Sign in to follow this  
WulfsheadeMiniatures

Necron themed Terrain WIP

I started work on a set of Necron-themed terrain for my next Kickstarter.

The first structure is a bunker. It's still in-progress so the final model will probably be a bit different, but so far I like how its turned out. I put a bit of Egyptian influence into the design.

Bunker_WIP_02.jpg

• Like 8

I guess my first thought would be ... how to handle the need for translucent neon green tubing to get that "Necron" look?  I wonder if there are any suppliers of neon green acrylic rods in some standard diameter that I could get and cut to length to use as inserts for trim elements.  (Those tall vertical "windows" on the 3D model look like they're practically begging to have some glowing green neon columns as decorative elements there.  :)  )

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

I guess my first thought would be ... how to handle the need for translucent neon green tubing to get that "Necron" look?  I wonder if there are any suppliers of neon green acrylic rods in some standard diameter that I could get and cut to length to use as inserts for trim elements.  (Those tall vertical "windows" on the 3D model look like they're practically begging to have some glowing green neon columns as decorative elements there.  :)  )

there are, many places that supply such things. they're not an exact color match to the necron green

• Like 2

I could really see a Necron-esque dice tower come out of this.  :D

It's too bad that the Necrons don't really seem to be into statuary (at least not from any of the art I've seen).  I feel like a lot of fun could be had with playing up the "techno-Egyptian-esque" look by having some "cyber-statuary" elements in nooks within the structures, or as stand-alone elements. 

For instance, those four vertical "slots" on each side of the monolith-esque structure in the first picture make me think of the four seated colossal statues of Ramses II at Abu Simbel (or, closer to the actual structure shown, the standing statues in the alcoves flanking the entrance of Nefartari's temple).  I suppose having a bunch of "cyber-skeleton" figures standing in the Nefartari temple style (hands to sides, body straight up, face forward, one foot slightly before the other) would be too overtly Necron, but perhaps some sort of "cyber-animal-skull head" feature would be the sort of thing that might visually fit the Necron aesthetic, but still be distinctly different.  Of course, that'd be a lot harder to model ... but at least it would be entirely appropriate to copy the same model in exactly the same pose, given the inspiration material.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

I could really see a Necron-esque dice tower come out of this.  :D

It's too bad that the Necrons don't really seem to be into statuary (at least not from any of the art I've seen).  I feel like a lot of fun could be had with playing up the "techno-Egyptian-esque" look by having some "cyber-statuary" elements in nooks within the structures, or as stand-alone elements. 

For instance, those four vertical "slots" on each side of the monolith-esque structure in the first picture make me think of the four seated colossal statues of Ramses II at Abu Simbel (or, closer to the actual structure shown, the standing statues in the alcoves flanking the entrance of Nefartari's temple).  I suppose having a bunch of "cyber-skeleton" figures standing in the Nefartari temple style (hands to sides, body straight up, face forward, one foot slightly before the other) would be too overtly Necron, but perhaps some sort of "cyber-animal-skull head" feature would be the sort of thing that might visually fit the Necron aesthetic, but still be distinctly different.  Of course, that'd be a lot harder to model ... but at least it would be entirely appropriate to copy the same model in exactly the same pose, given the inspiration material.  :)

That is exactly what I was thinking when I made the bunker! The open area on top of the entry portal is for some statues I'll be making.

I know there hasn't been any of that in the art, but there's no reason we can't make it anyway.

• Like 3