Looks good.

As for claws and beak, look at pics of real birds, I find that helpful.

The Reaper Dusky Skin Triad is a good way to create black with highlights and shadows.

I like to use that over a basecoat of Scale 75 Decay Black.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Looks good.

As for claws and beak, look at pics of real birds, I find that helpful.

The Reaper Dusky Skin Triad is a good way to create black with highlights and shadows.

I like to use that over a basecoat of Scale 75 Decay Black.

I redid the beak after looking at actual beaks and realizing they don't have much shine to them at all. I think it's an improvement. Thanks for the suggestion.

10 hours ago, stormbreach said:

That's some good work.  I especially like the eyes.  Did you prop him up at all?  He's usually pretty floppy, mine is.

Thanks! He is a little floppy, but is currently freestanding. The boiling water trick helped relieve some of the flop. When I base him I will probably glue his front claw to the base and stick a pin in his back leg for stability.

• Like 1

I'm feeling bold, so here are some comparison shots to my first attempt at this mini (painted April 1st 2020, just shy of two months ago). He was my first mini after a three hiatus from the hobby (and I really didn't paint much before that, so I'm still a pretty new painter). This latest owl bear is maybe my twelfth mini since then.

I'd say there's a noticeable improvement.

IMG_5352.thumb.jpeg.66062ee0dd074b4d791a67238553ea0c.jpegIMG_5351.thumb.jpeg.732a599e80e8aff866db408fe700afad.jpegIMG_5353.thumb.jpeg.bcac3c9adb7f2041cb425c896777f7ad.jpeg

Edited by BardicDave
  • Like 6
58 minutes ago, BardicDave said:

(and I really didn't paint much before that, so I'm still a pretty new painter)

So how many minis have you painted total?  I'm trying to decide how much is enough before I'm not allowed to call myself a beginner and have to show some actual improvement lol.  I'm at 42 and my 43rd is half finished on the desk right now.

3 minutes ago, stormbreach said:

So how many minis have you painted total?  I'm trying to decide how much is enough before I'm not allowed to call myself a beginner and have to show some actual improvement lol.  I'm at 42 and my 43rd is half finished on the desk right now.

I don't have an exact count, but I'm somewhere north of 25 and south of 35 in total minis painted. I very much consider myself a beginner. The past month has been the most productive period of painting in my life.

EDIT: Whereabouts in Ontario are you? I'm living in Hamilton at the moment.

Edited by BardicDave