Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Two different versions of the Bones Large Earth Elemental, 77185

Wow!  I prefer the second one but they're both great.  Those gems are stunning and I love that you took the time to make each stone a unique colour instead of all gray.

• Like 4

They do look like two different minis this way!

I love both, the lava effect is very cool, the rock version is great with all those different colours.

I can't decide which one is my favorite.

They both ROCK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I love both of them, but the crystalline one JUST edges it in terms of awesomeness. I especially like the amethyst :winkthumbs:

• Like 3

Great comparison and well done. I absolutely love the look of the rock one - all those subtle colors, the beautifully done crystals and the worked in dirt look - wow

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pingo said:

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. 

It wasn't this guy was it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7HvSOREv0M&t=663s

Because I saw your golem and was immediately reminded of this video.  I actually only bookmarked it because I wanted to try something similar once I had found a suitable model (It seems I just needed a Reaper Earth Elemental lol).   Anyway really good job, especially with the second one, varying the colours of the individual rocks worked really well, I wouldn't have even have considered that as an option, my inclination would have been to paint all the stone the same colour.  I'll be book marking this one for future reference.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      From Bones 3: Vegepygmies

The Children of the Forest. Now, where has that three eyed raven gotten to?

At last, vegetables that fight back! Take that you Vile Weeds!

77513 Vegepygmies
      from the Bones 3 Stoneskull expansion
      Reaper Miniatures 2016
      Sculpted by Kevin Williams
      Classic Bones
      20mm bases
    • By Maledrakh
      his one is actually from the Fan Favorites expansion and not from the Lost Valley expansion, but still...Giant Insect? Yeah, that's your Lost Valley right there. So I put it in with the rest.

To see the back bit, click the thingy:

• By Maledrakh
      This is a model that has been waiting patiently since Bones 3. I have been thinking about how to make it look maggotlike, as it more than anything reminds me of wasp larvae or maggots. You know, these ones:
        I wanted to use a short videoclip here, but the constant wiggling gives me the screaming willies!
      So the other day I tried a quick yellow-grey-bonewhite scheme. It turned out...not quite what I was going for. So I slathered the thing in gloss varnish to give it the shiny "a bit translucent" glass like look. It turned out looking slimy instead. Btw wasp larvae are not slimy or wet to the touch at all. Also, lots of wild animals such as squirrels, possums and birds really like the taste of those juicy wasp larvae, which probably is the main  evolutionary reason that wasps and hornets are so very aggressive, and use the Attack! Attack! Attack! When in doubt, attack again!" strategy to welcome anyone close to a nest.

The white in the photo is a bit washed out and the yellow and grey detail in the folds of the flesh are not showing properly. The gloss is overpowering most of it anyway.
      Live and learn. I am thinking maybe there are no quick-fixes for the effect I would like, and that I might need to go full non metallic metal-extreme white highlight technique to make the glass-like look I am after. Which is really time-consuming. So on the other hand, this took significantly less than a hour or so to paint in between other things. It will do the job.
      The paint job is not only Fast, but also Sloppy. Zoomed-in photos are without mercy.

Reaper calls this model "Carrion Worm". Worm? Worm? It has legs for crying out loud!
      ahem... from the Collinsdictionary.com:
      Definition of 'worm'
      1. COUNTABLE NOUN
      A worm is a small animal with a long thin body, no bones and no legs. (The astute reader will notice how I like a complete hippocrite ignore the "small" in the definition but make a big issue out of the "no legs" bit.)
      ....so, maybe a we shall call it a caterpillar instead? I have named this one Heim-Liche.

Anyway, what sort of carrion exactly does it dine on that lets it grow to such a size? And presumably at some point it will go in to a chrysalis. What might it eventually metamorphose into? Mothra?

77541 Carrion Worm
      Bones 3, Graveyard Expansion, 2015
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Kevin Williams
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      60mm base
      available from reapermini.com

This model was painted on or around the 7th of April.
    • By PhantomAquarist
      Finished this a few days ago. One thing I have to say. I've looked at a lot of people's online before doing mine. And not to be rude but I don't like any of theirs. Nobody seemed to try and do a theme to the rocks that location wise made more sense for the fossilized dinosaur on its back. Lots of people made gems and all kinds of other things. You wouldn't find those things around fossil remains. So this was my attempt to have something more surreal and actually include the fossils better and since I collect museum quality fossils apart from painting minis. I've seen enough to try my hand at what it would look like more on an excavation site. :)

• By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 14048, Fatima, Nefsokar Cleric.

Or rather it will be when you click on the links because she's super NSFW, front and back.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PAINTED FIGURE FATIMA, NEFSOKAR CLERIC.

There isn't a WIP thread because I couldn't figure out how to make one that would abide by the board rules. But questions or comments are appreciated.

The images are hosted on Instagram so you can post comments there too if you like.

• Who's Online   24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)