Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

Roll Call! Everyone Okay?!

Hopefully not too off topic here, but while we're checking on each other...  How're you all dealing with lockdowns/quarantine/unemployment/isolation/locusts?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BLZeebub said:

Hopefully not too off topic here, but while we're checking on each other...  How're you all dealing with lockdowns/quarantine/unemployment/isolation/locusts?

I am entirely content to not leave the house, but.. I loathe people, and have a pocket park to run around in if I get cabin fever.

I'm more worried for Mr. Thorne, who might have to go into the city (the office he works in? Seattle. :/ ) for work. Right now, he's telework exclusively, but if he has to go in for something... geh.

• Like 10

We were a mile away from the main protests. City Hall is out a lot of windows. Cop cars and dumpsters were dragged into the streets and set on fire. The looting was confined to big corporate stores who can afford to take the hit. A big-chain grocery store got emptied because food. All in all is was a pretty well executed riot.

Late in the night, hours after the protests died away, that grocery store burned in a 3 alarm fire. Philly cops have a History so I'm suspicious and so is everyone else who has half a brain cell <_<

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

I had to actually check the news to discover that there was even a protest here yesterday. Only a couple hundred people, and it sounds like the people who organized it worked diligently to keep it a peaceful one; the couple of police officers present had nothing to do. ::):

Physically we're doing great, though my pants are a bit more snug and my muscles are getting squishy, lol. We've got food and shelter and income and we're both healthy, so overall we're doing pretty good!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BLZeebub said:

Still waiting to hear when the vaccine trial begins. But they're going to let me know, because I intend to volunteer.

Going to online D&D is hard to manage. Better than nothing but I really miss in-person games. All the little things I did to make in-person games fun aren't possible now. I had just finished getting props in order for one dungeon to hand out and use.... and then we went digital. No hand-rolled spell scrolls to find; they're in a box still tied. Got some small pearls at the bead shop (find pearls of power); they're still in a bag. Went to the beach to collect seashells to search for treasure; those are still in a bag. Forwarding a document with "you found this" isn't quite as good as handing them a folded letter. I can't give everyone cookies and tea during a game.

My area overall is doing well. We're starting soft reopenings in some areas, so far so good. Almost makes it worse when looking at the news of elsewhere, since I don't know why I got the good luck of being here. I expected 6-pack abs from coughing, not from exercise and eating nothing but lentil stew and hummus. Research work is opening very slowly on campus; I have to ask my supervisor for time to go to the lab, only if needed. Then he has to get approval from head of department. And then I can get permission for 1 day/week.... for the foreseeable future. I don't actually need to be on that often, but it just stings a bit that "this is life".

• Like 10

I've got friends who were teargassed within the past hour. Welcome to Philadelphia.

Edited by NebulousMissy
  • Sad 13

4 minutes ago, Auberon said:

Things are quiet in the middle of nowhere.  Protests and infections remain in the lands of elsewhere.

This would be my status as well

• Like 9

Mrs. Strawhat and I are handling things fairly well.  Her office closed up shop early on during things and shifted to a work-from-home format.  She loves it.  We stuffed a desk into the spare room, and she's using that as her office.

My office is supposed to be on a rotation of in/out.  I've kind of ignored the directive for the most part.  The bosses know, and I haven't been told to do anything different yet.  Additionally, I do not think I could handle being in the house with Mrs. Strawhat all day, every day.  The house is too small and overloaded with things--there's simply not enough room.  Ironically, I'm the more classic introvert and more than a bit asocial (not anti-social: I'm a hermit, not Hannibal Lecter), but I'm the one needing to get out.

I do a little more of the shopping and errands, but we both still get out to do some things.  We're eating at home more.  For the most part, it doesn't much bother me and my routine has changed little.  But there have been days when it's all seemed a little too much and I feel extra-raw.  So far the feeling has faded after a couple days.  Extra painting time has helped.  And sometimes I crash a little early (10 or 11 as opposed to 12 or 1) for a day or two to try to help me recharge.

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

(lack of sleep always makes everything SO MUCH WORSE).

I think my life would have been very different if I could have figured that out while still in high school (as opposed to a couple decades after).  I know people tried to tell me, but sometimes things just don't get through.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Folks, stay safe.  If you need to chat about events, life, whatever, ping me on here, or FB.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Oops. Didn't realize there are curfews in cities. Hope everyone is looking up if there area is affected with the curfews. Bay area is 830pm to 5 am. Stay safe.

• Like 9

We're OK here at the Desert Hideaway.

Locally we have a lot of fireworks and a few rounds popping off around and after sunset but otherwise normal peace and  quiet.

Got a whole big mountain range between us and the Lawful Protest + insanity/evil taking place in the LA Basin.

I lived through the Watts Riots, the LA Riots of '92, the "disturbance" circa 2000, and now this.  This is definitely darker and more sinister once the sun goes down.

GEM

Stay Safe - Stay Sane - and Keep Your Head Down

• Like 11