Sign in to follow this  
MaskedRiderChris

Do 3-D Miniatures Need To Be Scrubbed Before Priming/Painting?

Hello, all! I have several 3-D printed miniatures and I'm curious about one thing; do they require scrubbing and cleaning like conventional miniatures do before building, priming, and panting? Or can I simply build. prime, and paint right away? Any and all advice appreciated, and thank you!

The resin ones need to be washed with soap. 

The plastic ones from a filament printer usually benefit from primer. 

• Like 1

I print minis myself with a 3D printer.

First I clean them in alcohol then in Warm Water.

When you buy 3D minis it will be enough to wash them with soap like Inarah said.

I found that the Reaper Liners work well as primers on those, just like they do on Bones.

( Brown, Green, Grey, Red and Blue that is, the Sepia Liner is less suitable)

Be careful though, Resin is often more brittle and can break if handled too rough.

• Like 1

Since Filament ones don't have a mold release or other agents, they  don't need to be washed. Just apply primer.

Resin do as described above.

• Like 2

With Filament printers there may be issues on the bottom, depending on which adhesion techniques were used. 

(I use gluestick on hot glass. Some use hairspray or purpose-made adhesives) 

It shouldn't matter since it's on the 'bottom' but on FDM printers that's the surface that will be the smoothest, so it can be used for the front of shields or other items. 

Just mentioning it. 

and if someone else printed it for you, and possibly cleaned of support structures, you might want to wash it anyway to get rid of fatty residue(fingerprints).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaskedRiderChris said:

Thanks to all of you for the great ideas and input! I think I need to post on here more often, now. :)

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes you should!

Post what you're working on in Works In Progress, show what you did in SHOW OFF.

Talk fun in Random!

See you around!

• Like 1

You want to wash most minis to remove mould release agent such as grease or talcum. 

3D prints are not moulded and as such has no mould release agent.

Resin prints do need a wash to get rid of excess resing (which is toxic) 

PLA does not need to be washed.

word of warning: do not wash PLA prints in water. PLA absorbs and reacts to water, at worst you might ruin your prints. 

I found this out the hard way: I made the mistake to rewash a mini I already had based on one of my PLA printed bases. The base warped significantly from the water and could not be saved.

• Like 2