Star Wars: Imperial Assault-Jabba's Realm--Complete!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

They are all great but I adore the feedback painted like a badger!  It's great!

Nice job on everything I think that will look great for display or combat 

Thank you!  I try to keep close to the lore, but every once in a while I have to go off the beaten path and do something just for grins and giggles.

10 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

So many well done minis! They look great!

Thank you!

I always go for "tabletop," but if it's a nice tabletop that's good, too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Got it based and finished.  Hooray! 

• By R2ED
      I bought this little model at a local game store that had it in the clearance bin.  I thought it looked cool, I love Star Wars, so why not buy it?  However, a year ago, I wasn't at the level to paint it.  I primed it.  Based it.  And then let it sit for a loooooong time on the shelf without touching it.  

Today was the day.

BATTLE REPORT!

This was a great model for me to test layers on.  Over the last 4 models I've painted, I've really picked up a new rhythm and life for painting, which feels so good to get some wind back in my sails.  I still have to finish the desert-ish base for Greedo, but I think his paint job looks solid.

Wins:
      * Keeping my palette of colors out and planned helped so much!  I've picked my layering colors, laid them out in the wet palette and am saving time.  
      *  Mixing colors is also much easier by keeping similar tones.  In his vest, and arm/pant panels, I used leather as the base.  In his pants and jacket, I used a stormy gray to highlight up.  
      *  Alien Flesh!!!  I've been sitting on this color, I don't know how long.  I was thinking, "Gosh, if only I had a light green that would work with an alie...OH MY GOD!
      *  Learning my own recipe of water-to-paint ratios to allow for washes feels great!  Gives my painting more flexibility.
      *  Eyes.  When they are that big, it makes it pretty easy to do them.  I need to work on the reflections still, but I am happy with them.  Using Indigo Blue and up to Rich Indigo then mixing in white up to white.  Works.

Misses:
      *  Got sloppy twice and ended up swiping leather color over my pants and jacket 2 times.  Thankfully I could catch and fix, but it was a few 'choice words' I may have said when I did it.  
      *  Used a blue tack for the handle I was using and unfortunately, it didn't stick as well to my homemade metal base.  It nearly fell into the paint palette.  He nearly ended up as messy as my shorts.  I nearly crapped myself.  Also followed by more choice words.
      *  I tried using brown liner around the jacket and separation in the pockets on the vest, but it just didn't work like I had hoped.  I need to learn how to darken in a similar color without going too dark and stark of a change.  

Would love to hear your feedback.  Let me know what you think can be improved or worked on.  I appreciate any and all comments.

Here's my process photos and my inspiration image.

• By strawhat
      Lots of pictures.  I've done my best to keep the size down.

The Cast:

Story:
      In the waning days of the Galactic Rebellion, before the Battle of Yavin and Scariff, the Empire had nearly wiped out not only the Jedi but also many users of The Force.  Emperor Palpatine had special hunters, known as Inquisitors, that scoured the galaxy and captured/killed those rogues that survived Order 66.

The Grand Inquisitor tracked another Force user to the remote Tibana gas mine known as Cloud City hovering in the Bespin atmosphere.  The Inquisitor had orders to capture the rogue and return him to the Emperor for purposes unknown.  After setting up a carbon-freezing chamber in the depths of the city, the Inquisitor set his plan into motion.  Hired muscle, in the form of notorious Trandoshan bounty hunter Bossk, would help drive Hawkbat to the chamber into the waiting trap manned by Agent Blaise and two Imperial Security Bureau agents.

The large sums of money thrown around by the Empire aroused the suspicions of vile gangster Jabba the Hutt who, despite his long residency on Tatooine, has decided to make a rare off-world trip to witness the hunt.  Bringing along a trusted, if slow on the draw, bounty hunter known as Greedo.  Jabba would attempt to maneuver the happenings to his own advantage.

Agent Hawkbat, despite being useful on many occasions to Cloud City administrator Lando Calrissean, had run out of allies there.  Unbeknownst to him, Obi-Wan Kenobi had picked up his lightsaber once more and sought to foil the Inquisitor's plans.  After contacting an old friend, Ithorian Diplomat Murne Rin, the two would seek aid from the Administrator--If Hawkbat were no longer in Cloud City the Imperials would likely leave.  The Tibana gas mined here was not of sufficient quantity or quality to warrant further action by the Empire, and the Inquisitor seemed to barely notice anything not directly related to his quarry.

But could Obi-Wan and Murne count on Calrissean's aid, or would he betray them all to Imperial forces?

It appears that I've missed the rings on a couple bases.  I'll have to go back, one of these days, and tidy those up.

• By strawhat
      The Cast:

The Story:

After the capture of Han Solo by the Bounty Hunter Boba Fett, Princess Leia Organa selects a group of operatives to accompany her on a special mission back to Hoth in order to recover files and equipment that will be necessary to implement Solo's rescue.  The rebels expected the remains of the base to be empty, but Darth Vader's prescience led him to leave a small garrison force on the remote ice planet.  

Dengar, and his cadre of assassin droids, were too late to Bespin to participate in Solo's capture and the attempted capture of Luke Skywalker, but he continued trailing the Millenium Falcon when it left Cloud City.  Unfortunately for Dengar, the rebel sniper Loku Kanoloa trailed the rest of the band and now has the bounty hunter in his sights.

The rebels managed to acquire their assets but were discovered on their way out of the base.  General Sorin, eager to not fail Darth Vader, has deployed all his best assets in an effort to capture the rebels before they can return to their transport and escape.

All the activity in the area of the base has alerted a small band of wampas that were living in the ruins, and they are investigating.

Again, I need to redo some of the Scum & Villainy bases.  I think I changed ring-colors and the darker green just doesn't show well.

Dengar's armor is the wrong color.  I was originally going to do more of a feldbruan, but I got caught mentally on feldgrau.  I also need to go over the dots on the HK's bases.  I was originally going to mark the bases to distinguish which tokens to use, but I came up with a better way (as many IA gamers/painters did) of just hitting the base with a hash mark in the appropriate color.  That makes it much easier to distinguish which models go together and which ones are which.

Loku is shown in the printed materials as being a red Mon Calamari wearing green.  But, after Rogue One introduced to Admiral Raddus and his crew, I knew I didn't want to paint him red.  It makes no (visual) sense for a sniper on an ice world to be wearing so much brown and green, so I went rogue and painted him blue with  more lighter colored gear.  I thought about painting his skin white, but...

so...

much...

white...

I just couldn't do it (and I still have 11 or so characters who will be wearing white)!  I think I should have started with a little bit lighter shade, but I did what I did and I'm not redoing it or Dengar's armor.  It might not be accurate, but tough noogies.
    • By strawhat
      So, as it turns out, I...uhhh...misspoke...when I said Jabba's Realm was complete.  Well, I mean it was/is but I forgot to include a couple minis:

BT-1 and 0-0-0.  Two droids of ill intent.  Basically, they boil down to a trigger happy astromech and a sadistic protocol droid.  Mostly black with some accents.  The "glowing" spot on 0-0-0's hand is meant to represent its electric shock attack.

On to Coruscant!

Clawdite Shifters.  First one up is modeled after The Punisher.  That's supposed to be a mythosaur skull on it's chest.  It almost resembles it.  Not a bad attempt, I guess, but it misses the mark.  He was for funsies: the boxed set gives you four minis, but only three cards...so one of the Shifters is a "bonus" that you really can't use in the game.

I had a relaxed attitude toward the rest, no real plan.

And Maul.  Yes, that Maul (it's all explained in the Clone Wars tv show).  No longer a Sith, he's no longer referred to as "Darth."  This is, I believe, his look from Rebels.

On to the heros:

Drokkatta, the trigger-happiest wookkiee you'll ever meet!  She's a blast to play.  I figured that she needed to be a redhead, for no reason whatsoever.  She bears no similarity of temperament to any redhead I've ever known.  Not a one.

Jarrod Kelvin.  He's cool, I guess.  I mean, he's got knives like Wolverine!

Ko-Tun Feralo, is a Cerean Rebel quartermaster.  She brings the goodies to the fight.

Last, but not least, Ahsoka Tano!  I wish I'd seen her in Rebels before I started painting this figure.  I liked her costume from that show better than her Clone Wars one (which this more closely resembles).  Those facial tattoos are not great.  Tiny work, and I figured it was better to do what I did and not louse it up further.  The markings on her crest aren't great either, but like Maul's tattoos they get the job done.  I tried to pattern them off the Black Series action figure.

On to the home team (Boooo!):

Elite Sentry Droids.  

Regular Sentry Droids.

Regular Riot Troopers.

Elite Riot Troopers.

Emperor Palpatine.

AT-DP.  I am not happy with this one.  But as it won't see much play time, it's not really worth the effort to properly fix.  The blue is mostly "ok," but the round pods on the side of the cockpit were supposed to be another shade or two darker than the rest of the walker.  The base color (Rainy Grey) wasn't covering well, and was taking forever.  I didn't like the look of it afterwards (thought it was too light), and figured a black wash would get the recesses done right...It didn't quite work out that way.  Still, it's done.

I also need to remember not to use a white background.  It's washing out the photos.

I am at 97% for the sets we regularly use!  I have seven Rebels (including Han Solo and Chewbacca) and an AT-ST to complete for the Core set...and the Nexu need some finishing work, but they could go as is.  Then on to Twin Shadows (Tuskens and Boba Fett)!
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)