Sign in to follow this  
Genghis_Sean

How do you outline?

I'm about to start painting my Munchkin Dungeon figures, and I notice that on their display paint jobs the figures seem to have their eyes, teeth, etc. outlined in black.  How does one accomplish that?  It doesn't appear to be a wash as it's too dark and fine.  Surely, they don't do it with a fine tip brush.  Is it ink from a pen?  Wondering how to do mine.

super munchkin2.png

• Like 1

Dark lining isn't that difficult with a brush and a steady hand. Use a dark paint and thin it slightly with flow improver and water. Use a brush with a very fine tip. Paint the line. Since the lines tend to be at the margins, they'll almost certainly be in a natural crease and be easier to guide. 

Even without a crease, you can make amazingly fine lines with a brush. Practice on a paper if you are skeptical. 

• Like 4

Reaper’s Liner colors are purposely made for for this.  If you mix two or more of them you won’t be able to tell it is not black. 

• Like 3

Also for reference, in the pic you show, the black "lining" looks to have been put down first.  It's not lined, it's that the black is painted over.  The painter may have touched it up with a wash/liner, and the foot/sandal may be lined proper too.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 3

It looks like they either primed it black or painted the lines first. The "lines" are incised, so essentially adding color on with drybrushing or something similar on the raised areas after the lines are all black would give that effect.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Genghis_Sean said:

Where do I find this magical stuff?

I am Not Allowed(TM) to link to places that sell stuff, but anywhere that carries Bandai models should have Gundam Markers, including the online usual suspects.  They're just really fine point alcohol pens, but considerably smaller than Sharpie's "ultra fine point".

• Like 1