PIRATE SHIP! for bones 5 kickstarter!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally caved and bought the ship. At $125 (I'm a late backer) that is far more than I would ever normally spend on a "toy" but knowing that it might never come to retail, and that I would therefore miss out on it forever, spurred me into action.

AND THEN, because I bought the ship, I had to buy Dark Depths, Brinewind, Goroloth and the Hippocampus to replace the Maiden (no guns in my D&D world) to go with it too! I had no initial interest in any of those items and now I've just doubled all of my previous spending in this KS! :wacko:

My name is Kalibak and I am an addict. lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 11
On 12/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, Kalibak said:

Well I finally caved and bought the ship. At $125 (I'm a late backer) that is far more than I would ever normally spend on a "toy" but knowing that it might never come to retail, and that I would therefore miss out on it forever, spurred me into action.

AND THEN, because I bought the ship, I had to buy Dark Depths, Brinewind, Goroloth and the Hippocampus to replace the Maiden (no guns in my D&D world) to go with it too! I had no initial interest in any of those items and now I've just doubled all of my previous spending in this KS! :wacko:

My name is Kalibak and I am an addict. lol

I bought 2 knowing I’ll probably only finish one and then can sell the other later 

• Like 7
On 12/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, Adrift said:

I bought 2 knowing I’ll probably only finish one and then can sell the other later 

This is risky. We don't know how many other people will have bought extra ships, thinking the same thing as you. The market may get flooded with them from people dumping their extras. I was almost willing to gamble that this will happen. But then I went ahead and pulled the trigger just in case they become scarce in the future, as a hedge against the prospect of missing out.

buckyball

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, buckyball said:

This is risky. We don't know how many other people will have bought extra ships, thinking the same thing as you. The market may get flooded with them from people dumping their extras. I was almost willing to gamble that this will happen. But then I went ahead and pulled the trigger just in case they become scarce in the future, as a hedge against the prospect of missing out.

buckyball

I don’t really care, mind you. If I end up getting serious motivation I’d be just as likely to paint it up and hang onto it. It doesn’t really matter and any gains by selling an extra wouldn’t be much compared to just working. 

I’d really like to do one standard and one undead version of the ship. Just need the motivation to make that happen. 

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Or... and this may sound like herey, but...

If you have an extra ship, nobody's stopping you from cutting it up and make a whole bunch of wreckage terrain.

That’s a really solid idea as well!! 

Perhaps I should order a 3rd!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If you have an extra ship, nobody's stopping you from cutting it up and make a whole bunch of wreckage terrain.

That would have been handy for an adventure I was going to run at RCon one year (screwy schedule year for me, so some of my games didn't get ran....:angry:). The party enters a huge cave & it are pieces of various ships & such. The culprits were a giant octopus (which 5e sizes are just waaaaaay to small) & some Koa-Tou.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That doesnt sound like heresy, but it does sound like a really good idea. I could get a second ghost ship, strip it of the guns so that I would have a full compliment for my other ghost ship. Then cut up the weather deck for shipwreck terrain. The lower decks could be modified into a sunken ship dungeon. The masts and spars from the second ship could also be used to add topsals to the intact ghost ship. So in the end there would be a ghost ship with tops and mainsals, and 28 cannon, shipwreck scatter terrain and an underwater dungeon. hmmm.

13 hours ago, Adrift said:

I’d really like to do one standard and one undead version of the ship. Just need the motivation to make that happen. 

The undead version of the ship was a nobrainer for me. I already have several ghost pirates painted. I think I could justify not having gunners for the cannons because the ship is haunted and the cannons seem to fire and reload themselves. And paintting would be minimal because the ship is already spectral. That leaves rigging and sails and some details here and there.

buckyball

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Plastic wrap for transparent sails.  Monofilament rigging..  

I was thinking nylon fishing line for the rigging and waxpaper sails. But plastic wrap would be more clear. I may have to experiment with that. If I could shape the plastic wrap then varnish it so that it is a little opaque that might work better.

buckyball

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, buckyball said:

I was thinking nylon fishing line for the rigging and waxpaper sails. But plastic wrap would be more clear. I may have to experiment with that. If I could shape the plastic wrap then varnish it so that it is a little opaque that might work better.

buckyball

The plastic wrap is awesome but as sticky as that stuff is, I think your aged wax paper design would net better results. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Adrift said:

As DM, a monster is any size you want or need it to be. 

That is true but at the time hard to find decent looking giant octopi without spending more then I would have liked.

I still might run that adventure., someday.

• Like 3