Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

Roll Call! Everyone Okay?!

I think a meteor hitting earth is a pretty good analogy for my state of mind right now. Hoping to soon cool off.

Emotions are high. Patience is low. Interest is low. Usually one of those is the other way, at a minimum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We're OK here at the Desert Hideaway.

Locally we have a lot of fireworks and a few rounds popping off around and after sunset but otherwise normal peace and  quiet.

Got a whole big mountain range between us and the Lawful Protest + insanity/evil taking place in the LA Basin.

I lived through the Watts Riots, the LA Riots of '92, the "disturbance" circa 2000, and now this.  This is definitely darker and more sinister once the sun goes down.

GEM

Stay Safe - Stay Sane - and Keep Your Head Down

I didn't live through watts, but definitely the rest. I heard San Bernardino and Hemet got hit, but everything sounds quiet here. Bunch of crazy opportunists, nothing at all to do with what happened,  just using a reason to be stupid. Be safe everyone. 

• Like 11

Found out from the paper that Cleveland had a peaceful protest that turned into a riot after more than 4 hours.  Broke windows and looted stores.  Police say that it was outsiders.  Must be the Permanent Floating Riot Club without the transporters. (Larry Niven)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I've been very quiet lately for a variety of reasons, but we're ok in this house.

Pittsburgh is a city known for setting couches on fire in the streets when our sports teams WIN...Burghers are a demonstrative bunch. So it's no surprise there were protests over the weekend. It is surprising that those protests became riots, police cars were set on fire, entire streets from one river to the other had their windows broken out.

There's a certain horrified laughter in the fact that the local news spent a big chunk of their segment feeling on the fact that the GNC was looted. "Protein powders and energy bars looted! (Also, police cars set ablaze.)"

Honestly, I think the news just doesn't know what to do with all this, and GNC is some kind of normalcy. 

• Like 8

We're okay.

Night before last some local businesses were looted: two Walgreens, a couple of cell phone places, a liquor store, a computer store. All of our local stores and supermarkets are closed.

There was a big, I mean really big, demonstration a couple blocks north of our house yesterday afternoon. Completely peaceful. Many cops and helicopters came in late afternoon, extremely noisy for over an hour, kicked up a ruckus. It was on all the news. Then the cops lined up and filed away, without much incident. Public transportation has been canceled today. Local churches offered sanctuary to any stranded demonstrators.

• Like 13

15 hours ago, strawhat said:

My office is supposed to be on a rotation of in/out.  I've kind of ignored the directive for the most part.  The bosses know, and I haven't been told to do anything different yet.  Additionally, I do not think I could handle being in the house with Mrs. Strawhat all day, every day.  The house is too small and overloaded with things--there's simply not enough room.  Ironically, I'm the more classic introvert and more than a bit asocial (not anti-social: I'm a hermit, not Hannibal Lecter), but I'm the one needing to get out.

We've been relatively lucky.  DH had been working from home several days a week before we went into isolation, so we had a routine already.  His employer was one that was forced to close, but he found a new job within days.  With the basement newly remodeled and cleared out he has a  private quiet space to work. 

We have been through periods of unemployment before so we have emergency funds and I keep a stockpile of food and other goods to get us through weeks or months of hard times. The shortages here are not as bad as other parts of the country, but it has definitely helped to be able to pull from what we have and not make extra trips out, or worry that we won't be able to find food.  And that has enabled us to offer help to friends.

I do need to get out of the house periodically.  I don't always want to be around people, but I need air, sun, open sky and SPACE around me, not walls.  Sometimes I just go for a drive. 

I'm also sleeping more, because DH doesn't have to get up hours early, and that is helping a number of things. 

3 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Found out from the paper that Cleveland had a peaceful protest that turned into a riot after more than 4 hours.  Broke windows and looted stores.  Police say that it was outsiders.  Must be the Permanent Floating Riot Club without the transporters. (Larry Niven)

3 nights in a row here.  The protests have gone very well.  Police and city officials were there, listening and talking.  There were smaller groups of people after dark who wanted to cause trouble, who started throwing rocks and water bottles, set things on fire and caused other damage.  The police have been amazingly tolerant as frustrations are vented. 

• Like 12

I'm doing Ok. This whole thing feels so surreal at this point though. Living in Alaska is almost like being in another country at this point. I'm not exactly in the boonies, I live in a 'city', but... nothing's going on. If it wasn't for the internet I'd think it was business as usual everywhere. And as much as I'd like to stay informed, it's taking it's emotional and intellectual toll seeing everything that is happening out there. 

Stay safe out there everyone.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Illithar said:

I'm doing Ok. This whole thing feels so surreal at this point though. Living in Alaska is almost like being in another country at this point. I'm not exactly in the boonies, I live in a 'city', but... nothing's going on. If it wasn't for the internet I'd think it was business as usual everywhere. And as much as I'd like to stay informed, it's taking it's emotional and intellectual toll seeing everything that is happening out there. 

Stay safe out there everyone.

It's like this here in my little rat-town as well. Being on the eastern side of the state we don't get much action that the west aka Portland gets. The way today has gone for me, you'd think it was a regular June 1st day (no Covid-19, no riots, etc etc). I read Boise is starting to get their protesters. They are 60 miles east of us, so we shall see.

• Like 12

Looting in Dekalb last night, fires set in Aurora, which is just over the East edge of the county, about 20 miles from where I am. Local police were moving around in numbers today, apparently threats had made online to loot the Target on the North side of town. Seems there are somewhat organized groups that have a target list, go in smash and grab and get out from what I was hearing both from others in the area and on the scanner. 

Made a quick supply run today, ahead of my schedule as I expect that all of this is going to have ramifications on the supply chain, not to mention a second wave of infections, whatever good the lockdown may have done has been tossed in the gutter by this point...

I'm not too worried yet about things really going sideways where I am, we're on the edges of the Chicago area, and large groups would find it difficult to navigate the 60 miles from the city through the various roadblocks and defenses being set up in the suburbs to the East. However the targeting of our grocery stores is a concern as is possible spillover from Aurora making it's way into Oswego. I spoke with some of my friends who live in the Eastern suburbs and told them that if they needed to, my door was open if they want to hole up here. 

Past that, I'm still in wait and see mode, depending on what happens over the next couple of days. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

Fortunately we live in the country so no riots within 30-45mns of the house. Very tired of both the virus and these riots. 

• Like 11

Meanwhile I've got armored vehicles and national guardsmen with ARs "defending city property" within a mile of my apartment. I can hear the intermittent explosive booms from here. It's not being called 'martial law' but it's a mandatory curfew being enforced by the military so...

I mean, I'm willing to call a spade a spade. This here is the ace of spades.

• Like 3
  • Sad 12

Just now, NebulousMissy said:

Meanwhile I've got armored vehicles and national guardsmen with ARs "defending city property" within a mile of my apartment. I can hear the intermittent explosive booms from here. 

Same. Tense situation. Stay safe. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 9

...I just saw a video of a woman stopping to borrow a drill from a worker cleaning up a storefront after riots so she could pose for an "I'm helping!" selfie before hopping back in her car and driving away, and if I confirm this is legit I fr may board my soulship and finally exit this planet once and for all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

19 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I didn't live through watts, but definitely the rest. I heard San Bernardino and Hemet got hit, but everything sounds quiet here. Bunch of crazy opportunists, nothing at all to do with what happened,  just using a reason to be stupid. Be safe everyone. 

^^^ S'Truth.

GEM

• Like 4

My grandfather was on the ground during the '92 LA Riots. He was a firefighter. Wearing a uniform meant he was a target. He got shot at so often it was a deciding factor in his early retirement.

We were over in northern Hawthorne, we could have walked to the riots from Grandma's house. Grandma was watching us kids because my mother was recovering from major surgery. Grandma had the TV on to watch the riots because her husband was out there getting shot at. We could see the smoke from the yard. She kept calling people to try and get someone, anyone, to pick up us kids and get us out of there and nobody would.

There's a reason I haven't slept in multiple days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13