PIRATE SHIP! for bones 5 kickstarter!

On 1/18/2021 at 5:29 PM, crowsandbones said:

In anticipation of my pirate ship arriving, I am beginning to think about transporting it. It's perfect for my D&D game right now, and when we all feel comfortable meeting in person again, I'd like to bust this out on the table. Just wondered if anyone is in the planning stages like me and if there are better ideas than a soft foam lined cardboard box?

A Skibox on top of the car ::P:

I also like the idea of @TheAuldGrump but I doubt that Reaper is going to dabble in 3D files.

Although I would highly recommend them to expand into that area, with the rate things are going this will mean a big chunk of the miniature market is changing, there will always be room for both physical and 3D minis.

I do think they could make more profit by putting a few models on the market this way.

Maybe not just the Pirate Ship but also the Stygian Barge that will probably not make it into retail.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to put this here for everyone to see it kind of plainly! These were shown off last night on ReaperLive, Sculpted by Chris Lewis, he did an amazing job he really out did himself. This is a

Hello all,  There has been discussion on the cannon subject here at Reaper. First: The ship will now come with 20 cannons. second: We are ordering more of just the cannons to be sold as a pack

Well I finally caved and bought the ship. At $125 (I'm a late backer) that is far more than I would ever normally spend on a "toy" but knowing that it might never come to retail, and that I would ther

Posted Images

I'm sad I missed this. Hopefully I'll be able to pounce on one when they put the last few in the store, as they were hinting. My coworkers just didn't drink enough beer fast enough for me to be able to use the empties to buy the ship before she left the pledge manager.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm sad I missed this. Hopefully I'll be able to pounce on one when they put the last few in the store, as they were hinting. My coworkers just didn't drink enough beer fast enough for me to be able to use the empties to buy the ship before she left the pledge manager.  

Ahhhh the mateys failed the captain! :lol:

Even though I have the Nolzur's, looking forward to getting the ship. Gaming at home definitely has its perks when it comes to the bigger props!

• Like 8
7 hours ago, haldir said:

Even though I have the Nolzur's, looking forward to getting the ship. Gaming at home definitely has its perks when it comes to the bigger props!

100%. I have a cabinet full of my painted miniatures, and it's so convenient to be able to just go to it and get them out for tabletop use, rather than having to transport everything from home to a second location and back.

• Like 6
On 2/1/2021 at 11:29 AM, Disciple of Sakura said:

100%. I have a cabinet full of my painted miniatures, and it's so convenient to be able to just go to it and get them out for tabletop use, rather than having to transport everything from home to a second location and back.

It’s such a pain in the butt! I can’t wait to be able to host sessions at my home for this very reason. I look like a backpacker when I have to haul stuff to play with my group. 

• Like 5
On 2/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, Demiosfire said:

It’s such a pain in the butt! I can’t wait to be able to host sessions at my home for this very reason. I look like a backpacker when I have to haul stuff to play with my group. 

I remember having to haul just my books and a few minis to other games, and I recall carrying boxes full of miniatures, terrain, and other stuff for Warhammer 40k back in the 90s. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with that now...

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I remember having to haul just my books and a few minis to other games, and I recall carrying boxes full of miniatures, terrain, and other stuff for Warhammer 40k back in the 90s. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with that now...

for warhammer, the army cases made it a lot easier. i have the Charon battlepack (they shutdown years ago, but its a travel safe 3 section long/wide case). :D

considering ive seen people carrrying multiple forgeworld titans to games, ppl will figure it out.    :)  it could be worse.

sanjay

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

If one had to guess, how many bottles of MSP would you go through to completely paint the pirate ship? Would an airbrush extend the mileage of the paint? The challenges are: no rattle cans(personal preference) & I don't own an airbrush but am willing to try (tho I'd really want to get proficient before attacking the pirate ship).

Edit: I suppose I'm estimating 3-4 bottles of base coat, 2-3 of mid tone, and another 2-3 of various shades for details...

BUT i should also probably double that count...

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, crowsandbones said:

If one had to guess, how many bottles of MSP would you go through to completely paint the pirate ship? Would an airbrush extend the mileage of the paint? The challenges are: no rattle cans(personal preference) & I don't own an airbrush but am willing to try (tho I'd really want to get proficient before attacking the pirate ship).

Edit: I suppose I'm estimating 3-4 bottles of base coat, 2-3 of mid tone, and another 2-3 of various shades for details...

In your situation I would get 2 bottles of Grey Liner and 2 bottles of Brown Liner. I would mix the colors 50/50.

@OneBoot  &

@buglips*the*goblin

…can tell you how far single bottles of paint will go because of doing 7 day challenges on very large models.

Four bottles is 1600 drops of paint. I believe you will not run out. Colorwise wooden sailing ships are neither grey nor brown, for a base color. But they sun-weather to grey, light grey, bleached grey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, crowsandbones said:

One bottle of paint is roughly 400 drops (I've legitimately counted; Ma'al took a LOT of Brown Liner....). For perspective, a single bottle of Dragon Gold was sufficient for me to put two coats on all the body/tail/wing scales on my Ma'al Drakar, and one of the five head/necks.

I don't use an airbrush so I can't speak to that, but I'd say that brush-painting would take probably 2-3 bottles for a basecoat (2 if you prime beforehand, 3 if you plan to use a Liner paint as both primer and basecoat), 1-1.5 for midtone, and a bottle apiece for details. Seriously, those little bottles hold an astonishing amount of paint for what we use them for, since we work in thin layers. Additionally, if you thin your paint even slightly, this will make a single bottle go even further!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

My plan for my frigate is to mix various shades of paint with white gesso.  Gesso is way cheaper in quantity, sticks to Bones very nicely, and covers well.  Heaven knows if it's going to work.  

I used to run a pirate game called Run Out the Guns at Origins and then Gen Con and I'm looking forward to getting back to Gen Con and whipping that monster out for my players when next I appear in Indianapolis.  

• Like 6
On 2/1/2021 at 1:41 AM, haldir said:

Maybe, but I'm not Captain Morgan. Remember to drink responsibly. And recycle your cans--there's an aluminum shortage (never mind GKA's wallet shortage.)

• Like 2
On 3/16/2021 at 4:14 PM, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm gonna spray paint the base wood color using some rattle-cans from Michael's. Then I'm going to drybrush it a bit and pick out all the details with other paints. Possibly use some GW Contrast paints to make my life easier in the texture department.

Careful with rattlecans and Bones stuff :/

Pirate ship....

Honestly, I'm not sure I will paint it. I think I'm going to usually have it unassembled for storage, and bring it out as needed for games, or pictures with a "dragon" sitting on it. Or wash it and serve sushi on it. When we can have people over again...

If I paint it, definitely going to use the airbrush. Perhaps spill some washes on it then fingerpaint to slide the wash around.... lol

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Careful with rattlecans and Bones stuff :/

I've got experience using them. Sometimes the Bonesium winds up tacky, because the paint never fully sets, which can be a problem, but most of the time I've used particular brands I've been satisfied with the results overall.

• Like 3