till July 5th!

so went on Yelp and after reviewing about a dozen entries, everywhere from Truckee, Cal [a non starter] to Moundhouse, Nv. [right down the hwy from our new digs] I settled on a mover who is in Carson City.  they didn't say on the page whether they did interstate moves so I rolled the dice and called.  The Nice Lady tm who answered was extremely helpful and we are booked for May 29th.

It's take a deep breath time and also time to start seriously humping boxes and stuff that we don't want the movers to deal with.

GEM

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1