Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

Just got in from visiting a stream restoration site that's been ongoing for about a decade now. It's nothing super fancy, just about a half mile of over wide stream that the nearby airport had to restore in order to impact some water resources elsewhere. Ten years ago this was a highly entrenched stream in an abandoned industrial field full of garbage and invasives. Five years ago they'd built a nice stream but it was still choked full of invasive species that could threaten the channel formation. We worked with the airport and their consultants to come up with a plan for getting rid of those and providing some better habitat. Today it is a beautiful meandering shallow stream. I counted at least 8 different species of native bird (including a great white egret and a family of pied billed grebes) and the prairie grass areas were full of bunnies. Even after working with the the permittee, I gave this stream about a 50/50 chance of being successful. Apparently that estimate was too harsh because it looks great. It's also acting as something of a giant retention pond for some of the industrial runoff in the area that would have settled in residential areas downstream of this before the improvements. So hopefully there will be some sort of small health improvements for people downstream of here. It's definitely reducing the potential for floods in folk's backyards already.

 

IMG_20210518_090611967.thumb.jpg.60bbef3b61c9375247a44c4942fafb93.jpg

 

And as a bonus, there is a lot of water quality improvement work going on downstream in this same watershed. By the time this is all done it should be a really nice resource for the folks living around there. Which makes me kind of happy. 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Just got in from visiting a stream restoration site that's been ongoing for about a decade now. It's nothing super fancy, just about a half mile of over wide stream that the nearby airport had to restore in order to impact some water resources elsewhere. Ten years ago this was a highly entrenched stream in an abandoned industrial field full of garbage and invasives. Five years ago they'd built a nice stream but it was still choked full of invasive species that could threaten the channel formation. We worked with the airport and their consultants to come up with a plan for getting rid of those and providing some better habitat. Today it is a beautiful meandering shallow stream. I counted at least 8 different species of native bird (including a great white egret and a family of pied billed grebes) and the prairie grass areas were full of bunnies. Even after working with the the permittee, I gave this stream about a 50/50 chance of being successful. Apparently that estimate was too harsh because it looks great. It's also acting as something of a giant retention pond for some of the industrial runoff in the area that would have settled in residential areas downstream of this before the improvements. So hopefully there will be some sort of small health improvements for people downstream of here. It's definitely reducing the potential for floods in folk's backyards already.

 

IMG_20210518_090611967.thumb.jpg.60bbef3b61c9375247a44c4942fafb93.jpg

 

And as a bonus, there is a lot of water quality improvement work going on downstream in this same watershed. By the time this is all done it should be a really nice resource for the folks living around there. Which makes me kind of happy. 

Thanks for an update that just made me smile!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Customer: I cannot get remotely connected to my car wash computer. 
Me: Hmm, I can't either.

<several troubleshooting steps later>
Customer: Power is out at the car wash. Would that do it? 


<facepalm>

Look at the bright side: at least smartphones don't come with cupholders, and people have gotten used to not needing WiFi cables.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Look at the bright side: at least smartphones don't come with cupholders, and people have gotten used to not needing WiFi cables.

Both have made things both better and worse for my job.

Smartphones have made things a lot easier in terms of being able to ask customers for pictures. On more than one occasion a single picture has solved a problem that could have been near impossible to figure out with only the person on site's feedback.  But there has also been more than one occasion where we've asked someone to go to site with a windows computer and they've shown up with just a smartphone or a tablet that can't run the correct software. 

Wi-Fi at a site often makes several of our programing and diagnostics tasks a lot easier as on site techs and personnel can move about the site untethered. But it's caused it's share of problems, too, particularly with credit card network security requirements. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I especially appreciate the coffee grinder! All honors to @Crowley master of the coffee urn!


I have never had a smartphone that would grind coffee!!  Aaaaaawww. 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a massive headache and it's in a place I don't normally get them so it's extra annoying. We have someone coming out to look at our dishwasher today. They could be here anytime between 9 and 1. So we had to sequester the cats to different rooms and I can hear them both making it known they are not happy.

 

Things are not nearly as clean as I thought we'd get them to be in 2 weeks. We did get the kitchen cleaner, at least found and dealt with the source of The Smell. Threw away some dishes that we were going to get rid of anyway. Not looking forward to seeing how much this is going to cost.

 

It's been a very busy 48 hours and I need a nap.

  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

But there has also been more than one occasion where we've asked someone to go to site with a windows computer and they've shown up with just a smartphone or a tablet that can't run the correct software. 

Oh, yeah, the average user still doesn't really understand that OS matters. ::(:

 

This reminds me of a press briefing about the potential risks of Android-based in-car systems I attended years ago (long before Wired did that Jeep hack to get the world at large to wake up to the fact smart car systems might be risky). Specifically, the analyst talked about the potential threat of malware worming its way from Android phones into Android in-car systems.

 

I had to tell the company's CEO I didn't think the message quite got through to much of the audience of motorsports and lifestyle journalists. One of them had already confided in me that he didn't see what all the fuss was about, given that plugging your phone into your car is no different from a tech plugging a Windows machine into the car for analytics.

 

The conceptual difference between a possible worm just propagate from one Android device to another vs. a Windows malware designed to drop an Android payload if it sees an Android device linked? He understood it when I explained, but hadn't even occurred to him such a thing might exist until he got that explanation.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...