Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Plastic melt bin (ReaperCon)

Would anyone else be interested in a plastic melt bin for old bases at ReaperCon?

I’ve done the metal melt bin for years, but I’m to a point where I have an over abundance of old hard plastic black bases that will never be used from dozens of different manufacturers.

Does Thomas the Base Engine accept old plastic bases as tribute?

• Like 4

Unfortunately, you can't reuse plastic once it's been melted and formed.

(Well, you can, but it's a much more involved process than just remelting it...Plastics Recycling is its own separate industry.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can use the bases.  I run a paint-and-take at the local high school game con, using donated figures and what I can get from the metal trade bin at Reapercon.  I usually end up sticking them all on washers. It doesn't matter what size or shape the bases are, they just need to hold the figure up while the kids paint.  If you can stand to hold onto them, I will take them at the next Reapercon.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I can use the bases.  I run a paint-and-take at the local high school game con, using donated figures and what I can get from the metal trade bin at Reapercon.  I usually end up sticking them all on washers. It doesn't matter what size or shape the bases are, they just need to hold the figure up while the kids paint.  If you can stand to hold onto them, I will take them at the next Reapercon.  

Totally! They’re just occupying a small section of one of my paint desk organizers and aren’t bothering me at all. ::P:

Many of them are the slotted bases, just FYI. 

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, Adrift said:

Would anyone else be interested in a plastic melt bin for old bases at ReaperCon?

I’ve done the metal melt bin for years, but I’m to a point where I have an over abundance of old hard plastic black bases that will never be used from dozens of different manufacturers.

Does Thomas the Base Engine accept old plastic bases as tribute?

Check into the Box of Goodwill Thread.

Way to shift stuff you know you won't be using and getting it to people with a need.

GEM

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Unfortunately, you can't reuse plastic once it's been melted and formed.

(Well, you can, but it's a much more involved process than just remelting it...Plastics Recycling is its own separate industry.)

Well yes and no.

It's not that the plastic can't be recycled per se, but that you must remember than Bones are still currently produced in China (though bases are locally made, it's a different material), and other manufacturers have their own plastic with their own subtle properties.

It's still useful for repurposing spare parts, but not for recycling like metal is.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Actually, depending on the plastic, you can grind it up and add it to virgin material and use it.  In some cases up to 20% recycled.  My brother has been doing plastic injection molding for 20+ now and he says that while it can be a pain depending on how clean the recycled material is, it is doable.

• Like 4

While Bones are still made in China, it sounds like they are in the process of moving more production to the US.  I believe Ed told us that in one of the recent streams.  I haven't seen any Bones minis that say "Made in USA" yet, but I just noticed that a Bones Black package I have says they are made from 10% recycled material.

• Like 2

IIRC... it's been a few years since I took the Reaper HQ tour... there is a machine for making bases at HQ and they do recycle the sprue.  It can be pelletized/chewed up and is added to virgin plastic in small amounts.  I forget what the ratio was, 10% maybe or 20%. 

That doesn't mean that random plastic from other sources can be used or that there is any desire for recycling anything other than what Reaper is already doing.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

IIRC... it's been a few years since I took the Reaper HQ tour... there is a machine for making bases at HQ and they do recycle the sprue.  It can be pelletized/chewed up and is added to virgin plastic in small amounts.  I forget what the ratio was, 10% maybe or 20%. 

That doesn't mean that random plastic from other sources can be used or that there is any desire for recycling anything other than what Reaper is already doing.  

Pretty sure this is it.  In the case of the sprues they know absolutely that the recycled plastic going back in is the exact same plastic as the new material. They couldn't be sure of this in the case of recycled, and that's ignoring things that might have paint/glue/etc on them as well.  While for metal this is ok, as those impurities are easily burned/skimmed away in a melt pot, for plastic they would become inclusions that negatively impact the finished product.

• Like 4

RE:  Plastics and recycling.

A lot of the plastics used to make "stuff" are as much as 20% other inert material.

If you've ever cut or broken a piece of plastic ad see something that I describe as "cement grey" then you are looking at a plastic that has added inert material, probably either plastic or talc.

For things requiring fine detail, like Bones or Audio Recordings, you want a "Virgin Plastic" so that it will take and hold the maximum amount of detail.  Near the end of Vinyl Record Production, before the resurgence, they started making some pressings using a percentage of recycled material that would sometimes result in a degraded level of fidelity in the pressing because they didn't always strip the labels off of the used material being ground up.  If a speck of that label ended up in a groove then the pressing was defective, something not usually discovered until a customer "dropped the needle" for the first time.

Similar defects would result if an improperly processed bit of recycled material ended up on the surface of a bones mini.

GEM

• Like 5

On 5/24/2020 at 8:09 PM, Mad Jack said:

Reaper does grind and reuse their sprues and miscasts bases for casting in Thomas.  There is a percentage (I didn't work in Plastics, so exact numbers are not my thing) of recycled material in every Reaper base produced.

• Like 9