Jump to content

PIRATE SHIP! for bones 5 kickstarter!


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

@strawhatThat response made me chuckle:) Thanks.

@SmokestackI love your knowledge of ships. 


yeah, no… :) I have no knowledge on the subject. The guy on Dakka started a good thread, so all credit goes to him and the other posters… :) 

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/799743.page
 

this is Orlanth’s thread on Dakka. Lots of good info on ships and nautical gaming. As well as where to buy cannons, ships, crew, etc. the thread was just started yesterday in response to interest in the Reaper ship. 
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

So, I just thought I'd pop in here (I didn't get a ship, and probably will not, where the 'ell would I put it), and ask a question.

So, Sophie's revenge IS a pirate ship, correct?

It's a 32 Gun ship (capable of 32 guns, 32 mounts correct?)

It comes with 20 guns, but everyone wants the full 32?

It's not a ship of the line, it's a pirate ship, would a true pirate ship have a full complement of guns?

Just wondering.


Queen Anne’s Revenge, believed to be Edward “Blackbeard” Teach’s flagship  is alleged to have had 40 guns, 30 of which have been recovered. These appear to be 6 pounders according to wiki.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne's_Revenge

 

Orlanth has been a great help with his knowledge over on DakkaDakka. 

 

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:
Edited by Grumpy Gnome
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a parts list for the ship available? I've got a missing piece in my Kickstarter, and I need to request a replacement. Customer service asked for a 'Model Number', but I don't see a model number for any of the individual ship pieces. Any help would be appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that these ships have been washing up on our shores, has anyone completed a paint job on one of these?  I would really like to see some completed pictures to help give me some inspiration for painting mine.

 

 

--------------------------------

Keeper of the Scrolls

www.minisgallery.com

Edited by orclord
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, orclord said:

Now that these ships have been washing up on our shores, has anyone completed a paint job on one of these?  I would really like to see some completed pictures to help give me some inspiration for painting mine.

 

 

--------------------------------

Keeper of the Scrolls

www.minisgallery.com

 

I'm not sure I could get the time to cover the whole thing even airbrushing in the time it has been out for some lucky people!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

 

I'm not sure I could get the time to cover the whole thing even airbrushing in the time it has been out for some lucky people!

 

My initial thought was to spray paint the entire ship with a base layer of brown, but I also thought perhaps this would be time for me to experiment with an air brush.  I've never used one before and don't know a single thing about an air brush.  My biggest concern is that I don't want any areas to be overpainted (too thick).  I know there is a risk of this happening with spray paint, so I am wondering if this could also be a risk with an air brush in the hands of a newbie?

 

--------------------------------

Keeper of the Scrolls

www.minisgallery.com

Edited by orclord
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, orclord said:

 

My initial thought was to spray paint the entire ship with a base layer of brown, but I also thought perhaps this would be time for me to experiment with an air brush.  I've never used one before and don't know a single thing about an air brush.  My biggest concern is that I don't want any areas to be overpainted (too thick).  I know there is a risk of this happening with spray paint, so I am wondering if this could also be a risk with an air brush in the hands of a newbie?

 

--------------------------------

Keeper of the Scrolls

www.minisgallery.com

 

Not just that, at least for me, but the cost to get into using an airbrush is a bit daunting if you want one that's quality. I've seen some cheap alternatives, but not sure if I want to venture into it or not.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, orclord said:

 

My initial thought was to spray paint the entire ship with a base layer of brown, but I also thought perhaps this would be time for me to experiment with an air brush.  I've never used one before and don't know a single thing about an air brush.  My biggest concern is that I don't want any areas to be overpainted (too thick).  I know there is a risk of this happening with spray paint, so I am wondering if this could also be a risk with an air brush in the hands of a newbie?

 

--------------------------------

Keeper of the Scrolls

www.minisgallery.com

Use Badger's stynlrez, it works great.

5 minutes ago, bojesphob said:

 

Not just that, at least for me, but the cost to get into using an airbrush is a bit daunting if you want one that's quality. I've seen some cheap alternatives, but not sure if I want to venture into it or not.

If you don't want to spend the money on Vex, get a badger 105, it is a great starter airbrush. Then get a compressor like a california air tools CAT-6s, it is a great compressor and not noisy at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Use Badger's stynlrez, it works great.

If you don't want to spend the money on Vex, get a badger 105, it is a great starter airbrush. Then get a compressor like a california air tools CAT-6s, it is a great compressor and not noisy at all.

 

My wife actually bought a canister compressor for using to .... lol can't even remember exactly why she bought it, but we actually have one now that I think about it. I'll have to look into that badger, as I'd love to be able to do at least the base coat on my ship easily and not have to use spray cans.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I love my Paasche and Badger airbrushes, but I would not recommend starting out on a $100 ship. Get a large brush and use a couple of thin coats of a good primer and base coat. KISS principle on something as big as Revenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Guys, I love my Paasche and Badger airbrushes, but I would not recommend starting out on a $100 ship. Get a large brush and use a couple of thin coats of a good primer and base coat. KISS principle on something as big as Revenge.

 

Eh, give the airbrush a whirl on some other figures to get the hang of it, then go to town on the ship. The airbrush is the simpler method on the boat!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

 

Eh, give the airbrush a whirl on some other figures to get the hang of it, then go to town on the ship. The airbrush is the simpler method on the boat!

Just don't use a 0.15mm nozzle one, because it'll take a while! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 10:17 AM, ksbsnowowl said:

I have a Vex, but I bought the $10 single-action air brush from Harbor Freight specifically for applying Stynylrez primer. So far it has worked well. 

I've been looking for a decent cheap air brush for this same reason, might scoop one up today on the way home. I'm not looking for perfection, just something to get this big pirate ship primed once it gets here.

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...