PIRATE SHIP! for bones 5 kickstarter!

Reaper_Jon

It’s 20 cannons; you are misremembering. 

After it was announced that the ship only came with 20 cannons (which was an increase after the uproar about the earlier disclosed plan to only include 10 cannons), I bought 30 of the WizKids Nolzur’s cannons and 30 of the Nolzur’s ballistae, right before WizKids raised pricing. 

I’m getting two pirate ships, so I’ll outfit one with Bones cannons, and one with Nolzur’s cannons, and have 10 Bones cannons left over for other projects (shore defenses, etc.) In truth the ballistae will get painted first; I don’t typically use gunpowder in my D&D games. 

• Like 6

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, bojesphob said:

Yeah, definitely comes with a bunch! There was a point they said it was going to come with... 13? can't remember, but then they realized that it wasn't nearly enough and decided to up how many we'd be getting.

Here's one of the forum member's box opening, specifically where he opens the cannons: https://youtu.be/ocSHu-B1a-A?t=463

Should take you right to where he's pulling them out!

Ah! That is great, very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to link that. Looking pretty good. 

I have not had a good, close look at the Nolzur’s cannons yet but my experiences with Nolzur’s have been mixed.

13 hours ago, bojesphob said:

Edited by Grumpy Gnome

Some pirate ship pics. The ships around it are from Renaissance games… who sadly are no longer in business. The reaper shop is huge, and looks like she could take all the others at the same time, 

E2E709D2-893D-4A04-9D4D-0A7DFBF2E0FB.jpeg

5C062BC2-18BD-4E29-AFBC-C747D1E6F41B.jpeg

B4130927-0F2C-47E4-AD99-CFE7F9243C37.jpeg

8D5926F1-EDBB-4587-9350-41508D421A9D.jpeg

D7309B73-1245-4881-9506-6423D0210332.jpeg

617DF5E8-2F27-40C2-B3E7-3FBC43B128D4.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Some pirate ship pics. The ships around it are from Renaissance games… who sadly are no longer in business. The reaper shop is huge, and looks like she could take all the others at the same time, 

It is cool to see those Renaissance games ships assembled. Mine are still in the plastic wrap. The size comparison is impressive compared to them. I put mine next to the one Printable Scenery Ship I Have assembled and Revenge makes it look like a bath toy. 

My son and I have everything assembled on our Sophie’s Revenge except anchor, lamps, and mounting of the Sophie figure. I am thinking they should be painted separately before mounting. This will be cool is ever get it painted. 

What are your thoughts on the questionable fit to the lower deck?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KruleBear said:

What are your thoughts on the questionable fit to the lower deck?

Its slightly annoying but overall I’m not super bothered by it. There is a noticeable gap… but the ship itself is impressive enough that it draws attention away from the gap. For its sheer size I am impressed that it doesn’t have more warpage. And for the price I am happy with it. 

the Renaissance games ships, I still have another le decision and … the big red one who’s name I am blanking on… in plastic as well. I may have bought too much in that KS. I have kind of done one a year… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Smokestack said:

yay! 20 more cannons ordered. Will try and order another 20 next month. 

Edit... bought 50 cannons... Ok, no more next month.

I wasn’t going to get into the reopened pledge manager, but the canons have me tempted as they are pretty nice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KruleBear said:

I wasn’t going to get into the reopened pledge manager, but the canons have me tempted as they are pretty nice.

yeah, I looked at the pledge manager but had decided I didn’t really need anything else. But then the cannons came… I really wanted more cannons, and a $1 a cannon is really too good to pass up. The wizkids cannons are the only thing close, and the cheapest I have found them is like $6-8 without counting shipping… 

I didn’t actually mean to buy 50, I ordered 20 and then thought to order 10 more but I didn’t think the order had gone through … and … well when the dust cleared it was 50…  shipping was $7.85, $3.48, and $.60. So about $62 total for 50 cannons… 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So, I just thought I'd pop in here (I didn't get a ship, and probably will not, where the 'ell would I put it), and ask a question.

So, Sophie's revenge IS a pirate ship, correct?

It's a 32 Gun ship (capable of 32 guns, 32 mounts correct?)

It comes with 20 guns, but everyone wants the full 32?

It's not a ship of the line, it's a pirate ship, would a true pirate ship have a full complement of guns?

Just wondering.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

It's not a ship of the line, it's a pirate ship, would a true pirate ship have a full complement of guns?

Just wondering.

Wouldn't that depend on the particular pirate and available finances?

In any case, I would expect that a pirate would at least want you to think that they had a full compliment just to avoid unnecessary "complications" during the liberation of valuables.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

There is a good post on Dakka. The guy states Sophie’s revenge would be an older 6th rate ship of the line. And while capable of carrying more, would probably carry 20 (18lb) guns on its its gun deck. 

maybe some smaller cannons on the main deck. 

the actual model has 30 gun ports. 

9 on each side on the gun deck, 5 on each side of the main deck and 1 on each side of the cabin. 

you can put more st the from and back, so probably 38 total with out it looking too crowded. 

From Orlanth on Dakka

This makes the vessel a fairly reasonable late 18th century 6th rate. Though the stern architecture is from a century earlier. 
Frigates prior to the Nelsonic era tended to have two decks of small guns, but moved to a single deck of heavier guns. Fewer guns total but more firepower and range. 6th rates had 20-24 heavy cannon, putting Sophies Revenge squarely into the 6th rate frigate category 

Grumpy Gnome wrote:

Is it 20 cannon included? How many gun ports? 

More than it needs. For heavy cannon you will want all the cannon on a single deck near the waterline. 20 12/18pdr is a decent armament for a frigate, and the ship is at fair scale for the class. Rule of cool allows for deck guns. If you want to have two gun decks buy lighter cannon for the deck guns, or some swivel guns and maybe a pair of carronade. 

While it is a fantasy ship and does mix genres if you replace the masts with something more reasonable I think it makes for a very plausible vessel. Doing a rated warship in 28mm is quite an achievement, most kits and sits at this scale are for smaller unrated vessels. 

Here is how I would rationalise this model. 

Sophie's Revenge was built in the new world by Portuguese or Spanish shipwrights using outdated but servicable blueprints and balcony architecture from the days of the Spanish Empire. She is most likely a Spanish ship. She was then captured by/traded to the English, French or US who refitted her as a modern frigate. To be worthwhile doing she must have been laid down in the 1770's or later and in service to northern powers by the 1790's who refitted her for single deck heavy guns. Hence why there are main deck emplacements, which probably housed 9pdrs from an earlier two deck gun arrangement of about 30-40 canon total. 
From the number of guns she is most likely to be in service to the Royal Navy as it is spot on for a RN 20 gun 6th rate frigate. 
The masts are a mess, the top masts have been damaged to the point they need replacing. It is not yet sure if the admiralty will allocate additional timbers for an antiquated 6th rate or decommission the vessel. 
Piracy was still a thing in the Napoleonic Era so we might assume the ship was considered in a not seaworthy condition and was inadequately guarded. 

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2