Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Some stuff that happened on today, May 15th:

• 1618 – Johannes Kepler confirmed his previously rejected discovery of the third law of planetary motion (he first  rejected the idea after some initial calculations were made).

• 1940 – Richard and Maurice McDonald opened the first McDonald's restaurant.

• 2010 – Jessica Watson became the youngest person at age 16 to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

And that's your daily history trivia. Have a nice day!

That happened about 35 miles from where I grew up, but nearly 10 years before I was born.

I also grew up about the same distance from In-N-Out Burger but grew up on them as they started in Baldwin Park and I spent the first 7 years of my life in Covina, circa 6 miles away and close to the Drive-In theater that my parents would go to regularly.  The routine was get In-N-Out and then go to the Drive-In.  I had my first In-N-Out Burger circa 1951 but never had McDonalds until the mid '60s when I went to work for the Ontario, Ca. company owned store.

GEM

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Get a PO Box if your porch situation is this bad..?

^^^^ This^^^^

Only downside is a situation I'm currently in where the shipping service a Kickstarter contracted with turned everything over to Fed Ex, when Fed Ex will not make delivery to PO Boxes.

I have very carefully explained to the Kickstarter people that in my opinion Fed Ex accepted the package under fraudulent conditions as they knew going in they would not deliver to the PO Box.  I've presented them with the alternative of issuing a full refund or sending the package to the PO Box, as the Fed Ex Terminal they were demanding that I pick it up at is a 2 hour drive from my house.

GEM

• Like 8

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I may have sent Jen a link to Raging Heroes, for if she ever decides to expand her army.

I blame the interconnection between the Sisters of Battle and Slaanesh on Mr. Blance.

Well, the person that ran it was from Canada (New Brunswick) - and moved back there quite some time ago - so it was at least not quite stereotypical as some might be. (One of our jobs involved the Film Board of Canada, a magical duel took place at Canadian Tire, during a yearly sale - literally hundreds of witnesses.... Apparently the yearly sales at Canadian Tire are really big things?)

The adventure I best remember, after all this time was titled 'One of Our Zambonis is Missing' - and involved an incursion of winter fae. (And was how Jen's 'French Maid' was introduced to the team.)

Good lord! Just looked up how long ago - Eric ran the game back in 2006.... Eric is also who I learned about Radical jack Durham from - when the Canadian colonies were looking to go the same way as the ones that became the US, the British Crown sent Jack Durham, with the Army, the Navy, and full authority to do as he deemed necessary to maintain Canada as part of the Commonwealth....

What he deemed necessary was to meet the captured leaders of the rebels as they sat in prison, and hammer out a compromise.

Beginning negotiations with 'You're right, this isn't fair, let's fix it' pretty much declawed the rebellion - and gave Canada its Parliament.

He single handedly prevented a whole lot of very exciting history from ever happening.

I still listen to Great Big Sea because of it.

The Auld Grump

Point her toward Wargame Exclusive as well, they may have a few things that will tickle her fancy.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

may want to advise her against getting the basic "mantis warriors" (demonettes) they do. the claw arms are so thin as to be useless. the big claws thin down to a tiny little wrist that just breaks if you look at it funny

The older, metal ones aren't (or weren't) bad - I have not tried the new ones.

2 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Point her toward Wargame Exclusive as well, they may have a few things that will tickle her fancy.

I'd forgotten abut them - I shouldn't have - the 'Greater Good' centerfold with sniper rifle was an early present for Megan.

And we hav some of their incredibly awesome vehicles from a Necromunda/Ash Wastes campaign - back before GW resurrected Necromunda.  (I am willing to forgive GW for quite a bit because of that. So very glad that Kirby has gone.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I'd forgotten abut them - I shouldn't have - the 'Greater Good' centerfold with sniper rifle was an early present for Megan.

And we hav some of their incredibly awesome vehicles from a Necromunda/Ash Wastes campaign - back before GW resurrected Necromunda.  (I am willing to forgive GW for quite a bit because of that. So very glad that Kirby has gone.)

The Auld Grump

the old ones are chunkier, which is good. the newer ones they tried to push the thinness too far

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

a magical duel took place at Canadian Tire, during a yearly sale - literally hundreds of witnesses.... Apparently the yearly sales at Canadian Tire are really big things?)

For some people, yup.  If you're paying attention, you can get some pretty decent deals on things.  You just have to actually need those particular things and suddenly it's rather nice.

• Like 6

The realization I have something like almost 200 minis being added in to my backlog is an... Interesting one.  A small part of me is all challenge accepted! while the rest of me is still wondering where I'm going to put a box that big just so I can take acquisitions photos... 

Guess I better get that gaming table cleaned up! ...And prep for a massive amount of assembly! 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah, the mower I'm using is an old fashioned push mower; no engine. 

I may have to break down and get something with a little more than 1 man-power.

I hate mowing the lawn so much that for most areas we've resorted to 5 goat-power instead

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The resin from their second Kickstarter was something else. I literally have no idea how they survived that as a company. As brittle and fragile as early Noughts Fenryll at a "well, at least it's not straight out of Nottingham" premium. Of all product I've ever actually handled myself, easily the second worst value for money right behind first-generation Citadel crapcast.

If you do point Jen their way, tell her to stick to metals. Those are actually quite good, though still a "well, at least it's not straight out of Nottingham" premium.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Get a PO Box if your porch situation is this bad..?

This is on my list, as I will probably be filing more copywrite stuff in the future, but I really don't want to until then. Of course, there's a lot of issues that going on with that I would love to explain, but we can't talk about those things here (note: that's not to be taken antagonistically). I mean, why do I have to pay for a service twice, if you get what I mean? Also, I was mostly blowing off stream. I ended up with five packages all at once, which is a tad overwhelming.

The thing is, I live in that world where I *have* to assume theft, or at the very least, criminal intent. While the Porch Pirate situation is better than it was a few years ago, the houses here all have to use a secure community mailbox, like one from an apartment complex. So, something goes missing, I assume the worst.

• Sad 9

Sunday's stroll through the history of May 16th:

• 1832 – Juan Godoy discovered the rich silver outcrops of Chañarcillo sparking the Chilean silver rush.

• 1866 – The United States Congress established the nickel coin.

• 1888 – Nikola Tesla delivered a lecture describing the equipment which would allow efficient generation and use of alternating currents to transmit electric power over long distances.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Tired today. Woke up way too early. Have Star Trek RPG this afternoon. Hoping to get some painting in while I'm upstairs. I'm hoping to have a more involved session today though. Did some painting during the last session because I didn't feel well and it was all I could do to concentrate.

• Like 11