June Boon for Noobs in the Room at Noon(June Hobby Goals)

On 6/2/2020 at 3:58 PM, Rob Dean said:

Based on last month’s disappointing activities, my goal this month is to clean my desk again and do something.

Sometimes real life gets in the way, personally I feel no pressure from these goals.

It's more of a wishlist and trying to keep on track.

But it does help to keep a little perspective.

• Like 8

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real life is about to intrude in a big (good) way but am going to try and continue the trend. I personally have been able to paint a lot more during this whole situation but haven't been able to read novels at all. With the painting, some evenings I will paint 10 belts and 20 boots. Or the colour red on 2 jackets, 2 trousers, 3 pouches. Some evenings I will prime a bunch of minis or give them an ink liner/wash. Other times I can do a lot more. It all adds up. 

Anyway. I am going to try and finish off my desert themed crew for Rangers of Shadow Deep. I basically took every Arab or Eastern themed mini I randomly had and thought 'this is the only time I am going to paint these'. I just need to finish highlighting and basing. 

If I get the Pirates of the Dread Sea minis done I will have a full set with multiple warbands/crews for a pirate skirmish game. I'd just need to paint up some monsters to have wandering around. 

I will finish off the Westwind Games policemen as these are 99% dark blue so it will be interesting to see how to highlight this without it looking stripy. 

I quite fancy painting a viking warband for Saga. An 'army' for this game is about 40 to 50 minis and 'points' are between 4 and 12 minis. So if I took a point at a time I could get another force on the table and have something ready for games. I probably wouldn't want to just paint vikings for 2 months but who knows...

• Like 8

On 6/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Well my last goals were partly met and partly changed to some other stuff I did finish.

This Month:

• Finish painting the Vampire Lord in Bat Form
  • Finish painting the Lost Kingdom Anubi Hero
  • Finish the Sphinx I got from Flying Goat Creations
  • Finish the second Giant Snake from Artisan Guild
  • Finish the Stygian Snakepriest with Spellbook
  • Finish the Benkai Oni
  • Finish the Artisan Guild Amazone Fighter
  • Finish the Artisan Guild Inca Princess on Panther and dismounted version

One down!

Actually two because I also painted the Titan Forge Desert Mage...

• Like 6

Well my last goals were partly met and partly changed to some other stuff I did finish.

This Month:

• Finish the Benkai Oni

Three down and the 4th is the Desert Mage I hadn't planned.

• Like 6

On 6/2/2020 at 9:58 AM, Rob Dean said:

Based on last month’s disappointing activities, my goal this month is to clean my desk again and do something.

Time for the mid-month check-in already? ::o:

Well, I cleaned off the desk, at least to get enough space to work.  I don’t want to comment about the floor around the desk, though.

My brother suddenly decided that he wanted to cast figures using some Prince August molds, so I did too.  I’ve been painting a few using my limited palette travel paint kit, and that seems to have unstuck the painting block, at least a bit.

This was my pre-work project this morning:

4D0C3D84-4623-49E3-A195-9E6D47A72082.jpeg.eb29a70d5d9f3b394e5c42be6c9891f5.jpeg

C27767B8-BCA6-40AC-B95A-517B857814B1.jpeg.ca6477787056877797a2ccb58dfea879.jpeg

These guys are “true” or “Small” 25s, so the top of his head is at Sir Forescale’s chest.

• Like 10

On 6/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, Brianuk said:

I am going to try and finish off my desert themed crew for Rangers of Shadow Deep. I basically took every Arab or Eastern themed mini I randomly had and thought 'this is the only time I am going to paint these'. I just need to finish highlighting and basing. 

Have done this. I keep finding Eastern themed minis but I now just need to finish something for my ranger character. 

Did a bit more work on the policemen and I have some other projects on the go. I am going to try and finish a few things this month. 

• Like 9

On 5/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, strawhat said:
  1. Finish Heart of the Empire (AT-DP , Ahsoka Tano)
  2. Finish Imperial Assault Core (AT-ST, Rebel Saboteurs, Rebel Troopers, Han Solo, Chewbacca, and some other clean-up)
  3. Work on other miscellaneous characters (R2-D2, C-3P0, Boba Fett, Alliance Smuggler, Hired Guns, a few others).
  4. Bonus: Get Twin Shadows well under way!

Goal 1 Accomplished!

Goal 2 has stalled out due to health and car-related issues.  I dislike working from home immensely.  I really should be able to accomplish Goal 2 if I get cracking--Just need to get past that block.  Maybe tonight.

Edited by strawhat
  • Like 7

Might as well post a mid month report because I've actually got back to painting. Not sure exactly how many russians I've done the last week because they were in various stages of painting. Very fast, tabletop quality on most of them but a lot of hand painted shields. Finished a 21 man spear unit and about half of another the same size. Supposed to rain the next couple days so I should be able to finish off the second unit soon. Had the majority of these minis for about 10 years or more with only a few individuals painted. At the moment 28 skimishers with javelins, 25 double handed axemen, 21 spearmen and 12 heavy cavalry finished. Second unit of 21 spearmen and 25 swordsmen about half finished and almost 30 cavalry not started. Want to have a unit each of archers and crossbowmen too but still need to decide how many and assemble them. If I have any of the Fireforge plastic minis left over after all that I may do a unit as the Knyaz's (prince) guard too. Looking at nearly 200 minis all told. Going to try to finish all of them this summer. 

• Like 8

This Month:

• Finish the Benkai Oni

+ Bonus Titan Forge Desert Mage.

I'm on a roll!

• Like 8

On 6/1/2020 at 10:53 AM, Evilhalfling said:

I am kinda lost in the wilderness. 

<snip> 

One large model 

dungeons and doggie - St Bernard 

2-4  reaper hobgoblins 

fix prepainted manticore. 

Finish bridge terrain

send goodwill box 

yup still lost. 

2 bones Lemurs 

started - KD archer.

4 rocks.   - apparently I'm painting rocks now:  Dragon Lake,  Space Turtle, School, and a Hippo.  I should do a thread. 

2 Flowers on 3x5 index cards.  

• Like 7

This Month:

• Finish the Benkai OniFinish the Artisan Guild Amazone Fighter

+ Bonus Desert Mage from Titan Forge.

One to go...not sure if I will make it, but for now I call it a win!

• Like 8

On 5/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, strawhat said:

I actually have a goal this month!  More than one, actually.

1. Finish Heart of the Empire (AT-DP , Ahsoka Tano)
  2. Finish Imperial Assault Core (AT-ST, Rebel Saboteurs, Rebel Troopers, Han Solo, Chewbacca, and some other clean-up)
  3. Work on other miscellaneous characters (R2-D2, C-3P0, Boba Fett, Alliance Smuggler, Hired Guns, a few others).
  4. Bonus: Get Twin Shadows well under way!

Why does this month matter?  Because it's been almost three years since I started painting IA.

Han and the Saboteurs will get finished tonight (so I'm marking them now).  Chewie might get got done (I've finally figured out his pattern, I think)...I'm less confident about the AT-ST.  One of the Hired Guns is done, the other isn't even started.

Edited by strawhat
Chewbacca, what a wookiee!
  • Like 7

Once again I did very well at putting together a measured list of sensible projects that I was already working on, and found myself being diverted into side bars and tar pits. It is silly to be too frustrated by this as this is literally a pastime but the quest to have whole armies and bands for games that other people play continues... 

I got the Rangers of Shadow Deep warband done, including camels. 

I painted up the Westwind police. Am not too happy with them but did manage to do the dark blue in a way I was happy with. 

I painted a bunch of Fantasy pirates, and with a fair wind (aargh) will finish 4 of the pirates from Pirates of the Dread Sea kickstarter.

On side bars, I kitbashed some WW2 Russians in winter uniform to make the start of a crew for Zona Alfa (a skirmish game). I also painted some proxy Stormcloaks and Imperials as an homage to Skyrim (and this month I won a civil war as well). 

Finally, on Rangers of Shadow Deep I played through Burning Light and Temple of Madness. Next stop is "Ghost Stone". That involves a lot of spectres, so I managed to paint up (very simply) 16 citadel nighthaunts and 2 ghostly horsemen. 

Am mulling over some further projects but want to get something tangible done, next month, before something very nice but not conducive to hobbying happens.

• Like 7