Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Serenity said:

 

1 hour ago, Dicey said:

I had anxiety before, when we had almost-floods, but now that it's happened once (the only time the house has flooded in the 62 years it has existed), I'm even more nervous about the rain.

 

Is your house drainage adequate for the rains expected in your area?  If not, getting an upgrade would give you more peace of mind.  Our house has had numerous things done to minimize the basement getting wet over the years.  Some have worked better than others.  A sump pump made the biggest difference.  


@Dicey lives in a city where the drainage for entire neighborhoods is inadequate. 
 

Also, digging just 4 to 5 feet into the ground generally results in striking water, not potable water, but basement drenching water. So basements are not really a thing...it would take a sump pump the size of something normally installed in a battleship to keep the water out. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got this picture and I'm trying to make it print on a 5x7 and nothing I try will make it stop cutting the figure's feet off and granted I have no idea what I'm doing but also in beginning to think I'm stupid too. Hmm.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've got this picture and I'm trying to make it print on a 5x7 and nothing I try will make it stop cutting the figure's feet off and granted I have no idea what I'm doing but also in beginning to think I'm stupid too. Hmm.

Sounds like the aspect ratio is different from the paper and the printer is insisting on printing it to the edge of the paper. Can you add white bars on either side to make it the right aspect ratio?

 

To do so in MS Paint:

1. Check the size of the picture

2. Calculate the new long side size as (short side)*7/5

3. Create a new image of this size

4. Copy the old picture and paste it in the new image

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've got this picture and I'm trying to make it print on a 5x7 and nothing I try will make it stop cutting the figure's feet off and granted I have no idea what I'm doing but also in beginning to think I'm stupid too. Hmm.


I hate when that happens. 
 

Is Print Preview a thing? Could that help? 

That used to exist in the Windows OS print dialogs. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TGP said:

@Dicey lives in a city where the drainage for entire neighborhoods is inadequate. 
 

Also, digging just 4 to 5 feet into the ground generally results in striking water, not potable water, but basement drenching water. So basements are not really a thing...it would take a sump pump the size of something normally installed in a battleship to keep the water out. 

 

@TGP - You're exactly right. Basements don't exist here. The waterline won't support them. My house is not in a high-risk 100 year flood plain, though it is close to one. My concrete slab is 4" above grade, so there is a "step up" into the house. It's worked for 62 years, just not this time. Our garage partially floods fairly often, since it's lower than the living area by that 4".

 

The city actually improved the drainage in my neighborhood since Hurricane Harvey (no flood then, but it was close), and stopped just around the corner from my street. I can see the new curb-and-gutter area from my yard. The change in drainage patterns made by the city actually hurt my property and made our street (higher than the yard) like a dam. Five homes flooded on my street, including two that haven't flooded before. Plus, there's always a condo or a subdivision taking over a park or a golf course and taking away the natural green space drainage. We had a development like that near us recently too. I have literally no control over my situation short of moving, lifting my house, or putting up some sort of flood-proof wall. I know they exist, but they are tens of thousands of dollars. After going through this flood, I admit I gave it some serious thought. My neighbors and I have discussed getting in contact with our city councilwoman to try to lobby the drainage improvement project to come to our street.

 

I can't imagine having to deal with basement seepage and water intrusion that way. It's so foreign to me. I can say that I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.

 

Spoiler

This was caused by Tropical Storm Imelda on September 19, 2019. It happened very fast. I think it's easiest to look at the water level on our porch column for comparison.

1056.thumb.jpg.d02ee3026118d696e93e70ab33f46ef4.jpg 1123.thumb.jpg.66c1ef373a4cc82541a89346518bee64.jpg 1152.thumb.jpg.9f89b56c5e232fe270a224b897bb636a.jpg 1217.thumb.jpg.ad2b842bf5cae7ab381ef970328fa36f.jpg

 

The next ones are after the water started going down, well over an hour after the hallway picture above. It was right at about noon that the water came in the house. I was frantic picking up whatever I could off the floor. I saved several of our board games (they overflow our bookshelf and some were on the floor next to it) by putting them in the bathtub. I grabbed anything and everything and put it up anywhere that I could. We were lucky not to lose anything priceless to us and irreplaceable. I only snapped a few pictures "during" and it took me a while to feel like I could even slow down to do it. My husband got his truck stranded on the way there, blocked by high water. I was the only one at the house for hours.

 

 IMG_20190919_135653.thumb.jpg.f70c72323dac98b2dbb857541b66ef46.jpg IMG_20190919_135728.thumb.jpg.422a8564b9cd6c2ec1b72e440696d39c.jpg IMG_20190919_153305.thumb.jpg.b1b4035460c55d5452d3add4338237db.jpg

 

 

Edited by Dicey
Formatting
  • Like 2
  • Sad 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup, they've said it all already. No basements here, just plenty of overdevelopment. <_<

 

@Dicey Hugs, neighbor. I remember all of that stress but I can't imagine adding the homeowner's stress on top of that. We actually moved in with my husband's parents for several months after Harvey -- we couldn't get to our apartment.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Morihalda - So many people were impacted by Harvey. Truly a terrible storm. We helped our good friends clean their house after Harvey. They had 42" of water in their house and couldn't get to it except by boat for over a week. They had enough notice to move most valuables upstairs and drive out before it got too bad. They never moved back in after we cleaned it out about a month after Harvey. Sold it for a loss, moved in with her grandma, and there they've stayed for over 3.5 years. They are building a house now. We had a little idea of what to do because of their experience, though. And, after they flooded, I bought flood insurance even though it wasn't required. I'm glad I had it, but wish I didn't have to file that claim. We lived with my in-laws just a couple miles away for the past 9 months, which was its own torture. That relationship is ruined, at least for now. I don't wish it on anyone. Luckily, the rain tonight seems to be a no-show for me. It rained harder every day this weekend than tonight. *knock on wood*

Edited by Dicey
  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sumbloke said:

Sounds like the aspect ratio is different from the paper and the printer is insisting on printing it to the edge of the paper. Can you add white bars on either side to make it the right aspect ratio?

 

To do so in MS Paint:

1. Check the size of the picture

2. Calculate the new long side size as (short side)*7/5

3. Create a new image of this size

4. Copy the old picture and paste it in the new image

 

Couldn't get it to work! I tried and tried. Cropped and resized and uploaded to three different printers' sites. Even did some algebra and solved for X on some scrap paper trying to check my math lol. Kept cutting the feet off.

 

Finally went into Paint and set the size of the canvas or whatnot to the pixels I wanted and painted it black and shrunk the picture a little and pasted it in over the black so it had a border all the way around, aaaaaaaaaand then I uploaded it zoomed it a little and it appears to be working all right. Guess we'll see lol.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

 

Couldn't get it to work! I tried and tried. Cropped and resized and uploaded to three different printers' sites. Even did some algebra and solved for X on some scrap paper trying to check my math lol. Kept cutting the feet off.

 

Finally went into Paint and set the size of the canvas or whatnot to the pixels I wanted and painted it black and shrunk the picture a little and pasted it in over the black so it had a border all the way around, aaaaaaaaaand then I uploaded it zoomed it a little and it appears to be working all right. Guess we'll see lol.

I just thought - is there a "borderless print" option turned on?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

@Dicey---I wish you and your neighbors the best of luck dealing with the local politicians. It sounds like the improvements they made certainly contributed to your problems; hopefully they'll see that and take steps to correct the situation. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whew, managed to get caught up by Wednesday this week...a day earlier than last week.  Been slacking on my forum reading on the weekends.

 

Regarding 3-D printed ships:

20200120_183542.jpg

 

That one is a bit over 2 feet long, as I recall.  Was into a third roll of filament, but I don't think the grey was new when I started.  Still a bunch of rigging an such go, but it has been sitting in pieces on a shelf for quite a while now.

It is much easier to print things than to actually find time to assemble and paint them......

 

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...