Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

13 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

At some point I’ll be allowed to sleep <_<

Parenting:  the final test of how well you did with all-nighters in school

You will eventually get them to let you sleep... right about the time you start not sleeping because you are worrying about them or for them. ::P:

• Like 9

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Yeah, the Dutch have the right dessert(s) for every meal!

.. great, now I need to figure out where I can get proper chocoladehagel puur this side of Venlo (I'm pretty sure that'd be the shortest drive to a Dutch city for me, and unfortunately I live nowhere near* the Ruhrpott) before breakfast tomorrow.

Hmm, they did open a HEMA at the train station a while back. Maybe their hagelslag selection is better than the somewhat lackluster dropjes (and non-existent vla) section. Time for some grocery shopping. Hey, I should see if they have stroopwafels while I'm at it!

* not just by European standards, mind; seriously, even a Texan wouldn't say it's just a long commute

I live in Venray, half hour drive from Venlo.

There should be a supermarket in Venlo ( more than one actually) most will sell stroopwafels and hagelslag.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

There should be a supermarket in Venlo ( more than one actually) most will sell stroopwafels and hagelslag.

I know!

It's just that Venlo is the closest Dutch city in much the same way that Proxima Centauri is the closest star: until somebody invents jump drive, neither is a day trip.

• Like 7

Just now, Arkady said:

I know!

It's just that Venlo is the closest Dutch city in much the same way that Proxima Centauri is the closest star: until somebody invents jump drive, neither is a day trip.

Couldn't you order stuff online?

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

It looks like it's just going to be me now at work. At this point, I'm just waiting around to watch the place burn. It's oddly fun...

Tonight, I'm going to finish watching Ah! My Goddess. I hope...

2ciry6.jpg

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Couldn't you order stuff online?

Haven't found anywhere that'll deliver vla to these parts. As for hagelslag, it turns out the HEMA at out train station does have some. Not much of a selection, but there is dark chocolate.

But yes, surely menthol kruisen should be available online somewhere. I have to check that!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

At some point I’ll be allowed to sleep <_<

nah, by the time your kid(s) let you sleep, your body keeps you awake with it's various aches and pains, etc. :poke:

Working on a real mess right now. Tech for one of our direct customers with three sites currently asked me to format the reports so that all of them are identical.  Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, just a couple of minor changes, because for most customers with multiple sites, we use the same base program for all the sites. 

I could have just made some minor tweaks to achieve the immediate result they want, but  they're in the process of buying equipment for 2-3 more sites, and when the next site comes online, they're also adding multi-site capability.   When that happens, the programs have to be all aligned for multi-site, otherwise the reports get way out of whack. 

To further complicate things, this customer first discovered our equipment when they bought a used site a couple years ago.  They liked it enough that when another site went bankrupt last year, they bought the equipment from that site, and moved it to one of their own sites.  They became a direct customer when they bought our equipment for their third site because there was a commitment for all of their sites to be done. 

But because of the three different origins of the initial three sites, almost nothing lines up when comparing the programs. 

So it was a choice of do one thing now, then redo 50% of it when I do the reprogramming for #4.  Plus the potential of having to redo it again for #5 & #6. 

Instead, I decided to bite the bullet and do it all now, thus potentially save myself some work in the future. I hope. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Fun fact: I already found two places claiming to be the largest online shop for Dutch expats, and neither actually has menthol kruisdrop. Hey, at least one of them offers Dutch 'dairy' drinks that are all Alpro soy stuff, making it far *less* scammy than the other one, which is trying to con me into buying some German diet shake powder as a traditional Dutch dairy product.

Is it wrong of me to wish them a slow, agonizing rest of their life, preferably a couple of decades of being forced to watch Hogan's Heroes re-runs 24/7/365?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Fun fact: I already found two places claiming to be the largest online shop for Dutch expats, and neither actually has menthol kruisdrop. Hey, at least one of them offers Dutch 'dairy' drinks that are all Alpro soy stuff, making it far *less* scammy than the other one, which is trying to con me into buying some German diet shake powder as a traditional Dutch dairy product.

Is it wrong of me to wish them a slow, agonizing rest of their life, preferably a couple of decades of being forced to watch Hogan's Heroes re-runs 24/7/365?

HEY!  I like Hogan's Heroes.

Well, maybe not 24-7 but a couple of episodes every week day works OK.

GEM

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Still no rain of fish.

Also my research into introducing giant maneater catfish to the Fox River is not feasible due to the new dam causing lower water levels downstream of it. Not that there would probably be enough food in there to sustain a sizable population of them anyway. But this would've provided a strong defense to the North should the Cheese Lords of Wisconsin (Merciless and Eternal) decide to start feeling expansionist again...

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

I know!

Should I be worried that I consider anything within 300km to be comfortable day-trip distance?

Not sure where if you're in that range or not

Mind you, my commute to work is about 110km...

• Like 9