Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

Roll Call! Everyone Okay?!

I'm in the Denver 'burbs, so things are fairly quiet.... But I hear it's volatile downtown near the capitol.

• Like 7

I have a cousin who was going to move into an apartment in Philadelphia today. She got stuck in a parking lot because of protests on the road ahead where helicopters were dropping tear gas. The people in the parking lot fled out the wrong tube to get out of the area. She got back to family on the New Jersey side of the river.

Another cousin was going to move to a new place in San Jose and now there is curfew. I think he got to a safe place alright.

And a third is planning on participating in DC tomorrow.

There isn't anything I can do to help them and I hate it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

Reports that downtown Naperville had rioting break out. Aurora closed off entrance to the city, and National Guard has a large presence in Mooseheart, between Batavia and North Aurora. But so far west of Rt 59 has been quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

...I just saw a video of a woman stopping to borrow a drill from a worker cleaning up a storefront after riots so she could pose for an "I'm helping!" selfie before hopping back in her car and driving away, and if I confirm this is legit I fr may board my soulship and finally exit this planet once and for all.

Watching the coverage Friday night there were several people caught posing for the camera (I assume those shots went to social media) in the background.  It's definitely a set of priorities I do not understand.

Let out of the office early again.  One of the protesters was killed Saturday in an altercation in front of a business, and the prosecutor announced earlier that they were not currently pursuing charges.  Lots of factors in play here, but I do not want to get too involved in the topic.  The curfew is still in effect, and there is talk about extending the duration.

Things were pretty quiet tonight, though, despite things getting heated when the protests were less than willingly dispersed.  It blew over quickly, and there were fewer arrests...so..."good news"?

• Like 9

I appreciate being able to share here, because I couldn't talk about this with any of my family members without causing the female members to totally panic (well, panic more) or my dad to get political. My brother would probably be fine to chat with, but the poor guy has enough stress in his personal life just now. 

Things are still quiet here in SE Washington, but we're getting some very scary reports from most of MrBoot's siblings (one lives in Portland, OR; one lives in Salt Lake City; one lives in Seattle, and one lives in Missoula, Montana).

His brother in Salt Lake is reporting riots, burning cars, guard being called out, and a two-day curfew.

Missoula had such a big protest happening downtown that the brother-in-law there (who works as a beverage delivery driver) said the driver had to skip that part of his route (though he didn't know whether anything worse was happening). 

His sister in Seattle hasn't said much other than that she and her husband are okay. I feel so bad for them; they're the youngest, married less than a year, and have already had to deal with job insecurity, a pandemic, and now literal rioting in the streets. :down:

His older brother in Portland has been the most affected. He works as a jeweler for a chain of pawn shops in downtown, and says that lots of pawn shops downtown have been broken into and looted, including one right next door to the one he's currently working at. He did say there wasn't likely to be many, if any, guns or ammo left in them, since his stores at least saw an enormous jump in gun and ammo sales due to the pandemic (Please note, I'm not mentioning this to open up debate on firearm issues, just stating what is happening). I'm just happy that where he and his family live is a quiet area. 

I'm...having trouble finding words to describe how I'm feeling right now, but I suppose @Cyradis said it best: that there's really nothing I can do about ANY of this and it's just so terrible and I hate feeling so helpless. ::(: Raw is probably another good descriptive word. Like, there's just too much happening all at once. 

--OneBoot

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

52 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

hat there's really nothing I can do about ANY of this and it's just so terrible and I hate feeling so helpless. ::(: Raw is probably another good descriptive word. Like, there's just too much happening all at once. 

There will always be larger events in this world we cannot directly do anything about. Either brought on by societal issues or natural events. But that doesn't mean that we as individuals are necessarily helpless. 

Already there are a lot of here who are paying more attention to our gardening than usual, a few I think who have set up vegetable bartering pacts with their neighbors, etc. In doing so, even at a small level we are counteracting the chaos, bringing food into being where there was none before, and even though our individual efforts are but small drops, we are still doing something to provide for ourselves, others as well perhaps. This is not helplessness.

What we can do in situations like this is first, look after those we live with the best we can, in whatever way we can, then extend that out to to our neighbors, focus on actual community consisting of real people, not pixels on a phone or screen.* Either start or strengthen existing ties in our neighborhoods,**  because, and I do not in any way mean to either incite fear or panic by saying this, we probably aren't out of the woods yet as far as the way things are going. Strong communities, however small and modest, even if just one's block or building, can weather far better the whims of fate than individuals, however strong they may personally be. 

This year has brought more change and disruption than then a great many people ever thought was possible, and we have not yet felt the full consequences of what has already occurred from the virus, and the aftermath of the current ongoing unrest will likely bring more as well. Feeling overwhelmed by it all is understandable, each day seems to bring another event thought to be unlikely or impossible, and everyone has their limits. But think back on Frodo and Sam and their journey across Mordor. (Wisconsin) Tolkien wrote that in order to remind us that it requires extraordinary events to bring out what is best in us, just as it can bring out the worst as well in some. The year of 2020 is our opportunity to do exactly that. Yes, the general sense of normalcy has been lost, yes, each day can seem as if it is more dire than the last, but it is under these conditions, that we can perhaps find the unnormal and extraordinary with ourselves, and even though our reach may be limited, we still each of us have a reach. 

I cannot say that all will be well, I cannot promise that the world will ever return to what we were used to, I cannot say that there will not be further trials ahead, but I can say that we have it within ourselves to face them and deal with them when the time comes. It may not be comfortable, it may not be easy, but as humans***, we are nothing if not adaptable. 

* I'm not saying we need to abandon the forum, but the encroach of technology has had a detrimental effect on the way most people usually socialize, and taking steps to reverse that process is something that we as a society have a need for, if for no other reason than our individual mental well being.

**Bear in mind this is coming from someone who does not paticularly like his neighbors, so the fact that despite my cynical nature and general low expectations from humanity at large, the fact that I have begun to do so should have a certain weight to it. (In truth the above screed is something I am rather shocked in writing in the first place, as I thought whatever Aquarian idealism I may once have possessed was long dead and gone, and the thought it may not be is conflicting on several levels.)

*** I refer to humans, but considering the amount of food posting on the forum there are times that I seriously wonder if the majority of you may not actually be hobbits. (yes this played a role in my Frodo and Sam example.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

The Citrine household here in East Iowa is doing good.  I have been working from home since before it became mandatory.   My company has actually been very good in handling the Pandemic, and I don't expect to have to go to the office until after there is a vaccine that has been distributed. 

No riots or protests near me yet.  I understand the protesters, there is a lot to be frustrated about. 

I expect there will be bad inflation in late fall or winter, possibly preceded by the opposite for a bit.   If you can afford it, buy larger items on your list soon.   We just replaced our furnace and ac.  Planting a garden is also a great thing to do now, if you have the opportunity.   Like @Lord of the Dish Pit said,  getting to know your neighbors and building a strong local community is very important in uncertain times like these. 

• Like 14

(read in Luke Skywalker's "Toshi station for power converters" voice): "but I don't wanna get to know my neighbors better...... One of the west of me is a pothead, the east is the witch that wanted to get rid of the bunny & my across the street neighbors let their dog(was dogs, whoops!) roam free whenever & they bark at whatever!!!!" 

I do get what your saying but never gonna happen here. Oddly out of that bunch above, I'm friends with the potheads more then any of them, he's actually a nice person.

Here, over in Boise, a shot was fired when two opposing groups were together in  front of the capitol building (must be the  only place to gather for protesting......:rock:). That person was arrested but it's being investigated as a misfire or accidental shooting. No injuries, so far, so good. Let's keep it that way!!

• Like 14

Currently worried about my two cousins since they are law enforcement in Santa Clara County. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 12

4 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Currently worried about my two cousins since they are law enforcement in Santa Clara County. 

Hopefully, luck is on their side throughout this whole process.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Aunt is keeping us up to date, so far they had the peaceful protests and didn't get called in for some of the night riots. Exciting thing was launching the tear gas to disperse people blocking the highway.

• Like 14

Things have continued to be quiet locally. We had a large, peaceful, successful protest Sunday night, with police helping direct traffic around streets with protesters and handing out bottled water in front of the police station. This week is actually better for me than last, so far. Actually talking to people about what is going on helped more than I expected. Talked to a co-worker for a while, which was very good, even though we have very different opinions about some things. 

• Like 12

Apparently there have been protests in CT, but it seems largely limited to the large cities. Here in southeastern CT we're all small cities, towns and rural areas, and if not for the reports about protesters in Hartford and New Haven you wouldn't have known anything was happening at all.

• Like 13