Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 9th.

You can get 30.000 in your Nation's currency but it will cost you a year of your life.

Will you do it and how many years will you trade?

For 30k CAD?  Yeah, come back with either another two zeroes attached to that (or even 3 more) and I might consider the offer. I gross more than that in a year, and net income after taxes, benefits, and retirement savings is fairly close to that - so in short, I'm already effectively doing such, since it's paid out throughout a year ::P:

Now, if it was a lump sum, and at least $250k....  I might consider a single year, even though boy would I prefer that amount to be much higher... But $250-300k would be tempting since I could pay off the remainder of my debt, upgrade our computers to the setup we want immediately (instead of over a year), get a vehicle (and set money aside for a maintenance budget), and move into a house that we've put a really good down payment on... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question June 9th.

You can get 30.000 in your Nation's currency but it will cost you a year of your life.

I have two answers:

A) I don't need the money. It's not that much and barely minimum wage. I'm mostly financially secure, having more won't make much of a difference.

B) I'll take $30,000,000,000 and betting I'd live over 1,000,000 years! I know, barely enough time to finish painting my minis. And I want to see the money upfront, or else no deal. If I happen to drop dead at that moment (my future self must've fallen off a ladder at the 800,000 year mark or something), my beneficiaries will party for centuries. Oh, and I want a memorial statue.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Question June 9th.

Probably, yes. I have seriously considered it, actually. I would like to try getting a cook position on a cruise ship. Room and board paid and a paycheck on top. I would want to try it for a year, to see if I wanted to go back or not. 

Now, if it was just reduce my life by 1 year to get the money now or go to sleep for a year and get paid at the end, maybe. That kind of money could set myself and my adopted family up for quite a while. Would be serious discussion time. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question June 9th.

Pass.  I don't need the cash, and while money can always be found extra years of life are hard to come by. 

Now, if I'd had the option 20-30 years ago I'd have sold a year or two, especially this one, to take care of some issues.

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question June 9th.

Oddly enough that's almost exactly what I've been doing for a long time now. Is that before or after taxes? If my life's going to wind up like many of my relatives (total memory loss, dementia and years in a nursing home) it would be very tempting. Not like those last few years are worth anything and that's about what it cost a year to take care of my dad before he passed. I'm not that desperate so probably wouldn't take it but still...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 9th.

I'm going with no. That's not enough money, and it's also hard to say without additional information. How long am I going to live anyway? If I shave off a year do I just fall over and die a year early, or does fate change and I get hit by a car instead of dying in bed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Heck no, have you SEEN the value of the Canadian dollar??

Now if it was in Euros or USD, that might be more enticing......

But I'd consider paying $15k to just skip the rest of this year and wake up tomorrow morning and it be Jan 1st, 2021.....

Even in USD, it is no where near enough. I barely make $30k CAD right now, which is worse... but like, still same order of magnitude. And $30k makes a big difference in quality of life, but still isn't easy to live off of.

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Nope, that's not nearly enough. Besides, I plan on dying at 103 in a hang gliding accident. Or something equally stupid for an old man to be doing. 

I'm only kind of joking here. The men in my family all live in to their 90's and above and more than a few of them died while enjoying something they should have given up on decades before. Looking forward to it!

You must have a pretty cool family.

Anyway, I'm either....

1) Living long enough for synthetic kidneys to replace my weary one, and then I'll live crazy long.

2) Not living long enough for that, and having them poop out on me between 75-80.

Or lastly

3) Vaccine trial goes bad, I croak, and bring about the zombie apocalypse afterward. :zombie:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 9th.

No, I make a lot more than that in a year of my life, plus I get that year of memories and life experience.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 9th.

Depends. Does the year come off the end of my life, or do I automatically age a year once the deal is agreed upon?

If it comes off the end of my life, sure, I'll trade in three years. If it's paid lump sum, I'll be able to pay off the remainder of my student loans, plus other loans I borrowed to cover a surgery. With enough left over until I finally get a decent job. No wife, no kids, and based on how crotchety the men in my family get in their old age, I'll go for it.

Now, the question is, would you all reconsider your answer if it worked more as a loan with that year held as collateral? i.e. you have the option to repay the money at a later date and regain that year?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You must have a pretty cool family.

Depends on your definition of cool. Heart attack at 93 because you decided to mow the lawn in 100+ degree heat? Not so cool. Wrecking your motorcycle at 89? A little cooler. Hurt yourself while shooting groundhogs at 102 and then refusing to tell your family or the nurse who comes by your farm every day and then dying from the infection because "Infection hasn't killed me yet?" Okay, that one was pretty cool. And the funeral was full of people laughing about all the dumb stuff he got up to in his life. 

49 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Now, the question is, would you all reconsider your answer if it worked more as a loan with that year held as collateral? i.e. you have the option to repay the money at a later date and regain that year?

Hmm. Good question. Still no. I don't much care for credit and the stress of suddenly having a $30K loan I didn't need and the associated interest would probably shorten my life by a year anyways.

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Zink said:

If my life's going to wind up like many of my relatives (total memory loss, dementia and years in a nursing home) it would be very tempting. Not like those last few years are worth anything and that's about what it cost a year to take care of my dad before he passed. I'm not that desperate so probably wouldn't take it but still...

This is how I feel. I'm kind of terrified of getting old. There's a lot of mid-life insanity in my mother's family; it's not a dementia it's more paranoid delusion and it kicks in mid-50s. There's also the standard dementia in my dad's family though to be fair, grandpa's end of life brain fog may have been radiation induced. He did some... Things... in the Navy in the 40s... :ph34r:

• Like 9

No thanks. I don't need the cash anywhere near that badly, and without knowing how many years I've got left, it would take an obscene amount for me to give up even one.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 9th.

I wonder :unsure:  if this sort of numerical punctuation & nomenclature confusion becomes a problem in Dutch Air Force technical manuals that were authored in the US, by US technical writers, for jets designed in the US, but flown by the Dutch AF. :ph34r:

Anyways: Three Zero Decimal Zero Zero  is what I like to be paid per hour.

Final answers: No and Zero

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I agree with @Cyradis.

Although depending on how you look at it, I already have. Since I spent 20 years in the Navy,  I'll take my $600,000 now, please.

That would be a heck of a recruitment incentive and a strong retainment inducement if sailors had to serve the full 20 years to qualify. :rock:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

That would be a heck of a recruitment incentive and a strong retainment inducement if sailors had to serve the full 20 years to qualify. :rock:

Well, if you make it 20 years after retirement, that's a rough amount of what you get.  Or did under the older system.  Things are somewhat different now.

• Like 7